Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Countries are learning it doesn't make economic sense to host the Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Why do the Olympics matter?
    They don't matter. At least not to me. If there were no more Olympics I would only know from other people moaning about it.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I always plan NOT to, and I never do.
      That is me exactly, well almost exactly, I don't plan I just don't pay any attention. Since I don't "do" television I would have to go to where ever they were happening - and I don't do that. I voted against Alaska hosting the winter olympics.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        They don't matter. At least not to me. If there were no more Olympics I would only know from other people moaning about it.
        Yeah!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not just "local" hotels, meals, services -- but BIG ADVERTISING BUCKS... kinda like the Superbowl on steroids*.

(or, does steroids have more to do with baseball? )
          I don't know if it's true but I heard that sometimes they'll block off local businesses in the name of security or whatever and actually hurt their business.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I don't know if it's true but I heard that sometimes they'll block off local businesses in the name of security or whatever and actually hurt their business.
            Most big sporting things do that. At the Rugby World cup there were a whole heap of restrictions because of RWC sponsors (which we hosted in 2011), it will be the same with the Cricket World Cup (which we're co-hosting with Aus in 2015)
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              At least one Alaskan don't want 'em.
              Make that two.
              We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Good on you.

Comment

Also agree that if they Olympics faded into obscurity, I wouldn't miss them terribly. Admittedly, never been a fan of that "amateur" spirit they are desperately clinging to.

I do personally wish they would make permanent location for the competitions, or maybe two or three, and rotate them. What an utter waste of cash assembling grand assemblies that nobody wants afterwards. From an investment perspective, they hardly look lucrative, what with the plethora of pools and fields that are abundant in some of the other cities, and already sate the demand for said places.
                  Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                  As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                    Also agree that if they Olympics faded into obscurity, I wouldn't miss them terribly. Admittedly, never been a fan of that "amateur" spirit they are desperately clinging to.

I do personally wish they would make permanent location for the competitions, or maybe two or three, and rotate them. What an utter waste of cash assembling grand assemblies that nobody wants afterwards. From an investment perspective, they hardly look lucrative, what with the plethora of pools and fields that are abundant in some of the other cities, and already sate the demand for said places.
                    Six of them - one per continent. Options to move every thirty-2 years w/i the given continent so they can get new stuff as the old deteriorates and no nation is permanently stuck with it, just in case.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                      Also agree that if they Olympics faded into obscurity...
                      They still do Olympics?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They should host them on Antarctica once in awhile, too. Presumably the Winter Games.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          They should host them on Antarctica once in awhile, too. Presumably the Winter Games.
                          No, no, the Summer Games would be much more entertaining. Imagine shot put being tossed in a parka!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            No, no, the Summer Games would be much more entertaining. Imagine shot put being tossed in a parka!

Shot is not tossed -- it is put!

Comment

Shot is not tossed -- it is put!
                              Not in a parka!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Not in a parka!
                                Well, put THAT in your parka and shot it!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X