Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chaotic Void's "Ask the GM Anything" Thread!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, 'nother question:

What's the player's role in a game?
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      OK, 'nother question:

What's the player's role in a game?
      That one's gonna be tricky to answer...

Basically, the player's job is to create a character in which they can explore the GM's universe. There are many Player-types out there in the wonderful world of RPGs (Everyone's got a little bit of each type in 'em)

The Actor - "Romeo? Romeo? Wherefore Art Thou, Romeo?" These are the guys and gals who play RPGs primarily for the 'Role-Playing' aspect. They'll make characters tailor-made to explore the story, and these guys couldn't Meta-Game if they tried (which is nice, especially when you're 'recycling' a plot from a movie).

The Power Gamer - "Hail to the King, Baby!" These guys play to win. They'll have characters that are virtually indestructible (save for one REALLY obscure weakness like Inner Tubes or Unicorn Flatulence or something), or at the very least HIGHLY optimized for their chosen role.

The Tactician - "Checkmate!" These guys are there for the challenge of combat. They love being able to plan stuff (their characters will be made accordingly) and relish the challenge of a good battle.

The Jackass - "Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville, and welcome to Jackass!" These players are in it to do CRAZY stuff. Sled down a hill using a Tower Shield? Yup. Suplex a Vampire? You betcha. Kill a Dragon from the inside out? Yes, and pass the Hot Sauce.

The Casual Gamer - "Eh, I'm here for the nachos" This player is mostly there for the social interaction. Usually, they're the significant other or roommate of a regular player. They're usually willing to try almost anything, as long as it's an excuse to hang out.

Pretty sure I'm missing a few 'types', but players are a complex lot.
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        That one's gonna be tricky to answer...

Basically, the player's job is to create a character in which they can explore the GM's universe. There are many Player-types out there in the wonderful world of RPGs (Everyone's got a little bit of each type in 'em)

The Actor - "Romeo? Romeo? Wherefore Art Thou, Romeo?" These are the guys and gals who play RPGs primarily for the 'Role-Playing' aspect. They'll make characters tailor-made to explore the story, and these guys couldn't Meta-Game if they tried (which is nice, especially when you're 'recycling' a plot from a movie).

The Power Gamer - "Hail to the King, Baby!" These guys play to win. They'll have characters that are virtually indestructible (save for one REALLY obscure weakness like Inner Tubes or Unicorn Flatulence or something), or at the very least HIGHLY optimized for their chosen role.

The Tactician - "Checkmate!" These guys are there for the challenge of combat. They love being able to plan stuff (their characters will be made accordingly) and relish the challenge of a good battle.

The Jackass - "Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville, and welcome to Jackass!" These players are in it to do CRAZY stuff. Sled down a hill using a Tower Shield? Yup. Suplex a Vampire? You betcha. Kill a Dragon from the inside out? Yes, and pass the Hot Sauce.

The Casual Gamer - "Eh, I'm here for the nachos" This player is mostly there for the social interaction. Usually, they're the significant other or roommate of a regular player. They're usually willing to try almost anything, as long as it's an excuse to hang out.

How would you classify the TWebbers you've gamed with?
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

There are many Player-types out there in the wonderful world of RPGs (Everyone's got a little bit of each type in 'em)
          I'd underscore this and say that there are almost any imaginable combination of the traits in almost any strength relative to the rest of them.

Based on the listings of archetypes I've seen around the web over the years the only one I would personally say you are missing is "The Real Man" as differentiated from The Power Gamer and The Jackass. The Real Man is the person who enjoys the game for its own sake (unlike the casual gamer), but likes kicking in the door. As compared to the other archetypes, he probably doesn't want to bother with all the minutia required to be a power gamer in most systems, he just wants to bash some heads. I don't know how the original definition went, but this guy probably doesn't mind dying as long as it is in an awesome way, and will just pull another character sheet off a stack (or wait around with less or more grace while waiting to be revivified in systems that allow that) and keep going. May tend to power-attack for full regardless of if it is necessary...

Actually, on second thought that sounds a lot like your definition of The Jackass... which means that the one you are missing is "The Looney". This is the guy who doesn't try to do "insanely awesome" stuff, but rather simply "utterly nutsy weird".
          Wield a trout just as often as a sword? Yep.
          Pantsy the quest-giver in the middle of the clandestine meeting at midnight in the graveyard? Sounds like fun!
          Do elaborate finger-paintings of heartwarming memories from their childhood in the blood of the dragon on the wall of his lair after the party kills them? That's the ticket!
          Have a chicken theme to all their spells, such as magic missile shooting eggs at mach 2, and fireball having what looks like a phoenix/chicken hybrid appear for a split second when the egg hits something before bursting into hundreds of flaming feathers? Indeed...

For anyone who still doesn't get it(which is probably nobody), let's try this: Whoever is playing Pinkie Pie in the campaign represented by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has a good bit of Looney in them, although not as much as you might think at first glance...
          Last edited by Draco Dei; 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            What are your recommendations on how to be a good G.M?
            Let me pass along a simple tip that makes adventures almost write themselves. Every 'monster' will have a lair that is most advantageous to themselves. Once I kept this tip in mind, I was able to write encounters much easier and with better logical flows.

Comment

Hi!

My question would be, what do you think of DM of the Rings and Darths & Droids? I learned about table-top RPGs through the former, and to this day I read the latter. Do they reflect the actual playing? I've never tried it myself, but I found it interesting since I first read about it and I've never met people who actually do it around here.
              We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
              - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
              In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
              Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                Hi!

My question would be, what do you think of DM of the Rings and Darths & Droids? I learned about table-top RPGs through the former, and to this day I read the latter. Do they reflect the actual playing? I've never tried it myself, but I found it interesting since I first read about it and I've never met people who actually do it around here.
                I had to give a quick look at both of those, as I hadn't read either of them till now (I have, however, read a good chunk of One Piece: Grand Line 3.5). They do seem to resemble a few games I've played... Ultimately, it depends on the players and the tone of the game, as well as what rule system you're using.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X