Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity Reached Spain When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity Reached Spain When?

Originally posted by The Blaze
    According to Castro, the discovery will have a significant impact on how experts look at history, mostly because it was long believed Christianity was brought to Spain in the fifth century.
    “We were afraid to say what we believed at first, because it forces us to rethink the history of Christian Spain,” Castro told The Guardian.

Source
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

“We know it dates back to the 4th century, in part because popes in the following centuries ordered all patens to be made out of silver,” Marcelo Castro, head of the Forum MMX excavation project, told The Local.

This assumes everybody listened to the popes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      "This article was amended on 7 October 2014. An earlier version said Christian Spain was thought to have begun in the fifth century with the arrival of the recently Christianised Visigoths from central Europe and Byzantium. That is not the case: Spain was fully part of the Christian Roman empire of the fourth century AD."
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        "This article was amended on 7 October 2014. An earlier version said Christian Spain was thought to have begun in the fifth century with the arrival of the recently Christianised Visigoths from central Europe and Byzantium. That is not the case: Spain was fully part of the Christian Roman empire of the fourth century AD."
        Imu, during the Nicean Council of 325AD the chief advisor to Constantine was the Bishop of Cordoba. Cordoba was and is in southern Spain. It was the capital of Hispania Baetica, one of the three Imperial Roman provinces in Spain, during the Roman Empire.

Comment

Romans 15:24 indicates that Paul intended to go to Spain; but not that he ever made it.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Christianity Reached Spain When?

As yet I haven't found anything definite, but according to Wiki's "Timeline of Christian Missions" the Gospel reached Portugal and Morocco around 150CE. So given Spain is between those two, I'd speculate that Christianity reached Spain sometime in the early second century...
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...stian_missions

Comment

Apparently Castro is unfamiliar with the Synod or Council of Elvira held around 305-306 A.D.[1] in Elliberis, or Illiberis (part of the Roman province of Hispania Baetica), in Spain not far from Granada and attended by nineteen bishops and twenty-six priests coming from all over the Iberian Peninsula.

And then there is Hosius of Córduba, who died in 359 A.D., and who was a bishop of Córdova (capital of Hispania Ulterior during the Roman Republic and capital of the province of Córdoba in modern times). He was a fierce opponent of Arianism and being he was elected bishop in 295 definitely means there was a Christian presence in Spain in the third century. While not listed among the attendees of the Council of Arles (314 A.D.) he was among the 300+ bishops including others from Spain at the Council of Serdica (modern Sofia, Bulgaria) held two years later to attempt a settlement of the Arian controversy (didn't work).

There is a letter from St. Cyprian of Carthage from 254 A.D. mentioning Christian communities there, specifically in Astorga (province of León, northern Spain), León (capital of the province of León), Mérida (western central Spain possibly founded by discharged soldiers from Augustus' army), and Zaragoza (capital city of the Zaragoza province in Aragon, Spain). And finally, St. Irenaeus, bishop of Lugdunum, Gaul (now Lyons, France) alluded to Christian churches among the Iberians (people living on the Iberian Peninsula) in his writings from around 180 A.D.

1. Although some scholars argue for a later date almost agree that it was in the first quarter of the fourth cent. except for those who place it in the third cent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X