Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bitcoin kids remaking the world!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    And there are a couple things in the 10 commandments that are widely accepted nowadays. Should we outlaw those things Truthseeker?
    I don't understand the question.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I think most of what goes on in the Tor networks and the Silk road would not meet your approval. (a good thing)

Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
      Owning and trading in slaves. (which don't forget is still massive)
      Polyagamy.
      Drugs.
      various sexual deficiencies.
      Wearing crocs with socks.

(ok so one of those is not like the others)
      Now you could argue that they go against the first two commandments, but don't forget the first two were permitted under Mosaic Law which was given down to Moses by God.

Restricting the government to only being able to enforce the 10 Commandments would create a disaster.
      I agree with everything with what you just said, however I just wanted to state that people can use it for legitimate reasons as well (oppressive goverments like those in Iran and China.).
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        I am surprised that anyone would think Bitcoin does not work in BOINC projects and decentralized DNS servers
        It doesn't... There are other cryptocurrencies out there that work for more useful purposes. All Bitcoin ends up doing is wasting energy solving math problems when that computing power could be given to research against Cancer and Ebola...
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Because we've also seen what terrible things happen when the rule of law breaks down.
          Like in Ferguson? That is hardly a case that we can form a good government. Look, I certainly agree that we need good government. But the more we need it, the less able we are to form it! Let me use the present USA federal government as an example. Do we now have rule of law? No. Rule by men. Around 1781, it was sorta OK, but it gradually got ever worse, until it became the monster it is now. How did that happen? It's because the people are bad. Do you seriously believe that a bad people can form good government to make itself better? Now, I can explain it's better to leave the problem of security to the free market rather than to the government later if you wish.

Many of those were because good governments were stopping the bad governments from doing some seriously bad things.
          I concede that point, but I consider that inadequate. For one thing, by "good" I mean "tending to make the world better." Merely defending the nation is not good enough. What about after the war? To be sure, keeping the world from getting worse can be as good as to make it better sometimes.

How is a lack of government going to stop [extreme poverty around the world]?
          I can explain why established governments cause poverty later if you wish. To be sure, free markets won't totally eliminate poverty. For one thing, many people are lazy or lack self-confidence or are poorly trained.

The problem is over the years you've tended to subscribe to ideas that seem to require the wearing of a tinfoil hat.
          You still believe in the myth of good government.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            It doesn't... There are other cryptocurrencies out there that work for more useful purposes. All Bitcoin ends up doing is wasting energy solving math problems when that computing power could be given to research against Cancer and Ebola...
            Are you sure there are no math solution that can be used to fight cancer or Ebola?

Comment

Are you sure there are no math solution that can be used to fight cancer or Ebola?
              No, but there is research that could be done with the energy used for bitcoin mining....
              -Unknown

I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                No, but there is research that could be done with the energy used for bitcoin mining....
                For example? More that that would be welcome.

Comment

Like in Ferguson? That is hardly a case that we can form a good government. Look, I certainly agree that we need good government. But the more we need it, the less able we are to form it! Let me use the present USA federal government as an example. Do we now have rule of law? No. Rule by men. Around 1781, it was sorta OK, but it gradually got ever worse, until it became the monster it is now. How did that happen? It's because the people are bad. Do you seriously believe that a bad people can form good government to make itself better? Now, I can explain it's better to leave the problem of security to the free market rather than to the government later if you wish.
                  No. I am not American and I am not referring to the USA, random incidents in the USA generally feature very little on my personal radar.
                  I am from Africa, and I've seen what happens when there the Rule of Law breaks down.
                  Go look at countries in central America where the power lies in the hands of the drug cartels where there is no Rule of Law.

I'll reply in full later.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

No. I am not American and I am not referring to the USA, random incidents in the USA generally feature very little on my personal radar.
                    I am from Africa, and I've seen what happens when there the Rule of Law breaks down.
                    Go look at countries in central America where the power lies in the hands of the drug cartels where there is no Rule of Law.

I'll reply in full later.
                    If people do not generally follow the non-aggression principle (which include "do not steal" and "do not murder") things can get ugly, all right.

If Africa could get government that is much better than what it has, of course things would be better. Ditto, Central America. But is that not wishful thinking? Bad people somehow forming good government that then makes them better?

Am I like the prophets in the Old Testament, telling people to repent? The prophets didn't succeed and the Hebrews were made slaves or killed or whatever as punishment? I surely hope not.

Comment