Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 8.1 Gripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 Gripes

Please give a list of your Windows 8.1 gripes.

Keep the gripes to the latest update, 8.1+

Please be specific... No "Windows 8 sucks!" or equivalent.

Tell me where to find the process or how to execute the process that produces specified gripe.

Note: I have not had the hugely negative experience with 8.1 that I've heard others complain about. The "tablet default" view is bypassable, and I haven't run into any missing functionality from a support perspective. I support people on XP, 7, 8, 8.1 from my 8.1 desktop.

I just want to understand!

Thanks
    Your ability to find the silly in the serious will take you far.

Can you easily get to the command prompt?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Can you easily get to the command prompt?
      Winkey R, "cmd" enter... arguably as easy as previous verions!
      Your ability to find the silly in the serious will take you far.

Comment

I had a issue on Windows 8 where it would allow me to login,but would not let me access my desktop and my files as well as the metro start screen.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

The amount of things changed that didn't need to be changed was too great, and if you're dumb enough to change things externally that didn't need to be changed, why the heck should I trust your judgment on internals?

I see no need for it, and neither do millions of other Windows 7 users. Learning a new control scheme is for vidya games(wasn't a big supposed selling point of Windows 8 the integration with Live?) Keep the gimmicky, paranoid, dictatorial, and unserious interfaces on phones, Xboxes and other toys where they belong. No one does actual work on those, so time spent learning how to navigate the system doesn't feel as annoyingly misspent.

Put Linus Torvalds in charge of Windows 8.2, or anyone for whom "NO REGRESSIONS!!!" is actually a serious belief and not one of a hundred buzzwords kept around for the purposes of evasion rather than inspiration. And fire the marketing department, they're doing you no favors at all.

Comment

I've had no real problems with 8.1 (apart from vmware not installing if you have Hyper-V installed, but that is the fault of VMWare, not MS Windows.)

Granted I installed Start8 and ModernMix from the beginning.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I have Classic Shell installed, so I see very little difference.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                The amount of things changed that didn't need to be changed was too great, and if you're dumb enough to change things externally that didn't need to be changed, why the heck should I trust your judgment on internals?
                The interface is probably designed by the marketing department. The internals are done by programmers. I doubt there's a connection between the competence involved in the two of them.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It forces you to merge nearly all your accounts on a single profile(skype, windows live, windows etc.). There is no start button. Trying to get multiple things going on one screen can be a pain. The new Skype is downright horrible and doesn't alert you to new messages very well. Looking for files and programs takes longer than it should. Those are a few of the things I can't stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    It forces you to merge nearly all your accounts on a single profile(skype, windows live, windows etc.). There is no start button. Trying to get multiple things going on one screen can be a pain. The new Skype is downright horrible and doesn't alert you to new messages very well. Looking for files and programs takes longer than it should. Those are a few of the things I can't stand.
                    Classic Shell seriously addresses all of those problems.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Classic Shell seriously addresses all of those problems.
                      Will have to check it out then.

Comment

I'm really computer illiterate so bear with me, but I keep hitting something that accidentally switches me out of desktop mode... all the time. How am I actually doing this?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I'm really computer illiterate so bear with me, but I keep hitting something that accidentally switches me out of desktop mode... all the time. How am I actually doing this?
                          Alt + Tab will do that
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In windows 8.1, the start button just takes you back to the metro app interface. It sux.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment