Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sparko, John Reece: solar power not good enough! I: psss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yeah, they kind of suck in regions prone to hail like here in Georgia.
    Oh bosh - the tornado tears everything off anyway.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      One thing people keep forgetting is how fragile solar cells are. They would not make a good roofing material.
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yeah, they kind of suck in regions prone to hail like here in Georgia.
      Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but according to my friend the Insurance guy...the thin film on the metal roof is very durable...as long as it's installed correctly. According to him, you can't lay it over existing roofing shingles. It need to be directly on the wood decking to minimize damage. Texas gets quite a bit of hail as well, so you would think he would know if it was durable or not. Here is a link to some examples of thin film application:

http://www.globalhomeinc.com/solar-r...metal-roofing/
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but according to my friend the Insurance guy...the thin film on the metal roof is very durable...as long as it's installed correctly. According to him, you can't lay it over existing roofing shingles. It need to be directly on the wood decking to minimize damage. Texas gets quite a bit of hail as well, so you would think he would know if it was durable or not. Here is a link to some examples of thin film application:

Interesting.

Comment

• I'm actually considering it for my next roof...if I can afford it...which I'm not sure I can...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Oh bosh - the tornado tears everything off anyway.
            I've always wondered how much of the US is tornado prone? Anyone care to illuminate this dane?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I've always wondered how much of the US is tornado prone? Anyone care to illuminate this dane?
              tornadoes can hit nearly anywhere, and hurricanes can spawn them too. But the most PRONE area is Tornado Alley which is in the middle of the country.

Comment

• There are so many better green energy potentials, why all the push for one that even working efficiently will have serious environmental impact - that is solar.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

I once dropped my cell phone. I was afraid the glass screen had cracked. The casing had come off; the battery nearly also. But I was able to put everything back together. Many months ago; and the phone is still serviceable. The screen still looks nice.
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    There are so many better green energy potentials, why all the push for one that even working efficiently will have serious environmental impact - that is solar.
                    Does that remark apply to solar PV power as well?
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      Does that remark apply to solar PV power as well?
                      Yes.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Yes.
                        Why does not someone do a table of green alternatives compared to solar PV. For each alternative, give a reason or set of reasons why it is better than solar PV, green-wise. May leave out an alternative if it seems rather unlikely to be ever commercial.

Comment

• John Reece and Sparko may be right after all. The low oil prices might persist all next year. So, this year will not be the start of the Era of Solar PV power, but rather 2016 . . . or later?

Comment

• Free courses on building your own solar PV system http://solpowerpeople.com/solarmooc-academy/

Somehow I managed to stumble on to that, but rest assured that this is reco'd by an outfit that I trust. All Sparko can make fun of is my somehow managing to stumble over something that may be valuable.

Comment

• The Golden Age of Solar PV power may be somewhat delayed, if this company is as good as it looks. http://falconridgeoil.com/ Maybe the age won't start for good until 2017?

Comment

• You can't use standard PEX tubing in constructing your solar water heating system. Extreme temperatures and pressures generated in that kind of system will rupture the standard PEX tubing. This article
                                http://commonsensehome.com/solar-water-heating/
                                offers advice on hiring an installer and much else.

Comment