Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Traveller's Guide

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I got it working!

A couple things.

1. I was glad to see that it had partial controller support, as for most games I pretty much require it. However, the d-pad, and the triggers on my 360 controller wouldn't register for some reason. Are you using dinput, or xinput? I can always use xpadder to configure those, but it would be nice for the game to recognize them.

2. Doors are so far the most frustrating thing in the game. It can often times be difficult, especially using a gamepad, to be able to walk through them. I get right up there, but it takes a while of adjusting Melody's position to actually go through, unless you have a wall to use to line yourself up.

Other than that, it's definitely interesting. Looks like it will be much more complex than I imagined. It kind of takes me back to Spiritual Warfare(prayer system, fruits of the spirit) for the NES, but without the fighting(you used the fruits of the spirit, literal fruits, and threw them at people , that is until you got the Sword of the Spirit).

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have learned from playing this game that I am terrible at jumping and "praying" for an enemy, but I rock at dialog and saving!

(He's working today, he'll be home early afternoon.......)

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

3. Amen Cerebrum123, The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I got it working!
    Yay -- that's great. ^__^

1. I was glad to see that it had partial controller support, as for most games I pretty much require it. However, the d-pad, and the triggers on my 360 controller wouldn't register for some reason. Are you using dinput, or xinput? I can always use xpadder to configure those, but it would be nice for the game to recognize them.
    I don't know whether it helps to know this, but for the DirectDraw port I use DirectInput 7 while for the Direct3D port I use DirectInput 8. It's possible that if it's a fairly newer controller you're using, DirectInput 7/8 may simply not know how to recognize some newer controller functions, and I apologize for that.

I can suggest one thing, though, based on my own experience. On the PS1 controller that I use, I can use either the analog stick or D-pad -- but only one or the other. However, I found that the analog stick doesn't recognize diagonal input like the D-pad does. But to use the D-pad, I have to disable the analog stick with the button on it that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if your 360 controller is like that or not, but if so it's worth a try.

2. Doors are so far the most frustrating thing in the game. It can often times be difficult, especially using a gamepad, to be able to walk through them. I get right up there, but it takes a while of adjusting Melody's position to actually go through, unless you have a wall to use to line yourself up.
    I know, and I apologize for that; that was poor design on my part, at least earlier in the game. A little bit later, I started making doors two tiles wide so it wouldn't be so hard to navigate. If it helps at all, if you have trouble lining up Melody with a door, try using the keyboard controls. That should make it easier.

Other than that, it's definitely interesting. Looks like it will be much more complex than I imagined. It kind of takes me back to Spiritual Warfare(prayer system, fruits of the spirit) for the NES, but without the fighting(you used the fruits of the spirit, literal fruits, and threw them at people , that is until you got the Sword of the Spirit).
    I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far. ^__^ Let me know if you get stuck anywhere, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I have learned from playing this game that I am terrible at jumping and "praying" for an enemy, but I rock at dialog and saving!
    You're a lot better than Mr. mossy; he's also terrible at running.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    Yay -- that's great. ^__^

I don't know whether it helps to know this, but for the DirectDraw port I use DirectInput 7 while for the Direct3D port I use DirectInput 8. It's possible that if it's a fairly newer controller you're using, DirectInput 7/8 may simply not know how to recognize some newer controller functions, and I apologize for that.
    That's probably the problem, as official wired xbox 360 controllers primarily use Xinput. They are shifting everything over to that because of it too.

I can suggest one thing, though, based on my own experience. On the PS1 controller that I use, I can use either the analog stick or D-pad -- but only one or the other. However, I found that the analog stick doesn't recognize diagonal input like the D-pad does. But to use the D-pad, I have to disable the analog stick with the button on it that allows me to turn it off. I don't know if your 360 controller is like that or not, but if so it's worth a try.
    Nope, the official 360 controllers don't have such options. Certain off-brand usb controllers(or in some cases name brands like Logitech) have a Dinput/Xinput switch on them, but Microsoft wasn't having any of that.

Yeah, I had also forgotten about the diagonal movement. Odd that an analog stick won't register that.

I know, and I apologize for that; that was poor design on my part, at least earlier in the game. A little bit later, I started making doors two tiles wide so it wouldn't be so hard to navigate. If it helps at all, if you have trouble lining up Melody with a door, try using the keyboard controls. That should make it easier.
    That's good to know. Should make it more enjoyable when I get a little further.

I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far. ^__^ Let me know if you get stuck anywhere, and I'll do my best to help you out.
    Thanks. I remember something about an RPG style game also being in the works. I'd love to see how that turns out.

You're a lot better than Mr. mossy; he's also terrible at running.
    Trying to imagine them playing something like Super Mario Bros.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by brum
    Trying to imagine them playing something like Super Mario Bros.
    I suck at that, too.

But I am pretty good at Final Fantasy!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

7. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I remember something about an RPG style game also being in the works. I'd love to see how that turns out.
    You're probably thinking of Special Delivery, my friend Inkhana's project. I've been helping her with it by way of the programming and the music. It's still under construction, but we've got part of it done if you ever want to check it out.

http://specialdelivery.christianmanga.com/

Incidentally, she helped me out with most of the graphics in The Traveller's Guide. While most of the art near the beginning is mine, she pretty much takes over the art for the rest of the game once you get to Noleamu. ^_^
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight_spam!

9. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I suck at that, too.
    You should see some of the new ones. They made it so that as long as one person is decent, all 4 people(if you have that many playing) will be able to make it.

But I am pretty good at Final Fantasy!
    I still need to beat my PSP version.

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I totally forgot to mention this here, but since the game was completed I also took the liberty of making a strategy guide for the game. It's available in two different formats -- a downloadable HTML Help format for offline viewing (which requires Windows), and an online HTML format for users of any browser & OS. Feel free to take a look if you get stuck playing, or if you've never played but you're curious to see what the game's about.

When Windows 10 is officially released at the end of July, I may be typing up some errata for a couple of parts of the manual which mention it, since the preview's interface has changed from the Windows 8 look and feel that was present at the time I originally typed up the manual. (And I need to make totally sure that the game will still work out of the box, but so far it looks promising. ) [Quick edit: Errata typed up and included with the version 3.7.4 manual.]
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 09-23-2015 at 09:26 AM.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight_spam!

12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Traveller's Guide has been updated to version 3.7.4, and fixes a bug which appears in Windows 10 and also updates the manual's Troubleshooting page with the aforementioned Windows 10 related errata.

This is a critical fix for Windows 10 users, but optional for anyone using an earlier version of Windows.
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 08-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight_spam!

14. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you have screenshots of all the main actions you do in the game? What kind of game is it? Are those on your website?