Announcement

Collapse

Glory Seed Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

These daily devotionals are brought to you by Gary Piper, a writer with our Sister Site, Natural Spirit Ministries. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support their site.... they have many informative articles which can be discussed right here. If you enjoy Gary Piper's devotionals, please send him an encouraging note or post. We are very appreciative of our partnership with Natural Spirit Ministries and look forward to many more co-ventures.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Glory Seed Devotional 10/23/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glory Seed Devotional 10/23/2014

christ-samaritan-woman-at-well-living-water-simon-dewey-3.jpg

A Glory Seed Devotional
    When you thirst? Get into you “heart”…

Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life." (John 4:13-14 NRSV)

Does this have a familiar ring? “The soul by nature is like such a desert, or like a traveler wandering through such a desert. It is thirsting for happiness, and seeking it everywhere, and finds it not. It looks in all directions and tries all objects, but in vain. Nothing meets its desires.” (Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible) If Jesus is alive in your “heart” then Albert Barnes comment is a memory that haunts you from time-to-time. However, if Jesus is alive in your “head” then it is not a memory but living events in your day-to-day living. Happiness, joy, love, hope, and peace are not the source of thirst the need for Jesus to be alive in the “heart” is the source.

Christine Valters Painter in her book Eyes of the Heart: Photography as a Christian Contemplative Practice quotes Mystic St. Theophan the Recluse describes our thirsting for Jesus this way. “You’ve got to get out of your head and into your heart. Right now your thoughts are in your head, and God seems to be outside you. Your prayer and all your spiritual exercises also remain exterior. As long as you are in your head, you will never master your thoughts, which continue to whirl around your head like snow in a winter’s storm or like mosquitoes in the summer’s heat.” (Page 17, Ave Maria Press, Kindle Edition)

Painter goes on to explain the importance of getting out of our head and into our “heart”. “The heart is not just active but also receptive. The heart is the place of meaning-making, where we discover how we are called to be in the world. It is the ground of our being and a symbol of the wholeness of who we are.” (Pages 18-19)

When we get thirsty we turn on the tap for a glass of water, or go to the fridge for a bottle of water, a glass of milk, or a glass of juice. When our thirst becomes spiritual if we go into our “heart” we’ll find “a spring of water gushing up to eternal life,” coming out of God’s grace and given to us by the Holy Spirit. “Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me.” (Revelation 3:20 NRSV)

Believe it! Experience it!
    Grace and PEACE,
    Gary

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6 NRSV)

Note: Should you want to go back and review this Glory Seed or if you’d like to subscribe so you can receive them in your email you can do so by clicking on this link: http://gloryseeds.wordpress.com/.

“The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission. All rights reserved.”
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X