Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Physics professor endorces Intelligent Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    Well, yes, if one begins with the assumption that there is a Creator, then the universe is a great reinforcement of that assumption. I don't think there is enough evidence to convince a skeptic, though...
    Amen, brother. If you believe that cars are teleported to earth straight from heaven, the the existence of cars is an equally great reinforcement of that belief. What Shuny is doing is tracking back, seeing that cars come from factories, seeing that the factories assemble cars from subassemblies provided by multiple suppliers, seeing that ultimately the individual parts are machined from materials extracted from ores, oil, cows, etc. Nothing supernatural anywhere in the system.

The confusion arises over exactly where in all this the magic is inserted. Seer thinks the magic produces the end product (our universe) ex nihilo, whereas Shuny thinks the magic lies somewhere in the conditions that gave rise to our particular big bang. And of course, some of us are under the impression that insufficient information is NOT "evidence" of a designer or creator or other sort-of-human entity. That indeed, such entities are the wages of pride, the inability to admit ignorance.
    Last edited by phank; 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by phank View Post
      Amen, brother. If you believe that cars are teleported to earth straight from heaven, the the existence of cars is an equally great reinforcement of that belief. What Shuny is doing is tracking back, seeing that cars come from factories, seeing that the factories assemble cars from subassemblies provided by multiple suppliers, seeing that ultimately the individual parts are machined from materials extracted from ores, oil, cows, etc. Nothing supernatural anywhere in the system.

The confusion arises over exactly where in all this the magic is inserted. Seer thinks the magic produces the end product (our universe) ex nihilo, whereas Shuny thinks the magic lies somewhere in the conditions that gave rise to our particular big bang. And of course, some of us are under the impression that insufficient information is NOT "evidence" of a designer or creator or other sort-of-human entity. That indeed, such entities are the wages of pride, the inability to admit ignorance.
      Cars aren't natural phenomena? ?
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by phank View Post
        I know you think I was being sarcastic, but I wasn't. To the extent I can, I believe that "The heavens declare the glory of God," in that a believer can see them and be moved to appreciate the wisdom and care that would go into such a design, if it was designed. But since human beings are not in any position to conceptually distinguish between a designed universe (in the non-ID sense) and an un-designed one, teleological evidence in the Enlightenment apologetics sense is not really possible by definition.

Divine intervention is not required if God is the underpinnings of the very fabric of reality.
        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
          I know you think I was being sarcastic, but I wasn't. To the extent I can, I believe that "The heavens declare the glory of God," in that a believer can see them and be moved to appreciate the wisdom and care that would go into such a design, if it was designed. But since human beings are not in any position to conceptually distinguish between a designed universe (in the non-ID sense) and an un-designed one, teleological evidence in the Enlightenment apologetics sense is not really possible by definition.

Divine intervention is not required if God is the underpinnings of the very fabric of reality.
          True
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment