Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Physics professor endorces Intelligent Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    It's notable that I agree more with Phank, the New Atheist, than with KB, Mossrose, and Teallaura.

"ID" in the Philip Johnson sense is scientifically unfalsifiable -- just like belief in the supernatural. In the Mossrose sense then it's a "religion".

If we can't even agree that Intelligent Design(tm) IS a religion and Evilution ain't, then all discussions are gonna end up like this.

K54

P.S. Not to offend anyone (heehee), but if anyone can show that SCIENTIFIC evolution is a RELIGION is going to earn 1,000 Klaus points.
    You still haven't made any counterpoints to my previous response to you.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
      maybe Shuny is Russian
      In Russia Intelligent Design "endorces" Physics professors

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        There's just one problem here - I don't have a position on YEC/OEC/TE/E/XYZ - ask Rogue, I don't debate them at all. You merely assume that you know something and argue from it - how is that an interest in the truth?

My point stands, you do not argue substantively that I have seen (case in point) and you are hypocritical to complain about what others believe - or not.

You are the thing you profess to hate. That is the truly sad bit - or you're just trolling, one of the two.
        Neither of the two.

I just hate ignorance, especially when professed with confidence.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          You still haven't made any counterpoints to my previous response to you.
          How does one come up with counterpoints to the unfalsifiable?

K54

Comment

IIRC, Teal's not a YEC but simply wants a good conversation between the different factions. I don't see then need why you need to feel sorry for Mossrose and Cerebrum. They have a opposing view from you. That doesn't automatically exclude them from the conversation.
            An opposing view on WHAT? The unfalsifiable?

Might as well be boxing the air.

K54

P.S. How many angels can dance on the head of 10 penny nail?

I expect a substantive response.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
              ... he supports "intelligent design" as a principle (as do all Christians) but not "Intelligent Design" as a movement.
              I think that's always a very important distinction to keep in mind, particularly by atheists such as myself, when dealing with theists.

There is one aspect of intelligent design which is, in a way, quite reasonable. The notion of intelligent design is intimately bound up with theism and is not an unreasonable idea. Another aspect to it, ID, is simply silly.

Comment

Neither of the two.

K54
                Translation: the latter.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Neither of the two.

K54
                  Is that ironic or is that ironic.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                    I think that's always a very important distinction to keep in mind, particularly by atheists such as myself, when dealing with theists.

There is one aspect of intelligent design which is, in a way, quite reasonable. The notion of intelligent design is intimately bound up with theism and is not an unreasonable idea. Another aspect to it, ID, is simply silly.
                    I find it hard to follow on occasion because there seems to be a good deal of confusion about what is intended.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I find it hard to follow on occasion because there seems to be a good deal of confusion about what is intended.
                      I always thought ID was the same thing as theistic evolution...
                      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

I think it's more of an umbrella term - hence the confusion when arguing specifics.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Naturally. What is intended is along the lines of
                          some-version-of-creationism-but-we-don't-want-to-call-it-that. That's how the term originated, as the exhibits from the Kitzmiller trial made perfectly clear. Intelligent design is an offshoot of creationism with the references to scripture removed.

Roy
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

As far as I can tell (from sources such as the Discovery Institute and Uncommon Descent), ID is fundamentally incompatible with the theory of evolution. Basically, ID appeals to those who believe that evolution never happened, and ex nihilo creation happened instead.

As I understand it, the theistic evolutionists tend to believe that the evidence for the fact of evolution is pretty solid, but that the entire process was either initialized, or guided, or both, by some indetectible intelligent agency, namely the god(s) of their respective faiths.

Technically, ID doesn't actually take a specific stand on the age of the earth, the theory of evolution, etc. except insofar as insisting that nothing of the sort could possibly have happened without some supernatural component. But as I said, the appeal they make (in their arguments, and for their funding) is to YECs.

Comment

Not all ID proponents are YEC.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                Not all ID proponents are YEC.
                                Some are OEC and a couple even say that they're agnostic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment