Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

It Happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Alone? We won't allow that.
      Exactly. Laura, you are NEVER alone in His Body.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thanks, guys...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

for you Teal

Comment

Words of advice from someone who's been where you are right now. Treat your job hunting like a job. Work at it at least 4-6 hrs a day...network like crazy, ask people if they know someone hiring for your skill set. If you know managers or owners of businesses (at your church maybe?) ask for an appointment to get their advice. Take your resume' and ask them to look at it and make suggestions as to the wording, clarifying etc. Ask them what they would suggest you look for, if they know of anyone looking for your skill set....etc. Don't ask them for a job, just advice, you will be shocked at how much people will help you if your aren't asking for a job. Be open to temporary jobs. I did this back in 2004 and I ended up offering to apprentice just to learn how to do AutoCAD computer drafting for free. I was drawing unemployment so I went to work everyday and learned how and it didn't cost them anything. I was able to showcase my work ethic and abilities and surprise, surprise, they offered me a permanent job!
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              Words of advice from someone who's been where you are right now. Treat your job hunting like a job. Work at it at least 4-6 hrs a day...network like crazy, ask people if they know someone hiring for your skill set. If you know managers or owners of businesses (at your church maybe?) ask for an appointment to get their advice. Take your resume' and ask them to look at it and make suggestions as to the wording, clarifying etc. Ask them what they would suggest you look for, if they know of anyone looking for your skill set....etc. Don't ask them for a job, just advice, you will be shocked at how much people will help you if your aren't asking for a job. Be open to temporary jobs. I did this back in 2004 and I ended up offering to apprentice just to learn how to do AutoCAD computer drafting for free. I was drawing unemployment so I went to work everyday and learned how and it didn't cost them anything. I was able to showcase my work ethic and abilities and surprise, surprise, they offered me a permanent job!
              yeah
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Might want to check into working in a law firm. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on things in that area. Maybe you could get a paralegal certificate too.

But being a cat, I think you will always land on your feet!

A paralegal certificate is not necessary, in my experience. You could also look for work as a legal secretary, though if my firm is any indication there are much fewer secretaries needed these days (we had a secretary for every 2 or 3 lawyers when I started 7 years ago; now it's a secretary for every 4 or 5 lawyers).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Career.com, Monster.com and LinkedIn are also good sources to check. LinkedIn is good for networking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Career.com, Monster.com and LinkedIn are also good sources to check. LinkedIn is good for networking.
                    And indeed.com
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And indeed.com
                      indeed!
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And indeed.com
                        I haven't tried that one. Isn't that some sort of bid on contract type job auction sites? Usually those end up wasting your time because somebody always underbids you. Good for employers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

Thank you.

I am making a point to be out of the house by 9 (10 at the absolute latest) and working on job hunting ASAP. I've done a very little but only because I haven't quite finished my appeal. I figure on dividing my time between job hunting proper, marketing/blogging (making money in the meantime, I hope) and doing projects at church (I gotta do something that seems more productive!) in that order of priority.

I stink at networking but I plan to ask around at church to find out who I should be talking to. I will try your suggestions as well - thanks so much!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And indeed.com
                            I'm on that one already. I will work on it and the others after I finish my appeal.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              A paralegal certificate is not necessary, in my experience. You could also look for work as a legal secretary, though if my firm is any indication there are much fewer secretaries needed these days (we had a secretary for every 2 or 3 lawyers when I started 7 years ago; now it's a secretary for every 4 or 5 lawyers).
                              My mom was a legal secretary - I sooooo do NOT have the skill for that! Typing is not genetic, unfortunately...

But I can look into paralegal if a certificate isn't necessary...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Still nothing. No unemployment - that might happen if I can ever reach the girl I'm supposed to call. No job and not at all sure what will be in my last paycheck - possibly okay but possibly not.

God is still good!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment