Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Perform Same-Sex Marriage Or Go To Jail !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Oops, I'm sure you're right. For some reason I always get those guys confused.
    They stay confused enough without your assistance.

Not sure whom I owe an apology to!
    Yup!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I foresee a legal case here. One lawyer is going to argue that ministers cannot be compelled to perform ceremonies disallowed by their religion. He might even argue that such coercion would be like the reporters who served jail time rather than reveal their sources. If I were a minister required by law to violate my beliefs, I'd certainly go to jail first.

The other lawyer would be pounding the law itself - that this wedding mill is NOT a church, that it is NOT tax-exempt, that it is NOT nonprofit, that it meets all the legal requirements of a for-profit business subject to the laws applying to all for-profit businesses. That the product they're offering for sale is just like the product of the florist. It wouldn't help the florist to become an ordained minister and use that as a pretext to refuse to sell flowers. These people are a business offering a product to the public.

Now, if I were the judge, I'd distinguish between the busines and the ministers, and rule that the business as a business must perform this wedding, but that there would be no problem sub-contracting the ceremony out to a suitable licenced minister or GP licenced to perform legal marriages. Or that alternatively this business go through the legal process of becoming an actual church, giving up their for-profit status.

But the danger to be guarded against here is of business people running out to buy minister licences or whatever, just as some posters here purchase PhD degrees - solely to create false impressions or evade laws. In other words, we don't want a condition where religion trumps the law.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
        But the danger to be guarded against here is of business people running out to buy minister licences or whatever, just as some posters here purchase PhD degrees - solely to create false impressions or evade laws. In other words, we don't want a condition where religion trumps the law.
        Ever hear of the Universal Life Church? I'm on their ordination lists somewhere, thanks to a prankster in college.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I think a chapel where they advertise ordained Christian ministers (according to their website) counts as a Christian institution and they would be covered by the constitution. Especially if they show that they have in the past refused to perform weddings on non-believers, or people of different religions.
          Nonsense! It's a profit-making business and as such is designated by the federal Civil Rights Act as a "Public Accommodation" and subject to the same laws against discrimination as any other business.

Comment

Not sure whom I owe an apology to!
            BtC is a lot more likely to offer you bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              BtC is a lot more likely to offer you bacon.
              Leave me outta this, jerk.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Bill the Cat is preparing a list of the top ten so stay tuned.
                Are you familiar with the term... "sarcasm"??
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Are you familiar with the term... "sarcasm"??
                  No, but if you hum a few bars, I'll fake it ...
                  אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Ever hear of the Universal Life Church? I'm on their ordination lists somewhere, thanks to a prankster in college.
                    Hey, I was ordained by a friend years ago - long before I came to know Christ.
                    Last edited by Jedidiah; 10-21-2014, 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling or typing
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

My guess is that since it is open for rental from anyone in John Q Public for profit, they will have to allow gay marriages to be performed there...but surely they could not require the owners to perform or provide the ministers to perform the ceremony though.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        ..but surely they could not require the owners to perform or provide the ministers to perform the ceremony though.
                        I'm not so sure. But if Hobby Lobby did not have to offer birth control in their employe medical insurance policy, based on religious convictions, I don't see how these ministers could be compelled to perform gay marriage. But in this case they are saying that the ministers do have to officiate by law.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Nonsense! It's a profit-making business and as such is designated by the federal Civil Rights Act as a "Public Accommodation" and subject to the same laws against discrimination as any other business.
                          profit or non-profit are separate categories that have nothing to do with religion or the civil rights act.

Read it yourself instead of just spouting what you want it to say:

http://www.citizensource.com/History...A1964/CRA2.htm
                          Last edited by Sparko; 10-21-2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            profit or non-profit are separate categories that have nothing to do with religion or the civil rights act.

Read it yourself instead of just spouting what you want it to say:

http://www.citizensource.com/History...A1964/CRA2.htm
                            ??? The violation was of a city ordinance, not the Civil Rights Act. Tassman is over-reaching. The city says this for-profit marriage mill falls within their jurisdiction as a business. It remains for a court to decide if they can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                              ??? The violation was of a city ordinance, not the Civil Rights Act. Tassman is over-reaching. The city says this for-profit marriage mill falls within their jurisdiction as a business. It remains for a court to decide if they can do that.
                              http://www.twocare.org/idaho-pastors...ligious-right/

Comment

FYI - on Fox last night: it looks like the City is backing off. And if the Knapps register as a "religious corporation," which they are doing, they will be protected by Idaho state law going forward. A good thing...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment