Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

cordless lawnmowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless lawnmowers

So I'm considering getting a Ryobi Cordless Lawnmower. (probably from the One+ range as I already have a One+ line trimmer, and drill and circular saw). http://www.ryobi.co.nz/NZ/Products/P...den/Lawnmowers

My reason for this is first of all our current petrol lawnmower could well be older than me and the aluminium chassis is starting to crack badly. The second is I could shortly be needing to have surgery on my wrist which will mean 6 months in plaster, which in turn means that Mine Beloved will have to be mowing the lawn, and she doesn't want to be dealing with a pull-start engine, plus the weight of a petrol motor (and the electronic start is about NZ$1000)

SO my main question is, has anyone here had any experience with cordless mowers?
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

I love the Ryobi One+ stuff, but as for cordless mower -- I have too much St Augustine Grass to even think about a cordless mower.

Ah, so it uses DUAL 18v batteries - 36v motor. Interesting!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      So I'm considering getting a Ryobi Cordless Lawnmower. (probably from the One+ range as I already have a One+ line trimmer, and drill and circular saw). http://www.ryobi.co.nz/NZ/Products/P...den/Lawnmowers

My reason for this is first of all our current petrol lawnmower could well be older than me and the aluminium chassis is starting to crack badly. The second is I could shortly be needing to have surgery on my wrist which will mean 6 months in plaster, which in turn means that Mine Beloved will have to be mowing the lawn, and she doesn't want to be dealing with a pull-start engine, plus the weight of a petrol motor (and the electronic start is about NZ$1000)

SO my main question is, has anyone here had any experience with cordless mowers?
      Every lawn mower I've ever used was cordless considering they were gas powered

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Every lawn mower I've ever used was cordless considering they were gas powered
        Cordless ELECTRIC mower.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

depends on how long the batteries last.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            depends on how long the batteries last.
            Well, relative to the size of the yard, the thickness of the grass, and the available supply of bacon.

Seriously, though, Raph.... I've used a lot of cordless tools, and Ryobi seems to be the best at battery life AND lifetime of battery. I checked some reviews on some of these mowers you're looking at, and see some pretty good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Well, relative to the size of the yard, the thickness of the grass, and the available supply of bacon.

Seriously, though, Raph.... I've used a lot of cordless tools, and Ryobi seems to be the best at battery life AND lifetime of battery. I checked some reviews on some of these mowers you're looking at, and see some pretty good stuff.
              I already have this line trimmer: http://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-one-...less_p00239357 and I am very happy with it (which is why I am considering the mower). And there are a bunch of other things I'm wanting to get that are part of the one+ range.
              I'm needing a pole pruning saw as well as hedge trimmer, I want the blower. And I am needing some more of the power tools for renovations I will be needing to do to the house (and it makes sense to stick with the Ryobi brand).

I will need another couple of batteries though (not an issue if I buy the kits as opposed to just the consoles)

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/pro...i%20One%20Plus

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

This is my house. All up I have around 300m2 of grass to mow (including the verges). The grass verge where I've put a scale bar is pretty steep.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

I already have this line trimmer: http://www.bunnings.co.nz/ryobi-one-...less_p00239357 and I am very happy with it (which is why I am considering the mower). And there are a bunch of other things I'm wanting to get that are part of the one+ range.
                  I'm needing a pole pruning saw as well as hedge trimmer, I want the blower. And I am needing some more of the power tools for renovations I will be needing to do to the house (and it makes sense to stick with the Ryobi brand).

I will need another couple of batteries though (not an issue if I buy the kits as opposed to just the consoles)

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/pro...i%20One%20Plus
                  It's a lot like handguns... I have a collection in different calibers, but that means I need to buy different bullets. I try to limit my handguns to the .38/.357, 9 mil, and 40 cal so I don't have to have a whole bunch of different kinds of bullets.

Same thing with cordless power tools... I don't want to have to have a whole bunch of different types of batteries and chargers. I'm transitioning to the Ryobi One+ system as I replace tools, so I can have a charger back in my shop, one in my office, and one in my travel tool bag. And the same battery works in quite a wide variety (over FIFTY) of tools and appliances.

I really like that the Ryobi mower uses DETACHABLE batteries, because a friend had a mower with a proprietary battery, and when it died, it was VERY EXPENSIVE to replace -- almost cheaper to buy a new mower. The fact that the Ryobi uses TWO of the same batteries increases the likelihood that you'll have a good charge when you're needing to mow.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-30-2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

This is my house. All up I have around 300m2 of grass to mow (including the verges). The grass verge where I've put a scale bar is pretty steep.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2192[/ATTACH]
                    Attachment does not work.

Comment

You could get one of those robot mowers.

Comment

You could get one of those robot mowers.
                        *Thanks for the opening. Your platter of crispy bacon is waiting for you as agreed*

Funny you should mention that Sparko. Coincidentally rogue tech has just marketed just such a device that is perfect for all of your or anyone else's needs.

We are of course working on a cheaper more economical model that doesn't come with the way kewl jet pack that is guaranteed to make you the envy of the neighborhood

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What? No laser grass cutting options?

I think it would be a good roguetech invention to have a line of lasers surrounding the yard and then when you push a button, the lasers would just cut the whole yard in an instant. It would also double as a security system, cutting off the feet of any intruders.

Comment

What? No laser grass cutting options?

I think it would be a good roguetech invention to have a line of lasers surrounding the yard and then when you push a button, the lasers would just cut the whole yard in an instant. It would also double as a security system, cutting off the feet of any intruders.
                            You really enjoy leaking secrets about rogue tech's security don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              You really enjoy leaking secrets about rogue tech's security don't you?
                              But I didn't even tell them about the mulching option.

Comment