Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income Inequality?

I hear the libs constantly whining about income inequality. The thing is, I'm not sure where we are to go with that. Of course there is income inequality - some people are not that bright, some don't value education, others are just plain lazy. And I don't see how you fix that.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Few people are for total income equality, there need to be some incentives towards for example education as you mention or say taking on responsibilities associated with management roles.. The question is if the current levels of income inequality are too high or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
      Few people are for total income equality, there need to be some incentives towards for example education as you mention or say taking on responsibilities associated with management roles.. The question is if the current levels of income inequality are too high or not.
      The question also is "Who gets to determine what too high means"?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Some ideas I've heard that seem reasonable are tying minimum wage to inflation, raise the top marginal tax rate, rewrite the tax code to reduce cheating, limit campaign spending, education reform in several areas, and end corporate subsidies.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          Some ideas I've heard that seem reasonable are tying minimum wage to inflation, raise the top marginal tax rate, rewrite the tax code to reduce cheating, limit campaign spending, education reform in several areas, and end corporate subsidies.
          Well first, raising the minimum wage only adds to inflation. If the butcher, baker, candle stick maker have to pay their workers more the majority of that will be passed on to me the customer there by deceasing my buying power and hurting my ability to provide for my family.
          Last edited by seer; 10-20-2014, 09:27 AM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Well first, raising the minimum wage only adds to inflation. If the butcher, baker, candle stick maker have to pay their workers more the majority of that will be passed on to me the customer their by deceasing my buying power and hurting my ability to provide for my family.
            I think if a business can't afford to pay workers more than a pittance, then maybe it isn't a good business.

Comment

Here is an interesting Politifact check on CEO salaries:

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/s...-more-workers/

I think we can all agree that the CEO and top brass usually makes far too much money, and that is both conservative and liberal leaning businesses.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I think if a business can't afford to pay workers more than a pittance, then maybe it isn't a good business.
                you really don't understand economics, do you?

Comment

A better idea is letting the free market dictate pay.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...AMdW_blog.html

Study finds companies with Republican-leaning leaders pay more in taxes

By Jena McGregor

Take a guess: Who do you think pays more in corporate taxes, companies with CEOs who favor the Republican party, or those with CEOs who tend toward the Democrats?

If you guessed the latter, you’re wrong, according to a paper that will be presented Aug. 7 at the annual meeting of the American Accounting Association in Washington, D.C. The study, which was led by researchers at the University of Arizona, finds that companies helmed by executives who lean Republican each pay an average of $12 million more in annual taxes than companies headed by Democratic-leaning managers. With a mean pretax income of $541 million for companies in the sample, the difference results in an extra 2.22 percent in taxes paid.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That's for the prospective employee to decide - nobody forces them to work there.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That's for the prospective employee to decide - nobody forces them to work there.
                        Unless you are a pirate and shanghai'd your crew into working as moderators on tweb for no pay at all.

Now get back to work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Unless you are a pirate and shanghai'd your crew into working as moderators on tweb for no pay at all.

Now get back to work!!!
                          I'm still teaching that "Jobs for Life" program on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and I think PM could learn a thing or two.

One of the most basic fundamentals is that there are "entry level jobs", where you gain experience and skills, but they are NOT careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            you really don't understand economics, do you?
                            I find your reaction childish. If you take issue with what I said, I ask that you explain why.

Comment

I find your reaction childish. If you take issue with what I said, I ask that you explain why.
                              Again:

Well first, raising the minimum wage only adds to inflation. If the butcher, baker, candle stick maker have to pay their workers more the majority of that will be passed on to me the customer there by deceasing my buying power and hurting my ability to provide for my family.

Comment