Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    No you are the one making the positive claim that it was avarice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      well, it wasn't considered avarice was it? Are you able to show where it was? I don't need to show a positive place where God says "it is not avarice" because he gave them the wealth and never once said they were misusing it. If you disagree, then you think it was avarice and you need to show where God says it is.

Now quit acting so stupid. Or maybe you aren't acting and don't realize how stupid you are. It's hard to tell with you any more.

stupid.jpg

Comment

I don't need to show a positive place where God says "it is not avarice" because he gave them the wealth and never once said they were misusing it.
        I rest my case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          I rest my case.
          You have no case.

What the hell is up with you lately anyhow? It's like you wake up with a chip on your shoulder, trying to piss off as many fellow Christians as possible.

Spartacus and I were having a good discussion and even though we disagreed we are still friends and the discussion was productive. You jump in, make asinine comments and drag the whole thread off topic and can't even recognize how stupid your comments are and unproductive to the thread.

Go back to bed and get up on the right side.

Are you even the same Paprika that was on tweb before the reboot? Because you sure as hell don't act like it.

Comment

• And here we go... the first response to demanding higher wages for fast food workers... cut costs by eliminating jobs altogether.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...mated-cashiers
            While fast food workers all over the country are fighting to get paid higher hourly wages, McDonald’s is apparently looking for a bigger solution to their problem.

Various outlets are reporting that McDonald’s is currently testing automated cashiers in the hopes that they will soon roll out all over the country. The machines are touch screen and will enable customer to order and pay for their food without having to wait in line and interact with a live cashier.
            ----------

So there goes the theory that labor costs are negligible. If they were, then McD's would be doing something else to cut costs.

Comment

And here we go... the first response to demanding higher wages for fast food workers... cut costs by eliminating jobs altogether.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...mated-cashiers
              While fast food workers all over the country are fighting to get paid higher hourly wages, McDonald’s is apparently looking for a bigger solution to their problem.

Various outlets are reporting that McDonald’s is currently testing automated cashiers in the hopes that they will soon roll out all over the country. The machines are touch screen and will enable customer to order and pay for their food without having to wait in line and interact with a live cashier.
              ----------

So there goes the theory that labor costs are negligible. If they were, then McD's would be doing something else to cut costs.
              Our Bucees does that -- you walk up to a bank of computer screens, and "touch" your selection, make your choices, and it prints you an order list along with a customer number.

No order takers... so if your order is entered incorrectly - it's your own fault. They call your number when the food is ready.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Also,
                Forget what we are talking about earlier? The vatican and catholic church? This was directed at Spartacus originally since he seems to think that avarice is something rich owners of businesses have in abundance and should be controlled. Yet I bet he doesn't think the same thing about the Church he belongs to, which has gold and silver just being wasted as decorations instead of using it to help the poor.
                You first brought up the Pope, as far as I can tell, in #344, in a post directed at paprika, and then again in #353, again directed at paprika. Looks to me like you were trying to pull me by the nose into the conversation you'd started with pap, rather than pap suddenly sticking his nose into ours.

How do you think I define "avarice"?
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Our Bucees does that -- you walk up to a bank of computer screens, and "touch" your selection, make your choices, and it prints you an order list along with a customer number.

No order takers... so if your order is entered incorrectly - it's your own fault. They call your number when the food is ready.
                  Remember when gas stations were full service instead of self service?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    You first brought up the Pope, as far as I can tell, in #344, in a post directed at paprika, and then again in #353, again directed at paprika. Looks to me like you were trying to pull me by the nose into the conversation you'd started with pap, rather than pap suddenly sticking his nose into ours.

How do you think I define "avarice"?
                    "greed"

and yes I was basically addressing you in a post to paprika, since she felt the need to jump into the conversation.

My initial question was how do you know if someone is being greedy or not? Just because they want to maximize profits or have nice things doesn't equate to being greedy. I am sure you don't think of the Catholic Church as greedy do you? Even though they have very ostentatious displays of wealth in the churches and the Vatican?

Comment

Remember when gas stations were full service instead of self service?
                      Yes, and I remember when it used to take FIVE "skilled tradesmen" to clear my water cooled welding gun when I worked at the Ford plant --- The Union demanded that the electrician couldn't open the cabinet because that was a machinist's job, the machinist had to wait for the pipefitter to turn off the water, the pipefitter had to wait for the electrician to tag-out / lock-out the electrical panel... it was a circus to do something I could have done myself, but would have been "written up" for.....

Not long after that, that particular Ford plant shut down, and over 2600 jobs were gone.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"greed"

and yes I was basically addressing you in a post to paprika, since she felt the need to jump into the conversation.

My initial question was how do you know if someone is being greedy or not? Just because they want to maximize profits or have nice things doesn't equate to being greedy. I am sure you don't think of the Catholic Church as greedy do you? Even though they have very ostentatious displays of wealth in the churches and the Vatican?
                        A synonym is not a definition. If you want to actually understand my position (since you quite evidently don't right now), you'd do well to take the conversation one step at a time.

Comment

A synonym is not a definition. If you want to actually understand my position (since you quite evidently don't right now), you'd do well to take the conversation one step at a time.
                          Well since we are talking about what YOU believe it means, it only makes sense that YOU define it, OK?

Judging by the previous discussion in this thread, you seem to think that CEO's make too much and should only make enough to live on, while using the rest to make their worker's lives as good as they possibly can.

Comment

Well since we are talking about what YOU believe it means, it only makes sense that YOU define it, OK?
                            Exactly Now, let's stop trying to define each others' positions and listen, 'k?

Judging by the previous discussion in this thread, you seem to think that CEO's make too much and should only make enough to live on, while using the rest to make their worker's lives as good as they possibly can.
                            It's not just about improving the lives of workers (or the stockholders, for that matter), but of everyone in society-- that's what I mean when I say a business is about contributing to the common good.

It's not that it's wrong to derive some creature comforts (i.e. enjoy at least a marginally higher standard of living) from a job well done, but that the rewards we give our CEO's seem to be far beyond what we can say is truly just.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's start by making sure we're on the same page r.e. avarice, if that's OK with you.

Comment

It's not just about improving the lives of workers (or the stockholders, for that matter), but of everyone in society-- that's what I mean when I say a business is about contributing to the common good.
                              Or do you mean that, IN YOUR OPINION, a business SHOULD be about contributing to the common good? Because, obviously, not all ARE.

It's not that it's wrong to derive some creature comforts (i.e. enjoy at least a marginally higher standard of living) from a job well done, but that the rewards we give our CEO's seem to be far beyond what we can say is truly just.
                              So, the three partners who started up the gas compression company I worked for -- who gets to decide how much is "enough" for their salaries?

By the way -- my salary was north of a hundred grand a year plus bonuses. Did I make too much?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Or do you mean that, IN YOUR OPINION, a business SHOULD be about contributing to the common good? Because, obviously, not all ARE.

So, the three partners who started up the gas compression company I worked for -- who gets to decide how much is "enough" for their salaries?

By the way -- my salary was north of a hundred grand a year plus bonuses. Did I make too much?
                                Hold on, there, cowboy. We're taking this one step at a time.

Comment