Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What ancient peoples are you?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What ancient peoples are you?

Some of us like to talk about about our heritage, so I am curious, what ancient heritage or peoples do you relate to best?

Me, hands down Roman! As Romance speaker (The direct linguistic inheritors, and I argue in limited measure that Romance speaking peoples are it's cultural inheritors), I tend to relate to a lot to anything that has to do with Romans. And the best part about it? ANYONE can be Roman! Fight for us, embrace our ways, anyone is welcome to join! Latin ways are best ways!

EDIT: By ancient.... Mmhhhh, feel free to use anything before the period of the 7th Century AD (To allow leeway for all regions of the world).

371361481115001.jpg
    Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    To some, especially those who are friends to the World, this may as well be my description:

I'm the Spirit that denieth, All things, always stars or flowers ; That by sneers and strife supplieth

Cause to vex the Heavenly power. , I'm for Nought; and for creation: Ruin, universal death! And my life, my breath, And my very life and breath.
    Is what here they call transgression, Sin and Death ! Shouting and laughing out this word I throw : ''No !"

- from the Opera, Mefistofele

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh! And we have togas and stolas!

animal-house-posters.jpg
    To some, especially those who are friends to the World, this may as well be my description:

I'm the Spirit that denieth, All things, always stars or flowers ; That by sneers and strife supplieth

Cause to vex the Heavenly power. , I'm for Nought; and for creation: Ruin, universal death! And my life, my breath, And my very life and breath.
    Is what here they call transgression, Sin and Death ! Shouting and laughing out this word I throw : ''No !"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How would I know? I have some German and probably mostly english ancestry, so germanic?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am descended from Clovis, King of the Franks. We conquered what was left of the Western Roman Empire. No, I am not paying reparations to Andius.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    How would I know? I have some German and probably mostly english ancestry, so germanic?
    Actually that's correct! Germans and English (by virtue of their languages especially) are the modern inheritors of Angles, Saxons, Teutons, Marcomanii, Suebians, etc. basically, Germanic speakers. And they in turn can owe their common origins to the Proto-Germanic speakers that arose in Southern Scandinavia over three and half millennia ago. ;)

Even to this day, some of us draw a big distinction between Latin-Europeans and Germano-Europeans. Or in the case of the Americas, Latin-Americans and Anglo-Americans (I would be fine with Germano-Americans in the broader sense as well, considering that Franco-phone peoples are a different world from Dutcho-phones when talking about the Caribbean regions).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andius View Post
    Some of us like to talk about about our heritage, so I am curious, what ancient heritage or peoples do you relate to best?

Me, hands down Roman! As Romance speaker (The direct linguistic inheritors, and I argue in limited measure that Romance speaking peoples are it's cultural inheritors), I tend to relate to a lot to anything that has to do with Romans. And the best part about it? ANYONE can be Roman! Fight for us, embrace our ways, anyone is welcome to join! Latin ways are best ways!

EDIT: By ancient.... Mmhhhh, feel free to use anything before the period of the 7th Century AD (To allow leeway for all regions of the world).

371361481115001.jpg
    Seems like you would go with Mayan.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I am descended from Clovis, King of the Franks. We conquered what was left of the Western Roman Empire. No, I am not paying reparations to Andius.
    Hehehehe, nice.

Actually.... one of the latter Frankish kings (Of a different dynasty I think) kind of sort of did (Albeit with descendants of Romans that still inhabited the region of Latium and Ravenna). The Donation of Pepin ring any bells? ^^

But yeah... Gaul became Frankish, yes that's true, but West Francia eventually became Latin once again in due time.... muarahahaaa. (Especially with Franconian being unable to supplant Gallo-Roman and the Langues d'oil, and the institutions that came along with them , hehehe).
    Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I claim the Hobbits! They get extra breakfastsesesses.

9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Seems like you would go with Mayan.
    Appearently. However, I don't. Ethnically, I am a mestizo (European+Mesoamerican, although predominantly European), but culturally and linguistically, I am Ladino, a Spanish speaker (And in kinship with all who self-identify as Latins), most of my traditions hail back predominantly from Spanish customs (And they in turn from Roman customs ^^). Here in Guatemala (Where sizable Mesoamerican communities do exist), Ladinos and Mayans live here, but it is hardly what I'd call an amicable co-existence.... Especially since some Mayans abandon said heritage to embrace Ladinos, whilst Ladinos find the idea of embracing Mayan customs absurd (Mind you I don't share said attitude though).

Hobbit heritage sounds awesome though! Who doesn't like elevenses! I mean really! ^^
    Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am descended directly from Adam and Eve.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

12. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.