Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun moderate reading level books?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wouldn't recommend the Space Trilogy for kids. I tried Out of the Silent Planet when I was maybe 10 or 11, and it was a weird experience. Didn't read it again until I was in my 20s, I think.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The older lad is nearly ready for Terry Pratchett's Discworld. And the younger older ones ones should be good for his Carpet People and the Bromilliad series (and Maybe the Johnny series...but read it first)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I found those really tough going, for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the Space Trilogy for kids. I tried Out of the Silent Planet when I was maybe 10 or 11, and it was a weird experience. Didn't read it again until I was in my 20s, I think.
    I really liked science fiction as a kid so that may make a difference.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I really liked science fiction as a kid so that may make a difference.
    So did I. I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton growing up, as well as a few anthologies of 50's/60's SF.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    So did I. I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton growing up, as well as a few anthologies of 50's/60's SF.
    Arthur C. Clarke was my favorite, then a huge collection edited by Asimov of very short stories ruined the longer works for me. The essence of the idea, distilled into the minimally publishable unit. This was taken to the extreme by Kurt Vonnegut's thumbnail sketches of the works of Kilgore Trout, each encapsulated into a small paragraph with a mind blowing idea. From there it was a natural progression to Voltaire in high school and the Colloquies of Erasmus in college. But I digress.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's a good list over on John C. Wright's blog here:

http://www.scifiwright.com/2014/11/building-a-library/

I've bought the complete Father Brown mysteries and will be picking up the Chronicles of Prydain when I next visit England, I also found a used copy of Mad Scientists' Club and some Calvin and Hobbes books for basically just postage, so I grabbed those, plus a lot of Robert Louis Stevenson classics for free on kindle.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Proofreader, editor and promotional video maker for Superversive Press, where hope is the new genre.

Listen to a Tale of the Once and Future King

7. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
    There's a good list over on John C. Wright's blog here:

http://www.scifiwright.com/2014/11/building-a-library/

I've bought the complete Father Brown mysteries and will be picking up the Chronicles of Prydain when I next visit England, I also found a used copy of Mad Scientists' Club and some Calvin and Hobbes books for basically just postage, so I grabbed those, plus a lot of Robert Louis Stevenson classics for free on kindle.
    If you're looking for comics, Foxtrot is good too.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist