Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliens = angels & demons?

Faith
    unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Aliens = angels & demons?

angelsaliens.jpg The movie has generated enormous interest because it seems, some say, to be based on the Book of Ezekiel, and the plot fulfills prophecies about the end of the world, visitation by aliens, wheels with wheels, and so on. I'm not as expert on Ezekiel as I should be, but I can see the parallels -- especially since it has been pointed out to me that the figures at the end might be angels, might be aliens, or might be one resembling the other.

-"Knowing" movie review by Roger Ebert.
    Questions for discussion: since angels could take human form such as with the destruction of Sodom, is it possible some could live as ETs in physical form flying UFOs with advanced technology, or living on other planets? When Satan and angels were cast from Heaven, could they have taken on a physical form? Conversely, could what some people think are flying ships actually spirit beings?

Related question, does the Bible and God's Plan in it have any room for aliens and beings not living on earth? Or are we it?

2. Amen James Cusick amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    All of these things are POSSIBLE, yes. But whether these things are PROBABLE might be a different story.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The lack of any evidence of aliens nor alien technology makes any such claims anecdotal at best, and most likely meaningless.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTeluog View Post
    All of these things are POSSIBLE, yes. But whether these things are PROBABLE might be a different story.
    That's my position, possible that angels could be considered alien life forms, but who knows. I suppose this thread could also discuss ancient alien theories, and ideas that ancient gods like Horus depicted as men/beasts may have been like cherubim of Ezekiel depicted as men/beasts, either angels misunderstood to be gods or demons claiming to be gods.

Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The lack of any evidence of aliens nor alien technology makes any such claims anecdotal at best, and most likely meaningless.
    For some Christians/theists maybe not meaningless due to lack of evidence since the premise already assumes belief in angels/demons.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm an alien agnostic.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    And the fact that any alien life would have to be more or less the same age as earth life. Until third generation stars there would not be enough heavy elements to support life, let alone get it started.

Faith
    unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    And the fact that any alien life would have to be more or less the same age as earth life. Until third generation stars there would not be enough heavy elements to support life, let alone get it started.
    Enter my belief that at least some cherubim including the Serpent were created as helpers for Adam in Genesis 2, that those creatures are not the same as animals other humans evolved from in Genesis 1. So these at least would be about the same age in my view. Again not necessarily arguing that they are aliens, but giving a theist view that doesn't slam the door on the discussion.

Faith
    Christian Omnist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    That's my position, possible that angels could be considered alien life forms, but who knows.
    Presuming angels exist, they would be aliens the same way Lovecraftian deities are aliens -- ie. extradimensional entities that exist beyond the conventional universe, and as such, beyond human comprehension -- not aliens like E.T., who have corporeal forms and live on other planets.
    What is praised is one, so the praise is one too,
    many jugs being poured into a huge basin.
    All religions, all this singing, one song.
    The differences are just illusion and vanity.
    Sunlight looks a little different on this wall
    than it does on that wall
    and a lot different on this other one,
    but it is still one light.

-- Rumi

Faith
    unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duragizer View Post
    Presuming angels exist, they would be aliens the same way Lovecraftian deities are aliens -- ie. extradimensional entities that exist beyond the conventional universe, and as such, beyond human comprehension -- not aliens like E.T., who have corporeal forms and live on other planets.
    Could they take on material form like angels in Sodom, or is it your position they weren't really flesh? How about those who took wives in Noah's time, were they angels in flesh or regular men (e.g. Sons of Seth)?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why would angels take on the form of 4 foot tall gray/green beings with large heads and huge funny shaped eyes, and why would they need to fly around in spaceships? On top of that, I don't think angels can do anything without God's permission. And what's up with the anal probing obsession? Short answer? No aliens.
    Last edited by ikaika777; 01-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.