Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Smoothie makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothie makers

Ever since my wife's cancer, we've been looking at ways to eat better.

Her cancer was "hormone fed", so we were provided with a list of things she should eat, and things she should avoid.

Almonds, kale, organic flax seed, red and blue berries....

So, every morning, I use our Ninja Bullet to make her a smoothie containing these items, along with a banana and some low fat yogurt. For the fruit, we use a "tri berry" mix of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries), and that's probably the most challenging ingredient for the blender.

Lately, the Magic Bullet seems to bog down on the frozen fruit, kinda "glazing the bottom" of the pile of fruit into an icy ring, then just sitting there spinning, not doing anything.

I'm looking for something better. Any Smoothie Makers out there who can recommend a better solution than the Magic Bullet?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Here's what we HAD been using... (as seen on TV, of course)

bullet.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's what CONSUMER REPORTS recommends.... pay particular attention to the unit at the bottom of the list. I'm not real sure how that one makes smoothies.

blenders.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Here's what CONSUMER REPORTS recommends.... pay particular attention to the unit at the bottom of the list. I'm not real sure how that one makes smoothies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2408[/ATTACH]

Comment

I'm not real sure how that one makes smoothies.
          Sometimes, it's not gas.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            Sometimes, it's not gas.

Comment

Stay away from soy, CP. It is bad for people because it does stuff with hormones.

My daughter the personal trainer uses a magic bullet for her smoothies. Hasn't complained about problems with it.

Maybe you need to have partially thawed fruit? Take it out of the freezer the night before and leave it in the fridge? Or just let it sit on the cupboard for a while in the morning? I have frozen fruit with yogurt every evening and I take it out of the freezer at dinner time and in less than an hour it's thawed.

If I forget I nuke it for a few seconds and that thaws it enough for me to eat. I guess nuke time would depend on how much you are using in the smoothie.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                Sometimes, it's not gas.
                I was thinking of posting something similar, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Stay away from soy, CP. It is bad for people because it does stuff with hormones.

My daughter the personal trainer uses a magic bullet for her smoothies. Hasn't complained about problems with it.

Maybe you need to have partially thawed fruit? Take it out of the freezer the night before and leave it in the fridge? Or just let it sit on the cupboard for a while in the morning? I have frozen fruit with yogurt every evening and I take it out of the freezer at dinner time and in less than an hour it's thawed.

If I forget I nuke it for a few seconds and that thaws it enough for me to eat. I guess nuke time would depend on how much you are using in the smoothie.

yeah, SOY is one of the things she was told to avoid --- and it's in EVERYTHING!!!! It's hard to find prepared foods that do NOT contain soy! Or even DRINKS! We found a really good blueberry pomegranate drink, but one of the ingredients was SOY!

Comment

If the thing was working and now it isn't doing so well, check to see if it needs something like new blades.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      If the thing was working and now it isn't doing so well, check to see if it needs something like new blades.
                      Yeah, checking that, too... but if it dulls blades that quickly, I don't wanna always be buying new blades, which are built into the drive mechanism, and essentially part of the.... It might cost more to get 'new blades' than getting a whole new unit.

Comment

Blades was just the first thing that came to mind - does it use a battery back up?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Blades was just the first thing that came to mind - does it use a battery back up?

Comment

Yeah, checking that, too... but if it dulls blades that quickly, I don't wanna always be buying new blades, which are built into the drive mechanism, and essentially part of the.... It might cost more to get 'new blades' than getting a whole new unit.
                            Can you contact the company? They might have some thoughts for you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

With a standard type blender you can add stuff like that a little at a time. It does not look like a feasible thing with your Magic Bullet. I have occasionally made smoothies with our blender - seems to work well.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment