Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ccleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccleaner

OK, so one of the little old ladies in my Church had a computer on which she played games -- especially the accursed POGO games -- and it had slowed WAY down, and refused to allow updates.

Removal of AOL's version of McAfee helped, but there were still lots of problems.

I tried my usual assortment of remedies, including manually deleting a bunch of temp files (because Microsoft kept choking on them) and -- since this is a FREEBIE, and I've spent HOURS and HOURS on it already -- I was getting a bit frustrated....

I downloaded CCLEANER, and it really seems to be moving this thing in the right direction?

Anybody had any problems with CCLEANER, or success stories, or personal opinions?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yeah, it works quite well when it comes to fixing registry errors and making space on a PC.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
      Yeah, it works quite well when it comes to fixing registry errors and making space on a PC.
      I seem to remember using it YEARS ago, and I THOUGHT it was one of the less intrusive "solvers".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Love CCLeaner! In fact, our tech department often installs it to fix our work computers. I've used it for years.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, jumpin' Jehosaphat!!!!! I think Windows finally updated ALL 87 updates, including the security update to patch the security update of the security update of the fix for .net 3.5.1 triple D!!!!!!

Comment

CCleaner is a great tool.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I use CCleaner. I love it.

sigpic
              "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
              Marcus Aurelius

Comment

CCleaner and Malwarebytes...two great weapons in the arsenal...IMO.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  I use Malwarebytes quite a bit on client computers, but I guess I had forgotten about Ccleaner -- so far, I see mostly good reviews of it online.

Comment

Does Malwarebytes interfere with antivirus software?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a superior antivirus? My computer came with a Norton program. And Verizon has a McAfee program free to their subscribers. I'm looking for something that may be better than either of those. I wasn't impressed with Norton when I got a computer years ago. But since it installs on the new computer I figure it's good enough till I find better. And McAfee is said to be a bit quirky.

sigpic
                    Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
                      Does Malwarebytes interfere with antivirus software?
                      Not that I have found...but it's funny, when I run a scan, if there's something that the antivirus software missed...i.e. Trojan etc. as soon as Malwarebytes finds it, the antivirus starts "seeing it" as well...
                      Also, I saw that Malwarebytes is now offering a whole package that will probably be pretty good! I don't know anyone who has tried it though.
                      Does anyone have a recommendation for a superior antivirus? My computer came with a Norton program. And Verizon has a McAfee program free to their subscribers. I'm looking for something that may be better than either of those. I wasn't impressed with Norton when I got a computer years ago. But since it installs on the new computer I figure it's good enough till I find better. And McAfee is said to be a bit quirky.
                      I work in the IT dept of a Major Medical Ins. provider. We use Nortons (actually we use Symantec Endpoint Protection) and it seems to do a good job. I don't like how intrusive it is for Home users but we have very sensitive information to protect here so we have to trade performance for security. I just use AVG Free and run Malwarebytes about every other week or so. Haven't had any major issues using that combo. Maybe some of the other IT guys will have a better recommendation...
                      Last edited by Littlejoe; 10-10-2014, 10:49 AM.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Thank you. I hope to hear other suggestions too. Meanwhile, I'll look into Symantec Endpoint Protection. I just downloaded Malwarebytes. It's running a first scan. Should be interesting to see what it finds that Norton and CCleaner did not. I run CC first thing after I boot up.

sigpic
                        Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Not that I have found...but it's funny, when I run a scan, if there's something that the antivirus software missed...i.e. Trojan etc. as soon as Malwarebytes finds it, the antivirus starts "seeing it" as well...
                          Also, I saw that Malwarebytes is now offering a whole package that will probably be pretty good! I don't know anyone who has tried it though.

I work in the IT dept of a Major Medical Ins. provider. We use Nortons (actually we use Symantec Endpoint Protection) and it seems to do a good job. I don't like how intrusive it is for Home users but we have very sensitive information to protect here so we have to trade performance for security. I just use AVG Free and run Malwarebytes about every other week or so. Haven't had any major issues using that combo. Maybe some of the other IT guys will have a better recommendation...
                          I remember reading somewhere that AVG has been getting progressively slower with each new version. Have you seen this in the field?
                          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

I've stopped recommending AVG and Kaspersky because that seems to be what the virus writers are using to test against, since they are free to download for their testing.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

AVG got tiresome (slowed things down, didn't seem to work as well) and I went back to Zone Alarm before my computer died of unnatural causes....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment