Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jedidiah,
    re: "The early Christians worshiped on the the first day of the week."

But not the early Christians mentioned in scripture - at least there is no scripture that says that they did.

re: "For them that was the day after the Sabbath, what we now see as Saturday."

Except in much of Europe and other parts of the world where the Sabbath is labled Sunday.

re: "Thus, whatever any calendar says, the day after the Sabbath is the first day of the week."

Agreed.

re: ". I am not aware of any scripture that mandates first day worship."

That's because there isn't any.

re: "As a Baptist you should be aware of all this."

And indeed I am.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
      Does the resurrection on the supposed first day of the week have any influence on the day of the week for when a majority of Christians feel they should gather to worship?
      For Orthodox Christians, it does; Sunday is explicitly a celebration of the Resurrection. Theologically, it is considered the eighth day. Of course, in most non-Muslim areas, it is much more convenient to attend services on Saturday or Sunday, although that was not the case in the first centuries of the church. (Muslims worship on Fridays to distinguish themselves from Jews and Christians; IIRC the Muslim weekend is Thursday-Friday.)

ETA: This seems to be the same for Roman Catholics. Together with Orthodox Christians, that's certainly a majority of Christians.
      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 10-28-2015, 03:25 PM.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Jedidiah,
        re: "The early Christians worshiped on the the first day of the week."

But not the early Christians mentioned in scripture - at least there is no scripture that says that they did.
        Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

Comment

I don't think Sunday worship is necessarily commanded but rather is a Church tradition. And while traditions aren't binding I think there are good reasons to continue this one. 1) It is honoring the Resurrection. 2) As it has been pointed out, the vast majority of the world wide Church meets on Sunday. This means that regardless of our differences we are all worshiping the Lord together on the same day. This sort of unity seems like a good thing.
          Last edited by Paula; 10-29-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

One Bad Pig,
            re: " Theologically, it is considered the eighth day."

However, the first day of the week is never referred to in scripture as the eighth day.

re: "For Orthodox Christians, it does; Sunday is explicitly a celebration of the Resurrection."

Hence my question in the OP.

Comment

One Bad Pig,
              re: " Theologically, it is considered the eighth day."

However, the first day of the week is never referred to in scripture as the eighth day.
              I don't hold to sola scriptura.
              re: "For Orthodox Christians, it does; Sunday is explicitly a celebration of the Resurrection."

Hence my question in the OP.
              As far as I am aware, every Orthodox (and Roman Catholic) parish holds services on Sunday. Some also hold services Saturday evening, which is liturgically considered Sunday (the liturgical day starts with Vespers, at sundown).
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sparko,

Any particular reason for referencing Acts 20:7 in your post #18?

Comment