Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Cell Phone Data Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    That was something I was wondering about - do you get an option to use wi-fi or dataplan when you log in?
    Usually the phone prioritizes wi-fi over cellular data. If you are at an unfamiliar location you need to search for wi-fi and log in, but if you have the wi-fi programmed into your phone, it will automatically connect. You can also turn off cellular data (for the whole phone or just specific apps, on the iphone) to keep it from using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Usually the phone prioritizes wi-fi over cellular data. If you are at an unfamiliar location you need to search for wi-fi and log in, but if you have the wi-fi programmed into your phone, it will automatically connect. You can also turn off cellular data (for the whole phone or just specific apps, on the iphone) to keep it from using it.
      Ah! Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone now that they are fairly cheap - maybe. But I don't want to have to worry about overages every time I use it.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

so how the heck does your granddaughter use 10GB/month?
        They didn't have wifi at home, and she watched a lot of videos. They NOW have wifi at home, so hopefully this will ease up. But, it doesn't matter, she has an UNLIMITED plan.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, while I was in Israel, I turned off WAN Data, and only used wifi -- I read about some cases where people got home from the middle east to find they had run up $9,000 worth of data!

I called ATT before I left for Israel, and they talked me into adding a foreign roaming data plan for $35 per line (wife and I) per month. When I got home, ATT called me to tell me I hadn't used any of the data on that roaming plan, so they were reimbursing me BOTH $35 charges!
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I believe our Best Buy guy DID say that Verizon does not allow ANY renewals of their unlimited data plans.
            Despite everybody and their brother telling me this was no longer possible, I was able to order the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for my wife's line but activate it on mine and still keep my unlimited data with Verizon. Yay!
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              Despite everybody and their brother telling me this was no longer possible, I was able to order the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for my wife's line but activate it on mine and still keep my unlimited data with Verizon. Yay!
              Yeah, YAY!!!! Did they try to talk you out of it, or did you already know what you wanted to do when you went in?

ETA: Or did you do this all over the phone?
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah, YAY!!!! Did they try to talk you out of it, or did you already know what you wanted to do when you went in?
                Already spoke with a few different Verizon customer service reps over the phone and had them document my account that they told me this would be possible. Didn't even bother speaking with the BestBuy people about this. Took the phone home and called Verizon and they switched it over.

Comment

Already spoke with a few different Verizon customer service reps over the phone and had them document my account that they told me this would be possible. Didn't even bother speaking with the BestBuy people about this. Took the phone home and called Verizon and they switched it over.

Comment

I use a cheap (free) Medicare phone, 250 minutes free, $5.00 for 250 minutes more after that.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Medicare provides free cell phones? Is this available to everyone or only for specific types of patients?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        I use a cheap (free) Medicare phone, 250 minutes free, $5.00 for 250 minutes more after that.
                        That's cause you're an old fart*.

*it takes one to know one

Comment

I just ordered a new iPhone 6 plus, 64GB model. Sticking with Verizon for now.

Comment

I just ordered a new iPhone 6 plus, 64GB model. Sticking with Verizon for now.
                            It's through the Federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Government link here.

The Lifeline program is available to eligible low-income consumers in every state, territory, commonwealth, and on Tribal lands. Consumers with proper proof of eligibility may be qualified to enroll.

To participate in the program, consumers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Medicaid;
                            Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);
                            Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
                            Federal Public House Assistance (Section 8);
                            Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
                            Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);
                            National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program;
                            Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;
                            Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);
                            Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);
                            Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or
                            State assistance programs (if applicable).

Comment

It's through the Federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Government link here.

The Lifeline program is available to eligible low-income consumers in every state, territory, commonwealth, and on Tribal lands. Consumers with proper proof of eligibility may be qualified to enroll.

To participate in the program, consumers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Medicaid;
                              Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);
                              Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
                              Federal Public House Assistance (Section 8);
                              Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
                              Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);
                              National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program;
                              Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;
                              Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);
                              Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);
                              Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or
                              State assistance programs (if applicable).
                              And this allows Sparko to get a free iPhone 6 Plus?

Comment

And this allows Sparko to get a free iPhone 6 Plus?
                                He makes more money, so he has to get TWO free phones.

(Yeah, I replied to the wrong post )

Comment