Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Drive for bold Trekkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post

Truth be told, I should be charged for the amount of entertainment that I get out of you people.
    The ignorant are usually easily amused.

You're whipping yourself into a froth about things that you're totally making up!
    So why did you say this:

I don't know if this "emdrive" is for real or just a high-tech prank. What I do know is that this nonsensical story about traveling to other stars and extra-solar planets is a bunch of bull with two primary purposes: first, to justify the continued extraction of our hard-earned money; second, to promote the reigning Materialistic paradigm.
    Do you not remember what you wrote, just a day before?

Where, oh where, have I stated or even hinted that, "space travel, other planets,
    faster than light travel, or life on other planets would work to disprove Christianity"
    ?
    So why are you jumping in and attacking people for believing that the mere possibility of these two things is somehow due to them 'supporting the materialist world view' with post like this:

That you are "corn-fused" about this matter (just as about most other matters) comes as no surprise to me. The short answer - which is all the time that I'm giving you - is that an important part of the Materialistic worldview is a concept known as the Mediocrity Principle (also, the Copernican Principle). A logical, immediate result of this essentially demands the existence of Earth-like planets and extraterrestrial life and intelligence. This explains SETI and much more. Then there's also the financial aspect. Nothing is easier than stealing money from people when they willingly fork it over because they've been led to believe - through relentless propaganda - that "one day they'll be having tea and crumpets with Spock". I've written a lot on this but, bluntly, you can't handle it -- not intellectually and not honestly.
    Do you not remember what you wrote, just hours before? Do you not remember your ranting about extrasolar planets and how it is some sort of materialist conspiracy or whatever in the world you were ranting about. Perhaps you should wipe the foam from around your lips before you speak. Take a deep breath and think before you type.

Your extreme dislike of people like me - people that call things out for what
    they are - blinds you into believing things that you fabricate in your own mind.
    I don't dislike you. I find you as an amusing distraction and it is even more amusing that you can't even see the real applications of your own words.

Drink a soothing cup of warm tea and calm down - perhaps that will help you
    to think rationally. A nap might also help.
    I'm perfectly calm. On the other hand, you don't even seem to remember what you've said hours before. How entertaining.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Knowing how to use the internet is a rather important skill in many jobs in today's job market Jorge. I've used Google at my work, several times, to find stuff that bought from somebody outside the AF supply chain so we'd have shop manuals on it. It isn't that hard to type in 'dilithium crystals' into a search engine and read what the pages say on the search results. I am a fan of the show and am somewhat familiar with the terms, but I wasn't aware that having knowledge of a TV show somehow proved everything I said is automatically wrong. Are you next going to use the fact that I know the names of the Disney Princesses as proof that I don't know history either? Anything is better then admitting you're wrong, eh?
      Yeah, sure ... whatever.

You must be a riot at parties, Terror!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
        C.S. Lewis's "Space Trilogy" is an excellent fantasy dealing with how God might interact with extraterrestrial spiritually-aware life.

We just have to concern ourselves with Thulcandra.

Of course now, Jorge will yap about me citing science/fantasy fiction.

Whooo boy...

K54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Trilogy
        Have you read the series? I finished the first book a few weeks ago. Quite a good one. I'll have to get the second soon.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I've seen more such
          ignorant/dumb people at TWeb than in any other place in recent memory.

Jorge
          Of course you have because your monitor is a mirror.

Comment

Yeah, sure ... whatever.

You must be a riot at parties, Terror!
            Don't know how to use the internet? I understand that you just can't admit you're wrong and look for anything and everything to prove somebody is wrong. It isn't that hard though.

1. Go to Google.
            2. Type in 'dilithium crystals'.
            3. Read the results.

Third search down gives you a link right to the Star Trek Wiki. You can even use the internet to look up car repairs, news articles, service manuals, etc. It isn't hard and a pretty valuable skill to have in the modern world.

Anyway, so I take it that you're unable to explain how knowing stuff about a science fiction show somehow proves I'm wrong about everything I say and just too full of pride to admit it? I understand, your ego is incapable of admitting to error and this is the closest you can get to admitting you're wrong.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It would not affect CERTAIN things in Christianity, certainly not the most important ones.
              But to think that it would not affect Christianity AT ALL is naivete of galactic proportions.
              That is one of the primary ideological reasons why Materialists are so gun-ho about this area.

Don't you just love it when ignorant, dumb people put words in your mouth and/or
              misrepresent your actual position regarding important issues? I've seen more such
              ignorant/dumb people at TWeb than in any other place in recent memory.

Jorge
              What CERTAIN things about exoplanets and extraterrestrial life would affect Christianity???

[Edited to add: Oops! I meant CERTAIN things in Christianity.]

In other words, how would exoplanets and extraterrestrial life affect Christianity AT ALL???

K54

P.S. "Just holding your feet to the fire."

Last edited by klaus54; 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Have you read the series? I finished the first book a few weeks ago. Quite a good one. I'll have to get the second soon.
                I read it three(!) times, but back in the '70s.

Excellent handling of how the Image of God is not physical.

K54

Comment

The ignorant are usually easily amused.

So why did you say this:

Do you not remember what you wrote, just a day before?

So why are you jumping in and attacking people for believing that the mere possibility of these two things is somehow due to them 'supporting the materialist world view' with post like this:

Do you not remember what you wrote, just hours before? Do you not remember your ranting about extrasolar planets and how it is some sort of materialist conspiracy or whatever in the world you were ranting about. Perhaps you should wipe the foam from around your lips before you speak. Take a deep breath and think before you type.

I don't dislike you. I find you as an amusing distraction and it is even more amusing that you can't even see the real applications of your own words.

I'm perfectly calm. On the other hand, you don't even seem to remember what you've said hours before. How entertaining.
                  Well, I've had enough fun for today.

A while back I wrote directly to you that you're not very good at logical thinking. What I mean is that you arrive at conclusions that do not logically obtain from the premises. For example, you take a sentence that I write and - WHAMMO! - all of a sudden I'm promoting this or that when in fact I'm not.

INVARIABLY, as per you, what I'm promoting serves to vilify me - makes me some sort of "bad guy". If ONCE the opposite were to happen then I wouldn't have a case. But I do have a case - you NEVER interpret what I write in a positive sense - in which I'm a "good guy". That's a telling sign.

Such consistency can only - logically - be attributed to ulterior motives and I would bet the farm three times over that I know what those motives are (ideologically-related).

I remember perfectly well what I wrote a few hours ago, thank you. I've been writing about this subject since the 80's-90's. It was a part a paper that I wrote related to The Drake Equation and SETI.

Anyway, you have much to learn and reconsider. Do try harder, Terror.

Okay, I'm done for now.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                    I read it three(!) times, but back in the '70s.

Excellent handling of how the Image of God is not physical.
                    Yep and how it is slowly revealed why earth is known as 'The Silent Planet' is pretty good too.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well, I've had enough fun for today.
                      Enough of showing your foolishness. I understand.

A while back I wrote directly to you that you're not very good at logical thinking. What I mean is that you arrive at conclusions that do not logically obtain from the premises. For example, you take a sentence that I write and - WHAMMO! - all of a sudden I'm promoting this or that when in fact I'm not.
                      Surree. What actually is happening is that you're embarrassing yourself with the application of your own words and just back peddling faster than Willie E Coyote upon discovering that he's about to fall off a cliff. Funny how 3 other people got the same impression from you words that I got, but somehow it ends up being everybody else's fault vs you're inability to communicate what you really mean.

INVARIABLY, as per you, what I'm promoting serves to vilify me - makes me some sort of "bad guy". If ONCE the opposite were to happen then I wouldn't have a case. But I do have a case - you NEVER interpret what I write in a positive sense - in which I'm a "good guy". That's a telling sign.
                      A telling sign that pretty much everybody around here, Christian and non Christian, finds you as the 'bad guy' and a total idiot. Of course, you ignore that and pretend that you're on the 'right side', but whatever you want to tell yourself.

Such consistency can only - logically - be attributed to ulterior motives and I would bet the farm three times over that I know what those motives are (ideologically-related).
                      Or everybody finds that you're an embarrassment to Christianity and need to be addressed. As I recall, Sparko is not a TE and is, in fact, a creationist. Why do you suppose he doesn't support you? Could it be because he finds you as an embarrassment to his movement and doesn't want to be associated with you? Even most of your fellow YEC's tend to give you a wide berth. Why do you suppose they do?

I remember perfectly well what I wrote a few hours ago, thank you. I've been writing about this subject since the 80's-90's. It was a part a paper that I wrote related to The Drake Equation and SETI.
                      Surree you do.

Anyway, you have much to learn and reconsider. Do try harder, Terror.
                      Irony at its finest.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yep and how it is slowly revealed why earth is known as 'The Silent Planet' is pretty good too.
                        Oops! I just noticed you had only read the first tome "Out of the Silent Planet". The other two books flesh out (so to speak) an even deeper meaning.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by Method View Post
                          Is it just me, or is anyone else rooting for Zefram Cochrane to weigh in on the issue?

Maybe if the real one shows up...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Maybe if the real one shows up...

exactly.jpg
                            "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment