Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What ancient peoples are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ancient peoples are you?

Some of us like to talk about about our heritage, so I am curious, what ancient heritage or peoples do you relate to best?

Me, hands down Roman! As Romance speaker (The direct linguistic inheritors, and I argue in limited measure that Romance speaking peoples are it's cultural inheritors), I tend to relate to a lot to anything that has to do with Romans. And the best part about it? ANYONE can be Roman! Fight for us, embrace our ways, anyone is welcome to join! Latin ways are best ways!

EDIT: By ancient.... Mmhhhh, feel free to use anything before the period of the 7th Century AD (To allow leeway for all regions of the world).

371361481115001.jpg
    Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014, 01:01 PM.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Oh! And we have togas and stolas!

animal-house-posters.jpg

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

How would I know? I have some German and probably mostly english ancestry, so germanic?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I am descended from Clovis, King of the Franks. We conquered what was left of the Western Roman Empire. No, I am not paying reparations to Andius.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          How would I know? I have some German and probably mostly english ancestry, so germanic?
          Actually that's correct! Germans and English (by virtue of their languages especially) are the modern inheritors of Angles, Saxons, Teutons, Marcomanii, Suebians, etc. basically, Germanic speakers. And they in turn can owe their common origins to the Proto-Germanic speakers that arose in Southern Scandinavia over three and half millennia ago. ;)

Even to this day, some of us draw a big distinction between Latin-Europeans and Germano-Europeans. Or in the case of the Americas, Latin-Americans and Anglo-Americans (I would be fine with Germano-Americans in the broader sense as well, considering that Franco-phone peoples are a different world from Dutcho-phones when talking about the Caribbean regions).

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
            Some of us like to talk about about our heritage, so I am curious, what ancient heritage or peoples do you relate to best?

Me, hands down Roman! As Romance speaker (The direct linguistic inheritors, and I argue in limited measure that Romance speaking peoples are it's cultural inheritors), I tend to relate to a lot to anything that has to do with Romans. And the best part about it? ANYONE can be Roman! Fight for us, embrace our ways, anyone is welcome to join! Latin ways are best ways!

EDIT: By ancient.... Mmhhhh, feel free to use anything before the period of the 7th Century AD (To allow leeway for all regions of the world).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2155[/ATTACH]
            Seems like you would go with Mayan.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I am descended from Clovis, King of the Franks. We conquered what was left of the Western Roman Empire. No, I am not paying reparations to Andius.
              Hehehehe, nice.

Actually.... one of the latter Frankish kings (Of a different dynasty I think) kind of sort of did (Albeit with descendants of Romans that still inhabited the region of Latium and Ravenna). The Donation of Pepin ring any bells? ^^

But yeah... Gaul became Frankish, yes that's true, but West Francia eventually became Latin once again in due time.... muarahahaaa. (Especially with Franconian being unable to supplant Gallo-Roman and the Langues d'oil, and the institutions that came along with them , hehehe).
              Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I claim the Hobbits! They get extra breakfastsesesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Seems like you would go with Mayan.
                  Appearently. However, I don't. Ethnically, I am a mestizo (European+Mesoamerican, although predominantly European), but culturally and linguistically, I am Ladino, a Spanish speaker (And in kinship with all who self-identify as Latins), most of my traditions hail back predominantly from Spanish customs (And they in turn from Roman customs ^^). Here in Guatemala (Where sizable Mesoamerican communities do exist), Ladinos and Mayans live here, but it is hardly what I'd call an amicable co-existence.... Especially since some Mayans abandon said heritage to embrace Ladinos, whilst Ladinos find the idea of embracing Mayan customs absurd (Mind you I don't share said attitude though).

Hobbit heritage sounds awesome though! Who doesn't like elevenses! I mean really! ^^
                  Last edited by Andius; 09-26-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I am descended directly from Adam and Eve.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Everyone is, smart aleck!
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Doesn't count.

And by what ApologiaPhoenix has said, that's disputable, heheheheh.

Comment

Hehehehe, nice.

Actually.... one of the latter Frankish kings (Of a different dynasty I think) kind of sort of did (Albeit with descendants of Romans that still inhabited the region of Latium and Ravenna). The Donation of Pepin ring any bells? ^^

But yeah... Gaul became Frankish, yes that's true, but West Francia eventually became Latin once again in due time.... muarahahaaa. (Especially with Franconian being unable to supplant Gallo-Roman and the Langues d'oil, and the institutions that came along with them , hehehe).
                          Those were not reparations; we were just shoring up our spiritual and religious support.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Doesn't count.

And by what ApologiaPhoenix has said, that's disputable, heheheheh.
                            Why doesn't it count?

And why in the world would you believe anything Nicky has to say over what I tell you?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And why in the world would you believe anything Nicky has to say over what I tell you?
                              New Amen Button
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X