Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
    I try to keep my exercise pretty varied. I took an aerobics class in college and learned a thing or two. I run occasionally as there's a trail close by my house. Got my little weights, too. Ha. I also avoid soda and I don't really eat a lot of sweets. Really, unless I've baked (and I do like baking), I don't eat them at all! Prepackaged just isn't as good as something I've made with my hands.
    Well good for you. You got a nice smart lifestyle going for ya. Hope you appreciate it all your life.

Comment

Good morning friends and supporters. I had a good diet and exercise day yesterday. I passed on my one nightly treat, a glass of red wine. But then I got so hungry after dinner, that I raided the bacon and cheese stash. That might sound horrific to some, but actually, even with my late night raid, I did not spike insulin release or go to bed with high blood sugar.

I gave my body building materials, maybe a few calories too many...whatever. The scale is stuck this morning, figures. But then again, since I do my cardio and weights faithfully, I continue to have body composition change. Swapping fat for muscle, but not showing up on the scale.

Anyway, I feel great this morning. I have never heard of a bacon hangover

I am currently drinking my bullet proof coffee. No one ever asked me what that is. It is a new fad, but nothing new. The people that live in cold mountainous areas have long drank a version of BPC (bullet proof coffee). You won't find it at Starbucks...or maybe you can now. I never go there anymore.

Who's trying to get healthier now? Who is sick and tired of being sick and tired. Please come forward

Comment

Wow...I went from feeling great, to getting angry. I don't like this day. I don't like my job today. I don't like the customer. Mucho work, little money. But I should be thankful. Why am I not as thankful as I should be? My sins are forgiven. Now why doesn't that just trump everything everyday? Why am I still a victim of circumstances? I should be happy.

Comment

I just got home and was hoping for some post to respond to. I looked here and saw my name as the last post. I said nooooooah!. Yeah...that's what I said. I was pretty bummed. I live in a small world. It seems to be getting smaller. I know I am not that important. Why do I want to be important? Or...I know that I am important to God, but still...I find myself trying to be important to His creatures...more than caring that I'm important to Him. Ok...this is all in the "immediate"...but in the long run, I really only care what God thinks.

Especially if I get in an accident and am thrown from my car into the street. You know...you're laying there busted up and bleeding on the asphalt and thinking this is probably it! I'm quite certain that at that time I would not think about my thread at Tweb. Nice talking to you guys. Thnx

Comment

Who are you again?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Who are you again?
              GoBahnsen lifts his bloody head off the asphalt and answers the officer's question. "I'm GB...I live at 1561 Tweb Lane in...."
              (loses consciousness) Smells bacon

Comment

It appears that your on the right track. It sounds similar to my diet for diabetes, which is now controlled by diet. It is a long term diet change.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  It appears that your on the right track. It sounds similar to my diet for diabetes, which is now controlled by diet. It is a long term diet change.
                  Thanks for posting shuny. Is your's type 2? Is it because of some defective organ or was it brought on by diet? If it's the latter, I don't know why they ever labeled it diabetes. Do you? From all I have read it is totally reversible. So it's not like a disease or cancer, it just too much sugar running around in the blood.

And the sad thing is that big Pharma is right there to offer drugs, so people can continue eating pretzels and stay on the couch. Of course there always are exceptions where drug intervention is the only answer and I'm not talking about that.

So how is it going for ya as you work on bringing your diabetes under control? I found that as I went about losing weight thru the low carb route, that I actually like the process, the food menu. Yet I still get sad that I can't tear into a bag of chips and have a few beers at times. But I'm getting used to not being able to that. It takes time. A life long smoker isn't going to just waltz away from those cancer sticks.

Have a strong day my friend.

Comment

um type II is not reversable. once it triggers you are left with it for life. It is a disease like any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      um type II is not reversable. once it triggers you are left with it for life. It is a disease like any other.
                      Gosh Sparko...welcome to the world of health and medical "science"...it's as diverse as theological views, is it not? I'm no expert so I won't argue with you. From all the reading I have done, practically everyone who has been on meds and eating the medical establishments diet for type 2 (which makes people sicker), when they switch to lower carbs and start moving their bodies around, they can come off all their meds.

But I do not doubt for a minute that the medical establishment wants it labeled a disease and wants people on drugs for life. I watched my parents die from it as they sat in front of their TV set drinking orange juice and eating toast. My brother has no legs from it. I suppose I had it, but didn't go to the doctor. I'm just avoiding anything that is known to trigger insulin in high amounts.

I'm improving in everyway right now. When I get to my goal weight I plan on getting my blood work done...see where I stand.

How bout you Sparko...how are you doing health wise? Thnx for posting

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                        Gosh Sparko...welcome to the world of health and medical "science"...it's as diverse as theological views, is it not? I'm no expert so I won't argue with you. From all the reading I have done, practically everyone who has been on meds and eating the medical establishments diet for type 2 (which makes people sicker), when they switch to lower carbs and start moving their bodies around, they can come off all their meds.

But I do not doubt for a minute that the medical establishment wants it labeled a disease and wants people on drugs for life. I watched my parents die from it as they sat in front of their TV set drinking orange juice and eating toast. My brother has no legs from it. I suppose I had it, but didn't go to the doctor. I'm just avoiding anything that is known to trigger insulin in high amounts.

I'm improving in everyway right now. When I get to my goal weight I plan on getting my blood work done...see where I stand.

How bout you Sparko...how are you doing health wise? Thnx for posting
                        You can control type 2 diabetes with diet, and keep off the meds sometimes, but it is still there once triggered and doesn't get "cured"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          You can control type 2 diabetes with diet, and keep off the meds sometimes, but it is still there once triggered and doesn't get "cured"
                          Well I suppose in some sense nothing is cured, since we all get worse off and finally die from it. But if it's controlled, then call it what you want. I'd say those who control it well into old age, were pretty much cured of it.

How's your health these days?

Comment

Hey Sparko...how you feeling these days, health wise? everything good?

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                              Thanks for posting shuny. Is your's type 2? Is it because of some defective organ or was it brought on by diet? If it's the latter, I don't know why they ever labeled it diabetes. Do you? From all I have read it is totally reversible. So it's not like a disease or cancer, it just too much sugar running around in the blood.

And the sad thing is that big Pharma is right there to offer drugs, so people can continue eating pretzels and stay on the couch. Of course there always are exceptions where drug intervention is the only answer and I'm not talking about that.

So how is it going for ya as you work on bringing your diabetes under control? I found that as I went about losing weight thru the low carb route, that I actually like the process, the food menu. Yet I still get sad that I can't tear into a bag of chips and have a few beers at times. But I'm getting used to not being able to that. It takes time. A life long smoker isn't going to just waltz away from those cancer sticks.

Have a strong day my friend.
                              Starting about 6 years ago I began to be considered marginal to Diabetes type 2 by the Doctor based on blood tests. my diet was generally good and I had a good exercise routine, and good health. I was put on Metformin. Over time I experience a slight weight gain, 185 up to 205, not obese, but above my normal by 10 to 20 pounds over time. and blood sugar tests remained marginal to Diabetes. In 2011, tests began to show symptoms of Diabetes, and sugar levels above the range of normal, os I assumed a more rigid high protein diet, no whites, my weight dropped 20 pounds over time and my blood tests dropped well into normal ranges. The diagnosis was progressive Diabetes type 2 cause of aging. There were several members of my family that had the same condition. My father and grandmother. I also have a high level of heart problems among males in my family, my father and older brother, had open heart surgery in their late forties, my older brother died at 54. My uncle died at 48 from a heart attack. I had high cholesterol in my forties treated with liptor, high blood pressure in my early fifties treated with drugs. My diet and exercise in this period was very good. Last year in March I was diagnosed with angina and had a stint put in in April. My health and weight is ok and stable at 175 - 180 for 6' 0". I am 67.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Starting about 6 years ago I began to be considered marginal to Diabetes type 2 by the Doctor based on blood tests. my diet was generally good and I had a good exercise routine, and good health. I was put on Metformin. Over time I experience a slight weight gain, 185 up to 205, not obese, but above my normal by 10 to 20 pounds over time. and blood sugar tests remained marginal to Diabetes. In 2011, tests began to show symptoms of Diabetes, and sugar levels above the range of normal, os I assumed a more rigid high protein diet, no whites, my weight dropped 20 pounds over time and my blood tests dropped well into normal ranges. The diagnosis was progressive Diabetes type 2 cause of aging. There were several members of my family that had the same condition. My father and grandmother. I also have a high level of heart problems among males in my family, my father and older brother, had open heart surgery in their late forties, my older brother died at 54. My uncle died at 48 from a heart attack. I had high cholesterol in my forties treated with liptor, high blood pressure in my early fifties treated with drugs. My diet and exercise in this period was very good. Last year in March I was diagnosed with angina and had a stint put in in April. My health and weight is ok and stable at 175 - 180 for 6' 0". I am 67.
                                Ok, so maybe I have a lot to learn here. You're saying your diet wasn't to blame, that it was generally good. And you exercised.

Can I ask you what "generally good" looked like? Because the diet prescribed by one of the big "associations" (at least in the past) had way too much sugar in it. Some medical doctors have become more health savvy and realized the ADA was making diabetics sicker and keeping them on big pharma drugs.

But I'm open to learning here. Hope you get better.

I'm having my first banana in 2.5 months. I just felt like I needed some carbs. We'll see if it puts me into a weight loss stall.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X