Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Unitarian Universalism

  1. #11
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Humanist/Agnostic/UU
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Amen (Given)
    13
    Amen (Received)
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Except it isn't open to the majority of Christians throughout history: the diversity does not include a huge spectrum of experiences and viewpoints.
    Surely only the violent, literalist ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    reminds me of garrison keilor's joke about all the unitarians constantly flipping ahead in the hymnals to decide if they could sing along during the next verse.
    LOL!

  2. #12
    tWebber Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,979
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by __ View Post
    Surely only the violent, literalist ones?
    Because Trinitarianism is the product of a literalist interpretation of Scripture and not extended and sophisticated philosophical and theological discourse within the Church, and everyone who has ever supported Trinitarianism is violent. Riiiiiiiight.

  3. Amen Jedidiah, __, Pentecost amen'd this post.
  4. #13
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Humanist/Agnostic/UU
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Amen (Given)
    13
    Amen (Received)
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Because Trinitarianism is the product of a literalist interpretation of Scripture and not extended and sophisticated philosophical and theological discourse within the Church, and everyone who has ever supported Trinitarianism is violent. Riiiiiiiight.
    Oh, yes, those. I apologize. I was thinking of the time I asked who wouldn't be welcome here, and the response was extremist who basically say they will blow you up if you do not conform. Trinitarianism is difficult to understand, but nothing wrong with it. I find the concept quite mysterious, myself.

  5. #14
    tWebber Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,979
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by __ View Post
    Oh, yes, those. I apologize. I was thinking of the time I asked who wouldn't be welcome here, and the response was extremist who basically say they will blow you up if you do not conform. Trinitarianism is difficult to understand, but nothing wrong with it. I find the concept quite mysterious, myself.
    Of course it's mysterious-- it's ultimately incomprehensible! But that doesn't mean we can't know that it is true and deeply significant. I'll let the Twitter account "Augustine of Hiphop" explain it: https://twitter.com/hiphopaugustine/...62258778353664

    "the word Trinity aint simply educational/
    it means the ground of all being is relational"

  6. #15
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,524
    Amen (Given)
    1214
    Amen (Received)
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Inclusivism and community are pros, but there is a saying, don't be so open minded the brain falls out.
    . . . or be close minded to the point you mind implodes.


    The UU community does have a strong appreciation for art and tends to be very family focused. However some ministers write articles on how to justify partial birth abortions, which bothers me. I'm also not terribly fond of some of their hymns, which I think would make Emerson turn in his grave.
    I do not think Emerson would take such a negative view. Growing up in Central and South America, I got to see them in the raw, including the Roman Church and a number of Christian alterenatives, and how they related to those that do not believe as they do. The Unitarians, Quakers and Baha'is performed the best, and I became close to them, and later became a Baha'i. I still remain close to the Unitarians., and many of my friends are members
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  7. Amen __ amen'd this post.
  8. #16
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,524
    Amen (Given)
    1214
    Amen (Received)
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Because Trinitarianism is the product of a literalist interpretation of Scripture . . .
    Being raised in the Roman Church and studied the theological question for many years, I disagree with the highlighted. It would be more a subject of a separate thread. Nonetheless the 'Unitarian' evolved from a rejection of the Trinity. The Unitarian Universalist Church has evolved into a predominantly 'Humanist' Church that is tolerant of a diversity of beliefs.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  9. #17
    tWebber Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,979
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Being raised in the Roman Church and studied the theological question for many years, I disagree with the highlighted. It would be more a subject of a separate thread. Nonetheless the 'Unitarian' evolved from a rejection of the Trinity. The Unitarian Universalist Church has evolved into a predominantly 'Humanist' Church that is tolerant of a diversity of beliefs.
    You do realize that that entire post was sarcastic, right?

    I knew I should have used the tags...

  10. Amen __, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  11. #18
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,524
    Amen (Given)
    1214
    Amen (Received)
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    You do realize that that entire post was sarcastic, right?

    I knew I should have used the tags...
    From you?!?!? The sarcasm was not apparent.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  12. #19
    tWebber Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,979
    Amen (Given)
    263
    Amen (Received)
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    From you?!?!? The sarcasm was not apparent.
    It takes relatively little knowledge of the Trinity or of Scripture to know that the Trinity, as commonly understood by Christians, is not explicitly found in the Bible. If nothign else, the "riiiiiiiight" at the end should have tipped you off

  13. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  14. #20
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,524
    Amen (Given)
    1214
    Amen (Received)
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    It takes relatively little knowledge of the Trinity or of Scripture to know that the Trinity, as commonly understood by Christians, is not explicitly found in the Bible. If nothign else, the "riiiiiiiight" at the end should have tipped you off
    My view is to clarify the beliefs and history of UU and its philosophy and theology?, and not to get tangled in the trivia of sarcasm.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •