Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What ancient peoples are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm (apparently) of Cornish stock. So from perhaps one of the oldest peoples of Britain, Celtic.

We held off the Saxons, the Vikings, the Romans, the Normans, and urban hip-hop culture. Not to be messed with.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      I'm (apparently) of Cornish stock. So from perhaps one of the oldest peoples of Britain, Celtic.

We held off the Saxons, the Vikings, the Romans, the Normans, and urban hip-hop culture. Not to be messed with.
      Yep, it says something when you smell so bad Vikings won't come near you....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Uttar Pradesh and Bihar states of India is my guess.

Probably descended from both the Indo-Aryan and the Dravidian people and perhaps the Indus valley civilization.

Idk if I was descended from Arabs though my mother's family is Islamic.
        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

German, Cherokee, French, English, Irish, Scottish, and Dutch. Probably other stuff but I don't know. The ones in my family who do all the ancestry research don't share a whole lot.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
            Some of us like to talk about about our heritage, so I am curious, what ancient heritage or peoples do you relate to best?

Me, hands down Roman! As Romance speaker (The direct linguistic inheritors, and I argue in limited measure that Romance speaking peoples are it's cultural inheritors), I tend to relate to a lot to anything that has to do with Romans. And the best part about it? ANYONE can be Roman! Fight for us, embrace our ways, anyone is welcome to join! Latin ways are best ways!

EDIT: By ancient.... Mmhhhh, feel free to use anything before the period of the 7th Century AD (To allow leeway for all regions of the world).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2155[/ATTACH]
            Got swedish and danish on one side and english, welsh, scottish and irish on the otherside. I relate to my full heritage celtic and viking I love a good fight er debate er discussion.

Comment

I was less than completely about my Celtic ancestry. My great grandmother was Celtic, but she married an Englishman who killed her while in a drunken state. So while I do not blame all English, I choose to identify with my paternal grandfather, her son who took her maiden name. My grandmother was of partly Jewish blood, diluted by Celtic. The other side of the family was English. I still choose to identify as Celtic.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

My father's family is Old countryside Irish, no coat of arms, probably heavy Celtic. Mother's side, lowland German, Scotch, and French Huguenot aristocracy.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-08-2014, 05:41 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

More'n half German, 1/4 Scotch-Irish, with some English mixed in.

Alternatively, all 4 grandparents when I knew them were Presbyterian, though one great-grandparent was Methodist, one was Baptist, and four (IIRC) were Lutheran. My parents were more or less independent fundamental Baptists (though my earliest memories are of a United Methodist church), and now I'm Orthodox.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Teallaura - we didn't come up from the gutter so much as move along it a bit.**

**Hat-tip to Terry Prachett
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Scotch-Irish/English on my dad's side, and Finnish on my mom's. So strictly speaking that makes me a Briton and a... Finn. It's rather unknown how much Celt admixture there is in my ancestry, but I have an (anglicized) Irish surname, and my great great grandfather was a ginger.
                      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                        Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        11th Century Welsh-Saxon. Mom traveled a lot.
                        wes hæl! Sut wyt ti?
                        Fi hefyd, 'falle.

Da iawn, diolch. A thi?

Comment

Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                          Fi hefyd, 'falle.
                          Yeah, Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum to you, too.

Comment

I am descended from the Scottish berserkers.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              I am descended from the Scottish berserkers.
                              I knew it!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Anglo Saxon, Romanian, Frankish and Native American. Then trace it from there/
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X