Announcement

Collapse

Admissions Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the TheologyWeb Community. Here in the Admissions Dept. we welcome all the newcomers. This section is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new resident. Be sure to be welcomed or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is slacking.

Forum Rules: here

Wow! You made it! Here you are in the Admissions and Orientation Department of Tweb! This is where the rubber first hits the road; where the pedal first hits the metal; where the nuts come out of the woodwork to make sure you feel at home here.

The Admissions area is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new inmate resident, and we encourage you to leave here and head out into the great big wide world of Tweb as soon as you feel comfortable in your new username.

Be sure to reply to your welcome thread, or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is out to lunch or painting their living room.
See more
See less

Hello, Ex-JW here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    So we should just call you He Who Shall Not Be Named, right?
    Right.

Comment

Welcome to TWeb, Underscore!

Comment

Originally posted by __ View Post
        I was never exposed to mainstream Christianity except through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, which tries to say all other forms of Christianity are "Pagan" and "Impure". I suppose I have just heard so much rhetoric from the ultra-puritanical (even holidays and celebrations are considered too impure to observe), ultra-conservative, apocalyptic Jehovah's Witnesses, that I really want to hear what more liberal, progressive Christians have to say. I probably will never truly believe it, as there are events in the bible which, if taken literally, become impossible. Trying to assume the best of the Bible and other holy books, I believe it was written by well-meaning Israelite intellectual elites who believed the mythology of the time, if edited, could best symbolize these moral lessons they wished to impart. I also believe, however, that our morality has evolved since then. It does not lessen the value of these books, as they played a very important role in shaping our history, but it does mean we must first resort to rational arguments for morality and maybe only use these holy books for flavor points. I actually saw fault with the inerrancy Bible long before I had the courage to research JW history. I am glad I am free of that group, but I still feel something missing. I miss the community, and although the only "good" that group does is preach (charity is considered a tool of Satan and unworthy of sacrificing valuable preaching time for.), I miss having a organized organization for goodness. I am flirting with Unitarian Universalism, and I already consider myself a humanist, but my conscious always nags me for not doing enough good. Does that make sense?
        My parents are JW so I have some understanding and sympathy. I was never involved with JW as my folks did not "become" until about 13 years (or so) after I moved away to Alaska.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          So we should just call you He Who Shall Not Be Named, right?
          What is wrong with __?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            My parents are JW so I have some understanding and sympathy. I was never involved with JW as my folks did not "become" until about 13 years (or so) after I moved away to Alaska.
            I always wanted to go to Alaska.

Comment

I came up here in 1969. My children were born here, my grandchildren were born here. I hit California every year to see my parents and my brother.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                Welcome to TWeb, Underscore!
                I believe his name is double-underscore.

Comment

Originally posted by __ View Post
                  I was raised in the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I found fault with their teachings. At any rate, I look forward to interesting discussions with the more mainstream community, though I personally do not buy into supernatural forces. Too many variables.
                  I'm curious about this, ___..... What "supernatural forces" are you "not buying into"? For example ... the resurrection of Christ from the dead was supernatural, no? Or are you specifically referring to demons and angels and.... what "supernatural forces" are you talking about?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dear ones, Admissions is not the proper forum for discussing important stuff.

Please take serious things to the correct areas.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Dear ones, Admissions is not the proper forum for discussing important stuff.

Please take serious things to the correct areas.

Ah, so I gotta go to another discussion board, eh?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You better not! I will hunt you down and bring you back kicking and screaming if I have to!

You might be kicking and screaming, too!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I'm curious about this, ___..... What "supernatural forces" are you "not buying into"? For example ... the resurrection of Christ from the dead was supernatural, no? Or are you specifically referring to demons and angels and.... what "supernatural forces" are you talking about?
                          New thread, not a new board.

Comment

Welcome!
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X