Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

YES ... evolution is a religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    You know it would probably be helpful if the people in this thread defined what they meant by 'religion,' 'evolution,' and 'science.' Otherwise, I predict a lot of talking past each other. Just sayin'.
    I'm ready to, if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
      And far be it for me to think I could impact your thinking on this, I'm simply pointing out similarities betwixt the two schools of thought. Each one considers themselves landlord of the high ground but in reality, they are eerily similar.

An appeal to the masses and an appeal to authority.
      Methodological Naturalism does not claim any such high ground concerning the theist, atheist, monist, deist, polytheist nor agnostic arguments.

Comment

And far be it for me to think I could impact your thinking on this, I'm simply pointing out similarities betwixt the two schools of thought. Each one considers themselves landlord of the high ground but in reality, they are eerily similar.

An appeal to the masses and an appeal to authority.
        Such is your perception of them. Do you think it possible that you could be mistaken?

Comment

Those who accept the conclusions of evolutionary science without "doing the math" do so for the same reason that you accept that the Sun is powered by nuclear fusion even though you haven't done the math: The vast majority of scientists agree that the TOE is founded on facts and is therefore true.

You accept, without doing the math, what science tells you about physics, chemistry, meteorology, medicine, etc., until it conflicts with what you are YOU are in lockstep agreement with -- your superstitious beliefs. And when there is a conflict, you trust pastors over scientists. Because you believe religion is a better tool for discerning truth than science.

Comment

Originally posted by falvebarm View Post
            Those who accept the conclusions of evolutionary science without "doing the math" do so for the same reason that you accept that the Sun is powered by nuclear fusion even though you haven't done the math: The vast majority of scientists agree that the TOE is founded on facts and is therefore true.

You accept, without doing the math, what science tells you about physics, chemistry, meteorology, medicine, etc., until it conflicts with what you are YOU are in lockstep agreement with -- your superstitious beliefs. And when there is a conflict, you trust pastors over scientists. Because you believe religion is a better tool for discerning truth than science.
            And they're wrong.

Welcome to T'Web falvebarm .

Comment

Send more TWebbers...
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Welcome to T'Web falvebarm .
                Thanks, Tassman.

Comment

Y'all just believe what the priesthood of white coated science says. You haven't done the math for yourself. You are just in lockstep agreement with those who validate your worldview.

That's fine by me, whatevs ... But for the love of Pete, just admit it.
                  http://dilbert.com/strip/1992-02-08

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                    Nevertheless. with regard to the OP 'religion' is defined as: 1.the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods (Oxford Dictionary) and this clearly doesn't apply to Evolution or science in general.

Comment