Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 technical preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My wife tried to get me to go to the timpani one time, but I told her I didn't have a tux.
    Had a girlfriend who liked to go. She kept orchestrating trips there. One time I had to leave for a few minutes to take care of some, um, roguish business, and she was quite miffed. I reassured her that I'll be Bach.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Had a girlfriend who liked to go. She kept orchestrating trips there. One time I had to leave for a few minutes to take care of some, um, roguish business, and she was quite miffed. I reassured her that I'll be Bach.
      I would rather go Chopin than go to the timpani.

But I always take along my Chopin Liszt.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        What happened to Windows 9?
        Got eaten by window's 10.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Virtualbox didn't like my usb. Maybe I should use a cd/dvd?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

try out Windows 10.png
            Help??? Don't know why it doesn't like me. My laptops a year old and it's Windows 8.1!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2300[/ATTACH]
              Help??? Don't know why it doesn't like me. My laptops a year old and it's Windows 8.1!
              Erm, what are you doing?
              Step 0: Download the image file( It should have a ending of .iso).
              Step 1: Open Virtualbox!
              Step 2: Click New.
              Step 3: Pick a name.
              Step 4: Set the Virtualbox OS to Windows 8.1/8. (Yes, I know it's windows 10, but until it gets a official release, you just use this).
              Step 5: Click Next.
              Step 6: If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, allocate the system 2-3 GB of RAM. Otherwise, try with one GB.
              Step 6: Create a virtual hard drive with acronym VDI.
              Step 7: Give the system around 10-15 GB of RAM!
              Step 8: Click Next.
              Step 9: Make the drive dynamically allocated.
              Step 10: Press start on the virtualbox window when the Windows 10 virtual machine is selected.
              Step 11: Select the ISO you downloaded from microsoft.
              Step 12: Setup Windows 10.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                Erm, what are you doing?
                Step 0: Download the image file( It should have a ending of .iso).
                Step 1: Open Virtualbox!
                Step 2: Click New.
                Step 3: Pick a name.
                Step 4: Set the Virtualbox OS to Windows 8.1/8. (Yes, I know it's windows 10, but until it gets a official release, you just use this).
                Step 5: Click Next.
                Step 6: If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, allocate the system 2-3 GB of RAM. Otherwise, try with one GB.
                Step 6: Create a virtual hard drive with acronym VDI.
                Step 7: Give the system around 10-15 GB of RAM!
                Step 8: Click Next.
                Step 9: Make the drive dynamically allocated.
                Step 10: Press start on the virtualbox window when the Windows 10 virtual machine is selected.
                Step 11: Select the ISO you downloaded from microsoft.
                Step 12: Setup Windows 10.
                I put it on a DVD. I left everything on default settings. That's what I did. So, I should start it from the file in the download folder? How? Since I already created the machine. It just doesn't have an OS yet.

Comment

I put it on a DVD. I left everything on default settings. That's what I did. So, I should start it from the file in the download folder? How? Since I already created the machine. It just doesn't have an OS yet.
                  When you click start, it will usually ask you where it should read from and then you click the folder icon in order to select the image/iso file you downloaded. You then click the continue button.
                  "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                  -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I support the :
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll see if it works. I haven't played around with virtualbox before.
                    It didn't work...

Comment

Start again, trying these steps.
                      Run VirtualBox.
                      In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, click New. The Create Virtual Machine wizard appears.
                      In the Name and operating system page, in the Name box, type a name for your virtual machine, for example "Win8VM".
                      In the Type box, click Microsoft Windows.
                      In the Version box, click Windows 8.1 (32-bit) or Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to match the architecture of your Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Continue.
                      In the Memory size page, select the amount of memory to allocate to your virtual machine (minimally, 2 GB (2048 MB); 4 GB (4096 MB) is optimal), and click Continue.
                      In the Hard drive page, click Create a virtual hard drive now, and click Create. The virtual machine is created, and the Create Virtual Hard Drive wizard appears.
                      In the Hard drive file type page, leave the VDI (VirtualBox Disk image) option selected, and click Continue.
                      In the Storage on physical hard drive page, click Dynamically allocated, and click Continue.
                      In the File location and size page, leave the virtual hard drive file name unchanged (for example, "Win10VM").
                      Select the size of the virtual hard drive (since this is your image's upper size limit, we recommend at least 40 GB), and click Create. The virtual hard drive is created, and the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
                      Associate your virtual machine with your downloaded Windows 10 .iso file: in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") selected, click Settings.
                      In the Settings page, click Storage.
                      In the Storage Tree list, click the Controller: IDE entry, and click the Add CD/DVD Device icon (the icon of a CD with a plus symbol on top of it).
                      In the You are about to add a new CD/DVD drive to controller IDE dialog box, click Choose disk.
                      Browse to and select the Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Open.
                      In the Storage Tree list, the Windows 10 .iso file appears under the Controller: IDE entry. Click OK. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
                      Start the virtual machine: with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") still selected, click Start.
                      Note:If a You have the Auto capture keyboard option turned on dialog box appears, make a note of which shortcut key combination is currently set to capture or uncapture the keyboard and mouse (by default, this shortcut key is Left Command), and click OK.
                      Note:When the keyboard and mouse are captured, only your virtual machine can interact with them. When the keyboard and mouse are uncaptured, your other apps can interact with them. Press the shortcut key to toggle between these captured and upcaptured states.
                      If you have questions, just go to the shoutbox.
                      -Unknown

I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd like to throw something else in here that I thought of if I might. You should make sure that virtualization technology is enabled in your physical computer's BIOS settings. In many computers, it's by default disabled. If it's disabled, even if your processor has more than one core, you won't be able to use more than one in VirtualBox -- and the guest OS will run very slowly as a result. I think it takes on more than one name depending on the computer/motherboard make, but in mine it's called VT-x (or something like that).

Hopefully that helps.
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Start again, trying these steps.
                          Run VirtualBox.
                          In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, click New. The Create Virtual Machine wizard appears.
                          In the Name and operating system page, in the Name box, type a name for your virtual machine, for example "Win8VM".
                          In the Type box, click Microsoft Windows.
                          In the Version box, click Windows 8.1 (32-bit) or Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to match the architecture of your Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Continue.
                          In the Memory size page, select the amount of memory to allocate to your virtual machine (minimally, 2 GB (2048 MB); 4 GB (4096 MB) is optimal), and click Continue.
                          In the Hard drive page, click Create a virtual hard drive now, and click Create. The virtual machine is created, and the Create Virtual Hard Drive wizard appears.
                          In the Hard drive file type page, leave the VDI (VirtualBox Disk image) option selected, and click Continue.
                          In the Storage on physical hard drive page, click Dynamically allocated, and click Continue.
                          In the File location and size page, leave the virtual hard drive file name unchanged (for example, "Win10VM").
                          Select the size of the virtual hard drive (since this is your image's upper size limit, we recommend at least 40 GB), and click Create. The virtual hard drive is created, and the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
                          Associate your virtual machine with your downloaded Windows 10 .iso file: in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page, with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") selected, click Settings.
                          In the Settings page, click Storage.
                          In the Storage Tree list, click the Controller: IDE entry, and click the Add CD/DVD Device icon (the icon of a CD with a plus symbol on top of it).
                          In the You are about to add a new CD/DVD drive to controller IDE dialog box, click Choose disk.
                          Browse to and select the Windows 10 .iso file that you downloaded earlier, and click Open.
                          In the Storage Tree list, the Windows 10 .iso file appears under the Controller: IDE entry. Click OK. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager page reappears.
                          Start the virtual machine: with the Windows 10 virtual machine entry (for example, "Win10VM") still selected, click Start.
                          Note:If a You have the Auto capture keyboard option turned on dialog box appears, make a note of which shortcut key combination is currently set to capture or uncapture the keyboard and mouse (by default, this shortcut key is Left Command), and click OK.
                          Note:When the keyboard and mouse are captured, only your virtual machine can interact with them. When the keyboard and mouse are uncaptured, your other apps can interact with them. Press the shortcut key to toggle between these captured and upcaptured states.
                          If you have questions, just go to the shoutbox.
                          Much easier to do it this way:

1. Take your computer outside.
                          2. Shoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            I'd like to throw something else in here that I thought of if I might. You should make sure that virtualization technology is enabled in your physical computer's BIOS settings. In many computers, it's by default disabled. If it's disabled, even if your processor has more than one core, you won't be able to use more than one in VirtualBox -- and the guest OS will run very slowly as a result. I think it takes on more than one name depending on the computer/motherboard make, but in mine it's called VT-x (or something like that).

Hopefully that helps.
                            How do you get there?

Comment

When your computer is starting up, you can click one of the function keys for setup. Once in the BIOS, you must enable the virtualization technologies available on your computer.
                              -Unknown

I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment

When your computer is starting up, you can click one of the function keys for setup. Once in the BIOS, you must enable the virtualization technologies available on your computer.
                                I just finished doing that. Funny how user friendly the bios is once you get to it.

Comment