Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 technical preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 technical preview

Microsoft is making a technical preview of Windows 10 available for anyone who wants to try it:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/preview

I've tried it in a virtual machine, and so far it seems to be a definite improvement over 8/8.1. Upon startup it takes you right to the desktop, and the Start menu now more closely resembles that of Windows 7 and earlier.

...But my own game The Traveller's Guide won't play music in it. It plays sound effects but no music, and raises no error messages upon said failure to play music. I must investigate...
    [Quick edit: I figured it out. All it took to fix it was to restore a missing system file by copying it over from another folder. Now it's working. ^__^ ]
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

What happened to Windows 9?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

How do you get a virtual machine? Sounds cool, but am leery of downloading just anything...

Comment

I heard somewhere that although Microsoft was originally going to call it Windows 9, they found that people too easily confused the name with Windows 95 & 98 -- so they skipped over 9 and went to 10. I guess it makes sense.

I use a virtual machine manager called VirtualBox:
        https://www.virtualbox.org/

I've tried a few different virtual machine managers, and have found that VirtualBox works best -- but that's only my opinion. If you do try VirtualBox with the Windows 10 preview, be sure to set up the virtual machine as a Window 8 VM; that's what I had to. Setting it up as "other Windows" caused the installer to crash right away.

If you try it, have fun.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Does digital native count for being able to try it out?

Comment

I'm not sure what "digital native" means, but it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account to try the Windows 10 preview. No prerequisites necessary to download VirtualBox, though.
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
              I'm not sure what "digital native" means, but it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account to try the Windows 10 preview. No prerequisites necessary to download VirtualBox, though.
              It means that PCs have been around longer than I have been alive. Born in 1990.

Comment

Whippersnapper...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Whippersnapper...

Comment

hmmmmm
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      It means that PCs have been around longer than I have been alive. Born in 1990.
                      GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

And turn down that blasted racket that you young'uns call music these days.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

And turn down that blasted racket that you young'uns call music these days.
                        I like orchestral music!!!

Comment

Banging a pot with a wooden spoon is not the same thing as playing the timpani...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Banging a pot with a wooden spoon is not the same thing as playing the timpani...

My wife tried to get me to go to the timpani one time, but I told her I didn't have a tux.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My son used to play a timpani (and other percussive stuff).

Now he uses that stuff in his own music.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment