Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Ccleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I just use microsoft's security essentials for my antivirus.

I use malwarebytes and superantispyware and ccleaner to get rid of adware and crap like that.
    I use Security Essentials on the advice of someone who trains people at the Geek Squad. Last March I used CCleaner which I had downloaded a couple years ago and used a few time and it immediately started dumping malware into my system completely locking up my computer. I will never use it again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
      Do you find Avast superior to MSE?
      Sparko is always talking about avast. It's avast this and avast that. But maybe that's because he's a pirate.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you find Avast superior to MSE?
        Quite honestly, I can't remember why I gave up on MSE --- I think it was a virus on a computer of a friend that MSE let slip through, but Avast caught.... or something. I don't remember.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I use Security Essentials on the advice of someone who trains people at the Geek Squad. Last March I used CCleaner which I had downloaded a couple years ago and used a few time and it immediately started dumping malware into my system completely locking up my computer. I will never use it again.
          I trained the person who trains the people at Geek Squad, and I told them to mess with you!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Quite honestly, I can't remember why I gave up on MSE --- I think it was a virus on a computer of a friend that MSE let slip through, but Avast caught.... or something. I don't remember.
            That's what I'm worried about. The 'slip-throughs'.

sigpic
            "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
            Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I trained the person who trains the people at Geek Squad, and I told them to mess with you!
              Doubtful. I knew him for over 20 years. He was a crypto-communications expert in Vietnam. He taught some of their managers how to work with DOS since nobody knew how.

Comment

That's what I'm worried about. The 'slip-throughs'.
                Always be careful when downloading stuff -- from which site it is downloaded... Often, you can obtain an "enhanced" (cough sputter) version of an otherwise good piece of software from a site that is adding in their own extras. ALWAYS download from a trusted site, and remember....

The reason GAMES ARE FREE is NOT because they LOVE you, but because they have ulterior motives. Just like the creep who tells the girl, "but if you LOVED me, you'd let me......."

Comment

Doubtful. I knew him for over 20 years. He was a crypto-communications expert in Vietnam. He taught some of their managers how to work with DOS since nobody knew how.
                  Yup -- that's him!

Comment

Yup -- that's him!
                    You haven't changed a bit since when we were kids. What did mom keep telling you about making up stories like this? Well?

In case you forgot she told you, "CP if you're gonna lie, at least do so convincingly." Mom would not be proud.

Comment

You haven't changed a bit since when we were kids. What did mom keep telling you about making up stories like this? Well?

In case you forgot she told you, "CP if you're gonna lie, at least do so convincingly." Mom would not be proud.
                      Yup... that's what she said you'd say.

Comment

Always be careful when downloading stuff -- from which site it is downloaded... Often, you can obtain an "enhanced" (cough sputter) version of an otherwise good piece of software from a site that is adding in their own extras. ALWAYS download from a trusted site, and remember....

The reason GAMES ARE FREE is NOT because they LOVE you, but because they have ulterior motives. Just like the creep who tells the girl, "but if you LOVED me, you'd let me......."
                        I don't play games online or download them. I'm familiar with CNet for downloads. They tend to add things, like McAfee and other stuff. Google Chrome browser.
                        I prefer to go directly to the source of the program. CCleaners website, Malwarebytes, Microsoft,

sigpic
                        "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                        Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I don't play games online or download them. I'm familiar with CNet for downloads. They tend to add things, like McAfee and other stuff. Google Chrome browser.
                          I prefer to go directly to the source of the program. CCleaners website, Malwarebytes, Microsoft,
                          Yeah!

Comment

I used to, but recently have been using Avast. The free version seems to do just fine.
                            I did just the opposite. Started with the free Avast, but found out that microsoft's version was as good. In fact it detected and cleaned a trojan off off a friends computer where Avast did not.

Comment

no antivirus program will be perfect. One will catch something that others miss, and vice versa. As CP said the best way is to be careful what you install. And keep your system updated. I have never gotten a virus on my computers myself because I am careful. I have had spyware and adware which is harder to avoid, but usually it is not malicious, just slows down your system as it spies on you or serves you ads. Cleaning your system regularly with things like ccleaner, malwarebytes, etc usually clears that up.

Comment