Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Losing My Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love for Enemies

Matthew 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

I have found that this is very hard to do, but do it anyway. You would be amazed how much anger and stress it removes from your life.

Comment

Oh, so I should cancel that order for four dozen gross of Silly String?

Heh, I was just thinking of that verse a few minutes ago...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Thanks everyone.

I talked to my pastor yesterday - I just needed to talk. He was very supportive.

It's not an officially done deal yet but I don't have a lot of hope here. I'm still working at the moment and have a hearing-like thing on October 8. I've contacted my union rep (hey, the perks card is pretty good!) and my own attorney. I'm still stunned - I've improved so much that I didn't expect this at all.

I'm putting in applications now. No sense waiting.

I don't have a good idea of what to do yet. I don't know what to expect or what to prepare - but I'm not worrying (starting to plan, yes; worry no).

I have some negative feelings of course but I'm not mad at God. I promised to follow Him, not the other way around. He never promised the road wouldn't have a few nasty bumps - the opposite, actually. Maybe He's got something better up ahead - maybe it's a growth thing or maybe Satan is being a jerk - whatever, He's God, I'm not and I'm good with that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

I have some bad moments but overall I'm doing okay. I'm still not sure what to do, really. It's more like going through the motions. I'm not hopeless but not hopeful - don't know how to describe it. It's not a good place but I'm not sure what place I should be in - other than one more rational than that last sentence...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
              I think we need to be honest and real. Many people will be repelled by an appearance of self-induced brainwashing or a marked inability to express raw emotions during difficult times. Believers should be free to express the full-spectrum of human emotions to others and even to God Himself. The Psalms point us in this direction, for example:

Psalm 88 (vv. 1-2, 4-8, 14):

“O LORD, God of my salvation, when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
              let my prayer come before you; incline your ear to my cry.
              … I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
              I am like those who have no help,
              like those forsaken among the dead,
              like the slain that lie in the grave,
              like those whom you remember no more, for they are cut off from your hand.
              You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
              in the regions dark and deep.
              Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
              and you overwhelm me with all your waves.
              You have caused my companions to shun me;
              you have made me a thing of horror to them.
              … O LORD, why do you cast me off?

Why do you hide your face from me?”

Of course it certainly doesn't end on a bleak note, and we should definitely share the hope we have in Christ, but my goodness, let them see that we are still human.
              I understand your concern here. I think mossrose made a good point. We're not robots, of course. God knows we'll experience tough times, and the passage in Psalm 88 is fine, as we're commanded to bring our concerns to God. But it's important to remember that Christ also commanded us, "Do not worry" (Matthew 6:25). We're going to experience worry, but that's not the sin, as worry is a natural reaction (an unthinking act resulting from stimuli in our environment). Any sin that would result would be from---not our reaction---but our response (how we willingly choose to think and act in tough situations). Hence when our situation ignites a reaction of fear and worry and doubt in God's promises within us, we're to do as the Psalmist did, and take our worries to God. And in so doing, we find comfort, as we know there's no reason to worry, because God is on the throne and is in control. Thus we should, "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33)
              Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? (1 Corinthians 1:20)

Comment

I just want to hang on with this one long enough to find a new one.

Truth is, I STINK at job hunting. I don't know where to look. Never sure what I'm qualified for - my degrees are rather vanilla. And I need to find one FAST - the only time that ever happened I was transferring here. And it wasn't all that fast as I recall.

I live in a college town so for service jobs I'm over qualified and over age. Not that I won't try - I've got to do something if I end up in between.

Part of me is scared - I more know it that feel it. God is good and God is able - Teal really stinks at this, however...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I have an advice eletter that began a series on how to get published and get paid. The novella blog is a good start, but you could do more. Any questions that I might be able to answer after reading the eletter?
                  The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Did you pm it to me?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I just want to hang on with this one long enough to find a new one.

Truth is, I STINK at job hunting. I don't know where to look. Never sure what I'm qualified for - my degrees are rather vanilla. And I need to find one FAST - the only time that ever happened I was transferring here. And it wasn't all that fast as I recall.

I live in a college town so for service jobs I'm over qualified and over age. Not that I won't try - I've got to do something if I end up in between.

Part of me is scared - I more know it that feel it. God is good and God is able - Teal really stinks at this, however...

Pretty much nowadays everyone uses online sites like Monster.com, Linkedin.com, Careerbuilder.com both to hunt and to put themselves out there as available. Just be careful of scams and spams. Use a separate email address for your job hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Pretty much nowadays everyone uses online sites like Monster.com, Linkedin.com, Careerbuilder.com both to hunt and to put themselves out there as available. Just be careful of scams and spams. Use a separate email address for your job hunting.
                        The email address is important.... you would be amazed at how many people turned in job applications when I was HR Manager, using email addresses like "topstud@_________.com" or "sirdrinksalot@___" or "georgeouseyes@____". With most public mail accounts, like Yahoo, it's pretty easy to come up with an alias email address specifically for the purpose of job hunting.

And LinkedIn is great, ESPECIALLY if you signed up while still employed, and have LOTS of kudos in the areas of specialization related to the job you are seeking!

On the other hand, you would be AMAZED at how easy it is to find a job applicant on FACEBOOK, along with there all night drinking photos, political commentary, bad grammar/spelling, and.... the date/time stamps which show that the vast majority of that happened while AT WORK!
                        Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've always kept most of my goofy stuff (SCA, Tweb) separate from my real name. None of my blogs are controversial, my FB under my real name is linked to my water aerobics only and is private (I don't see the need to tell the entire planet what I do in my free time). I have several email addresses and one that I normally use for this sort of thing (may get a new one anyway...). I only have a LinkedIn page and it doesn't look like much...

Time to get started...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            The email address is important.... you would be amazed at how many people turned in job applications when I was HR Manager, using email addresses like "topstud@_________.com" or "sirdrinksalot@___" or "georgeouseyes@____". With most public mail accounts, like Yahoo, it's pretty easy to come up with an alias email address specifically for the purpose of job hunting.

And LinkedIn is great, ESPECIALLY if you signed up while still employed, and have LOTS of kudos in the areas of specialization related to the job you are seeking!

On the other hand, you would be AMAZED at how easy it is to find a job applicant on FACEBOOK, along with there all night drinking photos, political commentary, bad grammar/spelling, and.... the date/time stamps which show that the vast majority of that happened while AT WORK!

Yeah people are stupid with facebook. They just go ahead and post everything as public. I share only with my friends, and I specifically exclude anyone from my work from most of my posts (that way they can still be my facebook friend, I can keep tabs on THEM, but they only see what I specifically want them to)

and how did you know about my job email address topstud@igotfiredyetgain.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Yeah people are stupid with facebook. They just go ahead and post everything as public. I share only with my friends, and I specifically exclude anyone from my work from most of my posts (that way they can still be my facebook friend, I can keep tabs on THEM, but they only see what I specifically want them to)

*emphasis mine

How do you do that?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by SparkoTopStud
                                *emphasis mine

How do you do that?
                                You mean, how did I find out that Sparko was using topstud@igot.....

oh

that's not what you were asking.

Comment