Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Traveller's Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Traveller's Guide

I talked with Mom (mossy), and she said I could start this thread here -- so my apologies if I started it in the wrong place.

Having taken many years to do it, I made a video game called The Traveller's Guide. Last week I finished it and got it up online, and the entire thing is free for anyone interested to download and play.

[Edit: To avoid having spambots flood my site, I've changed its address and I'm no longer making the address available to the general public. But you can find the address in the contact area of my profile (under the About tab). Once you go there and get to the portal page, click "The Traveller's Guide" and that will take you to the sub-site from where you can download the game. ]

Thanks to my long time friend Inkhana for most of the game's graphics; I wouldn't have it done without her help. (And of course, thanks and praise to the Lord for giving us both the talents and tools to make it. ^_^ )
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 03-15-2024, 09:40 PM.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Hurrah! It's finally out!
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Hmm, now that I think about it, would this thread have been better posted in Computer Lab? Or somewhere else? Or is it okay where it is?
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

If it is in the wrong place somebody will whine and ask to have it moved.

No worries.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I meant to play this earlier, but I did notice this when I went to download the game. Chrome flags it as 'untrustworthy" the reason? It's not been downloaded enough times.

ETA: Argh, it says "not a valid Win32 application" when I try to run it. I meet the requirements, so I don't know what's wrong. I used primary mirror, and I used the first download option.
          Last edited by Cerebrum123; 11-27-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Man, I know that some more recent operating systems (like Windows 8) and browsers (like Internet Explorer) don't like the installer executable; I've seen that myself. I'm glad that at least you were able to download it, though; that's good. I'm totally baffled as to why you can't get the installer to run, though. Which version of Windows do you use? If you use Vista, 7 or 8 (or 10 Technical Preview), did you try running it as an administrator?

I'll try to help you get the game installed and running, even if I have to make a "manual install" zip file on my end. But I'm glad you're interested in trying it, anyway.
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
              Man, I know that some more recent operating systems (like Windows 8) and browsers (like Internet Explorer) don't like the installer executable; I've seen that myself. I'm glad that at least you were able to download it, though; that's good. I'm totally baffled as to why you can't get the installer to run, though. Which version of Windows do you use? If you use Vista, 7 or 8 (or 10 Technical Preview), did you try running it as an administrator?

I'll try to help you get the game installed and running, even if I have to make a "manual install" zip file on my end. But I'm glad you're interested in trying it, anyway.
              I use Vista, and I downloaded it with Chrome. Looks like 1 part of the problem is that Norton 360 quarantined it. I'll have to get it back out before I try again.

Comment

Hmm, I see. I often don't think about the possibility of the presence of an antimalware program, though I do mention on the download site that if it gives trouble it should be temporarily disabled before downloading and running the game installer.

Perhaps, like I said in my post above, I should consider packing the game into a zip file in such a way that'll let the player manually install the game, with a text file containing instructions on how to do it -- just in case anyone else has trouble.

If you're still having trouble with the installer executable, hang in there a bit until I have a chance to get that done and I'll post here again once it is.
                ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

There's now a manual install package (complete with instructions) available for download from the site, in the event the automatic installer fails. Hopefully that will help you guys that have been having trouble with the latter. ^_^ If anyone still has trouble with it, please let me know.

(And my apologies for double-posting.)
                  Last edited by The Melody Maker; 11-28-2014, 06:37 AM.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Downloading again. Will update when I try things out again.

Comment

I got it working!

A couple things.

1. I was glad to see that it had partial controller support, as for most games I pretty much require it. However, the d-pad, and the triggers on my 360 controller wouldn't register for some reason. Are you using dinput, or xinput? I can always use xpadder to configure those, but it would be nice for the game to recognize them.

2. Doors are so far the most frustrating thing in the game. It can often times be difficult, especially using a gamepad, to be able to walk through them. I get right up there, but it takes a while of adjusting Melody's position to actually go through, unless you have a wall to use to line yourself up.

Other than that, it's definitely interesting. Looks like it will be much more complex than I imagined. It kind of takes me back to Spiritual Warfare(prayer system, fruits of the spirit) for the NES, but without the fighting(you used the fruits of the spirit, literal fruits, and threw them at people , that is until you got the Sword of the Spirit).

Comment

I have learned from playing this game that I am terrible at jumping and "praying" for an enemy, but I rock at dialog and saving!

(He's working today, he'll be home early afternoon.......)

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          I got it working!
                          Yay -- that's great. ^__^

1. I was glad to see that it had partial controller support, as for most games I pretty much require it. However, the d-pad, and the triggers on my 360 controller wouldn't register for some reason. Are you using dinput, or xinput? I can always use xpadder to configure those, but it would be nice for the game to recognize them.
                          I don't know whether it helps to know this, but for the DirectDraw port I use DirectInput 7 while for the Direct3D port I use DirectInput 8. It's possible that if it's a fairly newer controller you're using, DirectInput 7/8 may simply not know how to recognize some newer controller functions, and I apologize for that.

I can suggest one thing, though, based on my own experience. On the PS1 controller that I use, I can use either the analog stick or D-pad -- but only one or the other. However, I found that the analog stick doesn't recognize diagonal input like the D-pad does. But to use the D-pad, I have to disable the analog stick with the button on it that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if your 360 controller is like that or not, but if so it's worth a try.

2. Doors are so far the most frustrating thing in the game. It can often times be difficult, especially using a gamepad, to be able to walk through them. I get right up there, but it takes a while of adjusting Melody's position to actually go through, unless you have a wall to use to line yourself up.
                          I know, and I apologize for that; that was poor design on my part, at least earlier in the game. A little bit later, I started making doors two tiles wide so it wouldn't be so hard to navigate. If it helps at all, if you have trouble lining up Melody with a door, try using the keyboard controls. That should make it easier.

Other than that, it's definitely interesting. Looks like it will be much more complex than I imagined. It kind of takes me back to Spiritual Warfare(prayer system, fruits of the spirit) for the NES, but without the fighting(you used the fruits of the spirit, literal fruits, and threw them at people , that is until you got the Sword of the Spirit).
                          I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far. ^__^ Let me know if you get stuck anywhere, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I have learned from playing this game that I am terrible at jumping and "praying" for an enemy, but I rock at dialog and saving!
                          You're a lot better than Mr. mossy; he's also terrible at running.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            Yay -- that's great. ^__^

I don't know whether it helps to know this, but for the DirectDraw port I use DirectInput 7 while for the Direct3D port I use DirectInput 8. It's possible that if it's a fairly newer controller you're using, DirectInput 7/8 may simply not know how to recognize some newer controller functions, and I apologize for that.
                            That's probably the problem, as official wired xbox 360 controllers primarily use Xinput. They are shifting everything over to that because of it too.

I can suggest one thing, though, based on my own experience. On the PS1 controller that I use, I can use either the analog stick or D-pad -- but only one or the other. However, I found that the analog stick doesn't recognize diagonal input like the D-pad does. But to use the D-pad, I have to disable the analog stick with the button on it that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if your 360 controller is like that or not, but if so it's worth a try.
                            Nope, the official 360 controllers don't have such options. Certain off-brand usb controllers(or in some cases name brands like Logitech) have a Dinput/Xinput switch on them, but Microsoft wasn't having any of that.

Yeah, I had also forgotten about the diagonal movement. Odd that an analog stick won't register that.

I know, and I apologize for that; that was poor design on my part, at least earlier in the game. A little bit later, I started making doors two tiles wide so it wouldn't be so hard to navigate. If it helps at all, if you have trouble lining up Melody with a door, try using the keyboard controls. That should make it easier.
                            That's good to know. Should make it more enjoyable when I get a little further.

I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far. ^__^ Let me know if you get stuck anywhere, and I'll do my best to help you out.
                            Thanks. I remember something about an RPG style game also being in the works. I'd love to see how that turns out.

You're a lot better than Mr. mossy; he's also terrible at running.
                            Trying to imagine them playing something like Super Mario Bros.

Comment

Originally posted by brum
                              Trying to imagine them playing something like Super Mario Bros.
                              I suck at that, too.

But I am pretty good at Final Fantasy!

Comment