Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

For Jorge, how “just so stories” become testable scientific theories.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
    A real grab-bag of ideas there JR.

I see that you are unable to decide between the plumb-pudding model of the atom and the Bohr model.

Which shows your understanding of science. Do you realise that it's the Bohr model, with its much greater explanatory power, helped give rise to the transistor and hence modern computers on which you write your posts?

?
    decide between? .....huh? what?

how do you get that its one or the other,

this was just a list.

here is what I have read:
    "plumb-pudding' was replaced by Bohr (or Rutherford-Bohr model)

then Bohr model was replaced by Erwin Schrodinger's model

and I read that semi conductors are the result of Schrodinger's idea.

but perhaps the EPA is not a reliable source
    http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/rutherford.html
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

jordanriver had listed:
      I am not confident in picking something that is famous for being SELF CORRECTING, ...a lot, self-correcting a lot

a whole lot
      self corrected BELIEFS such as:

The BELIEF that Ramapithecus was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Piltdown Man was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Zinjanthropus was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Homo habilis was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Australopithecus africanus (the Taung Child) was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Australopithecus afarensis (Lucy) was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Ardipithecus was our ancestor
      The BELIEF that Mitochondrial Eve was our ancestor

....all since superseded by new "information"
      Hmmm. I don't think you understand what those fossils mean in the context of "our ancestor". They are "our ancestor" in the sense that the are probably more or less closely related to the direct line of descent leading to us.

?
      that's NOW, Roland

That's the current strategy, cladistics instead of linear trees

The BELIEFS were based on past practices of publicity and ballyhoo , when new specimen discovered by paleoanthropologists.
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Hear, hear.

I don't mind being a sinner, sick, living in darkness, unsaved - given the antics of many who claim to be saved, born again, and walking with the Lord.

This is not a shot an many sensible Christians who live in a world in which this kind of language is the norm. But for other Christians who live in that world, it's far better, and dare I suggest, far more Godly to be lost, sick and in darkness.
        Do you have to light a match to see the Sun?

I feel for you...

K54
        Last edited by klaus54; 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM. Reason: wrong respondant

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
          that's NOW, Roland

That's the current strategy, cladistics instead of linear trees

The BELIEFS were based on past practices of publicity and ballyhoo , when new specimen discovered by paleoanthropologists.
          JR,

Do I have to light a match to see the Sun?

I feel for you...

K54

Comment

The deal was, no recombination for mitochondrial DNA.

But they discovered some of Pop's DNA in it after all.

I had big post about that before old TWEB went away

so no more HYPOTHETICAL Mitochondrial Eve
            Rare occurrences of inheritance of mitochondria from the father do not invalidate the general principle of reduction of mitochondrial ancestors in each generation, or that they are (almost) exclusively female. So... why is mitochondrial eve not our ancestor?

Roy
            Last edited by Roy; 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

half-truths? what"

I pointed out that you showed de novo genes come from non coding regions ,
              in your ''“DeNovo Origin of Human Protein-Coding Genes” or How Some New Genes Come About' thread'
              your post 1

I never claimed that you therefore believe there is no such thing as junk DNA.

What was wrong with my quip at your comment, given that it was made in this context:-

Originally posted by JR
              and people thought they 'knew' based on dozens of "theories" but it turns out their "knowledge" wasn't knowledge after all, JUST FAITH:

(Biology)
              Spontaneous generation
              Maternal impression

Pure behaviorist explanations for language acquisition in infancy
              (Medicine)
              Theory of the four bodily humours/Four temperaments,
              Eclectic Medicine,
              Physiognomy, and phrenology

....the Lamarckism was wrong
              ....later epigenetics , maybe Lamarckism is right

The belief that junk DNA is useless , later, as Roland informed us, de novo genes from the non coding regions

Comment

decide between? .....huh? what?

how do you get that its one or the other,

this was just a list.

here is what I have read:
                "plumb-pudding' was replaced by Bohr (or Rutherford-Bohr model)

then Bohr model was replaced by Erwin Schrodinger's model

and I read that semi conductors are the result of Schrodinger's idea.

but perhaps the EPA is not a reliable source
                http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/rutherford.html
                But that whole list was according to you:-

Originally posted by JR
                and people thought they 'knew' based on dozens of "theories" but it turns out their "knowledge" wasn't knowledge after all, JUST FAITH:

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Do you have to light a match to see the Sun?

I feel for you...

K54
                  No need to K54.

I know (or knew) of many Christians who, if God does exist, witness to a God who is worthy of worship. This includes many who are deeply conservative, and even fundamentalist in outlook. OTOH, there are many others who witness to a dimwitted god.

It's all down to the fruit they bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Rare occurrences of inheritance of mitochondria from the father do not invalidate the general principle of reduction of mitochondrial ancestors in each generation.

Roy

4 out of 5 human data sets showed recombination
                    SCIENCE AAAS
                    'Pop's Surprising Influence on Mom's DNA' Dec 1999

Researchers have assumed that mtDNA passes only through the mother, in part because experiments have shown that eggs destroy sperm after fertilization, and that mitochondrial traits, including a variety of inherited disorders, seem to come only from mothers. But some mtDNA sequences didn't fit neatly into a tree of maternal descent (Science, 5 March, p. 1435), so Philip Awadalla of the University of Edinburgh and Adam Eyre-Walker and John Maynard Smith of the University of Sussex in Brighton decided to look for signs of mixing between paternal and maternal mtDNA.

Such mixing, which commonly happens to the chromosomal DNA during germ cell formation, is called recombination. It takes place when a piece of DNA inherited from one parent crosses over and pairs up with a strand inherited from the other. This generates a novel DNA molecule combining features donated from both parents. To probe whether recombination occurs in the mitochondrial genome, the researchers analyzed DNA variations. In four out of five human data sets and one chimp set, nonrandom mutations at distant sites were less likely to be linked than nearby mutations--implying recombination between maternal and paternal DNA, says Eyre-Walker.
                    http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno.../12/23-03.html

TheScientist May 2004 'Mitochondrial DNA recombines'
                    "Recombination occurs in human mitochondrial DNA, says a team from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, in a “proof of concept” paper in Science this week that they say overturns current dogma of maternal inheritance and non-recombination..."

but they still will not give up the original theory"
                    The work has “exciting implications for mitochondrial DNA repair and replication,” he said. However, the results do not challenge the idea that human maternal mitochondrial DNA changes only very slowly over time and consists solely of genetic material from the mother, Khrapko said. “It does not challenge the idea of a mitochondrial DNA molecular clock or structure of genealogical trees.”

(to give both sides)

So... why is mitochondrial eve not our ancestor?

Roy
                    your proof is contaminated now.

Comment

your proof is contaminated now.
                      Given that the 2004 paper was 10 years ago, then has subsequent research shown that mitochondrial DNA analysis is now completely useless?

(Besides, given that both mitDNA perspectives are just faith perspectives, going by your previous arguments, then why do you choose one faith over the other? Is it because it supposedly reinforces your other faith belief? But why should that be chosen over any other faith belief (say the counter belief), given that its all just faith?)
                      Last edited by rwatts; 10-14-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Given that the 2004 paper was 10 years ago, then has subsequent research shown that mitochondrial DNA analysis is now completely useless?
                        not to anti-Creationists. They still believe it demonstrates a female ancestor from Africa 200KYA

Comment

It's all down to the fruit they bear.

where did you come up with that term "fruit they bear"

sounds familiar

Comment

sounds familiar
                            Where do ya think?

And instead of niggling over mitochondrial DNA (which BTW blows your 6-10Ka out of the water) - How's 'bout you look at the obvious things, ya know like rocks, and stars, radioactive decay, Technitium. the Lunar tidal lock, ... blah, blah, blah...

Of course in Kindergarten I thought like you.

And I believed in Santy Claus...

But you probably have me on ignore since you'd rather shoot spitwads than see the obvious.

K54

Comment

?

just occurred to me, (I admit, I am slow to catch on)

I hope my list didn't really shake your faith up that much,

so that if 10 years goes by,
                              you assume that whatever the research claimed,
                              is probably superseded by now?

Comment

sounds familiar
                                I often wonder just how many verses creationists have snipped from their Bibles, because of inconvenience.

JR, it's in my Bible. What about yours?

Comment