Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the Affordable Care Act Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The purpose of ACA is to get more people dependent on the government.
    How so?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Sure. ACA works if the goal is to get more people insured and address some issues in that regard. However, it does not work if the goal is to heal the sick. The only solution to that problem is UHC, as found in Scandinavia, as well as many other countries.
      As I said before, talk to mossrose about that.

Usually countries with UHC have crappy doctors, and you end up waiting forever to get even simple scans or X-rays done. By the time they figure out why you are sick, you have probably been dead 3 years.

It doesn't have to be that way but that is the way it generally ends up. I hear Cuba actually has a pretty good UHC system.

Comment

How so?
        By any means necessary, including extreme idiocy "you have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" and pathological lying "you can KEEP your doctor, period".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Usually countries with UHC have crappy doctors, and you end up waiting forever to get even simple scans or X-rays done. By the time they figure out why you are sick, you have probably been dead 3 years.

It doesn't have to be that way but that is the way it generally ends up. I hear Cuba actually has a pretty good UHC system.
          I found that to be not the case at all. I've spoken with people from countries with universal healthcare and they have no complaints, but that's anecdotal evidence. I found this article that confirms my suspicions.

Comment

By any means necessary, including extreme idiocy "you have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" and pathological lying "you can KEEP your doctor, period".
            I see those as problems, but I don't see how those create dependency on the government for anything but disappointment.

Comment

I see those as problems, but I don't see how those create dependency on the government for anything but disappointment.
              No, but those "problems" were necessary for the groundwork for this government power grab. I do commend you, however, for admitting those were problems. OTHERS here tried to rationalize and/or defend them!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I found that to be not the case at all. I've spoken with people from countries with universal healthcare and they have no complaints, but that's anecdotal evidence. I found this article that confirms my suspicions.
                I am sure you can google till you find something to confirm your suspicions (or more accurately your bias) no matter what the topic is. Such as that article which is not biased in the least

Comment

No, but those "problems" were necessary for the groundwork for this government power grab. I do commend you, however, for admitting those were problems. OTHERS here tried to rationalize and/or defend them!
                  I see your point, but still don't understand what it has to do with people dependent on something.

Comment

I am sure you can google till you find something to confirm your suspicions (or more accurately your bias) no matter what the topic is. Such as that article which is not biased in the least
                    The article is based on a study, and since you don't have any criticisms of the study, I can only assume that your problem is that it says something you don't want to hear.

Comment

I see your point, but still don't understand what it has to do with people dependent on something.
                      What right does the government have to require that I purchase health insurance that THEY prescribe? It wasn't just "you can keep your doctor, period - you can keep your policy, period" - it was then modified to "well, if WE APPROVE of your policy, and don't declare it "junk", THEN you can keep your policy...." It was an outright lie to begin with.

Comment

What right does the government have to require that I purchase health insurance that THEY prescribe? It wasn't just "you can keep your doctor, period - you can keep your policy, period" - it was then modified to "well, if WE APPROVE of your policy, and don't declare it "junk", THEN you can keep your policy...." It was an outright lie to begin with.
                        Misrepresentation of the bill aside, I don't think the regulations are any different from FDA regulations on food or medicine. They are gate keeping a minimum quality. Whether those regulations are effective is a separate issue from whether regulations on health insurance cause dependency.

Comment

The article is based on a study, and since you don't have any criticisms of the study, I can only assume that your problem is that it says something you don't want to hear.
                          a study by whom?

Comment

Sounds like the way we treat our veterans . . . oh wait that is the federal government isn't it?
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Sounds like the way we treat our veterans . . . oh wait that is the federal government isn't it?
                              Try being a veteran who "only" served in the National Guard, yet did 14 months deployed for 9/11. I get NOTHING from the VA until I hit 64.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Comment