Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Unitarian Universalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unitarian Universalism

What are the pro's and con's of this religion?

Atheists are welcome?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Atheists are welcome?
      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Atheists are welcome?
        Is that a Pro or a Con (or does that depend on one's perspective)?
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          I would say Pro. More diversity and openess.

Comment

Inclusivism and community are pros, but there is a saying, don't be so open minded the brain falls out. The UU community does have a strong appreciation for art and tends to be very family focused. However some ministers write articles on how to justify partial birth abortions, which bothers me. I'm also not terribly fond of some of their hymns, which I think would make Emerson turn in his grave.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Inclusivism and community are pros, but there is a saying, don't be so open minded the brain falls out. The UU community does have a strong appreciation for art and tends to be very family focused. However some ministers write articles on how to justify partial birth abortions, which bothers me. I'm also not terribly fond of some of their hymns, which I think would make Emerson turn in his grave.
                Our gay pastor is now married.

Comment

Originally posted by __ View Post
                  I would say Pro. More diversity and openess.
                  Except it isn't open to the majority of Christians throughout history: the diversity does not include a huge spectrum of experiences and viewpoints.
                  Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I'm also not terribly fond of some of their hymns, which I think would make Emerson turn in his grave.
                    Reminds me of Garrison Keilor's joke about all the Unitarians constantly flipping ahead in the hymnals to decide if they could sing along during the next verse.
                    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      Except it isn't open to the majority of Christians throughout history: the diversity does not include a huge spectrum of experiences and viewpoints.
                      Surely only the violent, literalist ones?

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      reminds me of garrison keilor's joke about all the unitarians constantly flipping ahead in the hymnals to decide if they could sing along during the next verse.
                      LOL!

Comment

Surely only the violent, literalist ones?
                        Because Trinitarianism is the product of a literalist interpretation of Scripture and not extended and sophisticated philosophical and theological discourse within the Church, and everyone who has ever supported Trinitarianism is violent. Riiiiiiiight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          Because Trinitarianism is the product of a literalist interpretation of Scripture and not extended and sophisticated philosophical and theological discourse within the Church, and everyone who has ever supported Trinitarianism is violent. Riiiiiiiight.
                          Oh, yes, those. I apologize. I was thinking of the time I asked who wouldn't be welcome here, and the response was extremist who basically say they will blow you up if you do not conform. Trinitarianism is difficult to understand, but nothing wrong with it. I find the concept quite mysterious, myself.

Comment

Oh, yes, those. I apologize. I was thinking of the time I asked who wouldn't be welcome here, and the response was extremist who basically say they will blow you up if you do not conform. Trinitarianism is difficult to understand, but nothing wrong with it. I find the concept quite mysterious, myself.
                            Of course it's mysterious-- it's ultimately incomprehensible! But that doesn't mean we can't know that it is true and deeply significant. I'll let the Twitter account "Augustine of Hiphop" explain it: https://twitter.com/hiphopaugustine/...62258778353664

"the word Trinity aint simply educational/
                            it means the ground of all being is relational"

Comment

Inclusivism and community are pros, but there is a saying, don't be so open minded the brain falls out.
                              . . . or be close minded to the point you mind implodes.

The UU community does have a strong appreciation for art and tends to be very family focused. However some ministers write articles on how to justify partial birth abortions, which bothers me. I'm also not terribly fond of some of their hymns, which I think would make Emerson turn in his grave.
                              I do not think Emerson would take such a negative view. Growing up in Central and South America, I got to see them in the raw, including the Roman Church and a number of Christian alterenatives, and how they related to those that do not believe as they do. The Unitarians, Quakers and Baha'is performed the best, and I became close to them, and later became a Baha'i. I still remain close to the Unitarians., and many of my friends are members
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X