Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Countries are learning it doesn't make economic sense to host the Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    If it is such a lucrative marketing opportunity, the Olympic committee should be paying the countries to build the stadiums and host them.

Also, why don't they just reuse the olympic settings in countries that have previously hosted the olympics?
    Why don't they just build a PERMANENT facility in Greece, and make everybody go there every time?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Why don't they just build a PERMANENT facility in Greece, and make everybody go there every time?
      I think because they want the whole world to feel like they are part of the olympics and not just visiting. But you would think that there are enough stadiums out there from previous olympics to host the new ones, and if some country that hasn't hosted before wanted to, then they still could build one.

Comment

I think because they want the whole world to feel like they are part of the olympics and not just visiting. But you would think that there are enough stadiums out there from previous olympics to host the new ones, and if some country that hasn't hosted before wanted to, then they still could build one.
        I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
          One coke divided by 7 billion people wouldn't even wet their lips.

Comment

I think the Winter Olympics should be in Saudi Arabia!

They have the money to make snow, and the pinko commie liberal journalists can learn how tolerant they are of western ways!

Comment

One coke divided by 7 billion people wouldn't even wet their lips.
              But that's what I can afford. Maybe Psychic Missile can kick in the difference!

Comment

I think the Winter Olympics should be in Saudi Arabia!

They have the money to make snow, and the pinko commie liberal journalists can learn how tolerant they are of western ways!
                inside snow.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  Why do the Olympics matter?
                  Billions of dollars are at stake so it's certainly worthy of discussion.

I wouldn't be shedding tears if they went away.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Not just "local" hotels, meals, services -- but BIG ADVERTISING BUCKS... kinda like the Superbowl on steroids*.

(or, does steroids have more to do with baseball? )

Comment

Comment

Superbowl on steroids* )
                        It's the Superbowl of steroids: do the steroids I use beat the steroids you use?

Comment

You know, I always plan on watching the Olympics, but then I never do.

Comment

You know, I always plan on watching the Olympics, but then I never do.
                            I always plan NOT to, and I never do.

Comment

I like to watch curling!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                I like to watch curling!
                                Like THIS?

curling.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X