Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My Tax Dollars at Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Tax Dollars at Work!

Got some groceries this afternoon at Walmart.

Lines were long, everybody getting ready for the deep freeze.

I had JUST ENOUGH items not to go through the "20 items or less" line.

Woman in front of me had FULL cart, plus 4 small children.
    I should have known better!

As she’s putting stuff on the counter, kids are screaming, and she keeps telling the ringer-upper “this is on sale 2 for a dollar” “this is on sale for 33 cents” “this is on sale for 99 cents a pound”, etc….
    She’s in slow motion, and the ringer-upper is a young lady who’s being VERY patient, but I could tell she was getting anxious….
    The tally rang up, finally, to $336 and change.

THEN the woman started digging through her purse for COUPONS!!!!
    No order, whatsoever, she just kept digging through the stack of coupons for ones she thought might apply, and not all of them did!
    After a season of that, the NEW total was $311 and change.

NOW she can’t find her WIC card!
    She digs through her purse, all her pockets, her purse again, then asks the ringer-upper “if I find it later, can I get refunded on the WIC items?”
    The ringer-upper assures her she can, but she’ll need to do that at the service desk.
    The woman agrees, but NOW she cannot find her CREDIT card.

She digs through her purse, FINALLY finds the credit card and pays, and AFTER it “swipes”, she says, “Oh, here’s my WIC card!”
    And she insists that the ringer-upper re-ring her WIC items, and retotal the balance.
    This requires a CSM (Customer Service Manager?) and it takes a few minutes for one to arrive.

CSM finally arrives, and says “we need to re-scan all the WIC items”, and starts doing so.
    The ringer-upper looks at me with a “I’m so sorry” look, and I ask her politely if it’s possible to open the next line over (right behind me) and ring up my stuff.
    The CSM overhears, and agrees, and I start handing my things over (they were already on the belt by that time).

Again, the ringer-upper apologizes sincerely for the delay, but I tell her, “hey, it’s not your fault that a customer was totally unprepared to shop”, at which the woman turns to me and yells “F you!”

Sheeeeeesh.

My tax dollars at work!

As I was headed to the exit, the woman was still having things re-scanned, and arguing with the CSM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Oh... Oh dear... If someone can afford $311 in groceries why are they on WIC? I get WIC now. WIC is for pregnant women and children up to age 5 with a certain income limit. A family of four in 48 states may make up to 43,568 and receive WIC. Although if we made that much I probably would never set foot inside the WIC office. Quite frankly if you have 4 people in the home and made that, the grocery bill wouldn't be that high in one trip (well not in my house) We'd be saving some money for other things. And in all honesty you don't argue with someone like that. Its insanity. If you use govt. aid, please use it responsibly.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Oh... Oh dear... If someone can afford $311 in groceries why are they on WIC? I get WIC now. WIC is for pregnant women and children up to age 5 with a certain income limit. A family of four in 48 states may make up to 43,568 and receive WIC. Although if we made that much I probably would never set foot inside the WIC office. Quite frankly if you have 4 people in the home and made that, the grocery bill wouldn't be that high in one trip (well not in my house) We'd be saving some money for other things. And in all honesty you don't argue with someone like that. Its insanity. If you use govt. aid, please use it responsibly.
      Well, I don't see it as often as I used to -- probably because you can't really tell when they're using a State Debit Card as opposed to their own personal funds unless they say something -- but I HAVE seen people run all their "regular" groceries through, and have the clerk "tally" them, THEN they run their beer, cigarettes, and other NON-qualifying stuff and pay for those on their OWN credit card.

There are just so MANY ways to cheat!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Well, I don't see it as often as I used to -- probably because you can't really tell when they're using a State Debit Card as opposed to their own personal funds unless they say something -- but I HAVE seen people run all their "regular" groceries through, and have the clerk "tally" them, THEN they run their beer, cigarettes, and other NON-qualifying stuff and pay for those on their OWN credit card.

There are just so MANY ways to cheat!
        well non qualifying stuff also includes shampoo and toilet paper. But when I got FS I used to pay for those with cash.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          well non qualifying stuff also includes shampoo and toilet paper. But when I got FS I used to pay for those with cash.
          Didn't know that.... maybe that's why the local shelter dispenses so much of those products. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anybody necessities such as those, but, as a police officer, I've seen TOO MANY TIMES where "dad" can buy beer and cigarettes, but mom has to work the local resources to get groceries.

Comment

rule #1
            never get behind a woman in a shopping line.
            rule #2
            go to rule #1

corrolary 1
            the bigger her purse the slower she will be

Comment

Shampoo and toilet paper don't qualify?? How are they getting to job interviews if they can't get help to smell good????
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Shampoo and toilet paper don't qualify?? How are they getting to job interviews if they can't get help to smell good????
                They don't you are not legally allowed to purchase them with food stamps. Food stamps are for food only. That is why charities dispense toiletries. And unfortunately CP my ex-husband would attempt to take money for toiletries and use it for beer and cigarettes when I needed it to purchase necessities. And too many people told me I should stay in that relationship for my child's sake or else I was violating the Bible. Umm......
                Last edited by Catholicity; 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  Amen to that!
                  3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

It isn't just folks on WIC. I seem to always find myself behind someone with a shopping cart brimming over in the "15 items or less line" who waits until everything is totaled before it even dawns on them that they need to get their checkbook out.

I always have my check filled out except for the total before they're finished scanning my purchases. I'm also finding myself going to the self check out areas more often as a result.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It isn't just folks on WIC. I seem to always find myself behind someone with a shopping cart brimming over in the "15 items or less line" who waits until everything is totaled before it even dawns on them that they need to get their checkbook out.

I always have my check filled out except for the total before they're finished scanning my purchases. I'm also finding myself going to the self check out areas more often as a result.
                      yeah

Comment

Oh food stamps. Sorry. My reading comprehension dives sometimes.

We run a pantry for church members that need help. It's separate from the food ministry outcleanliness is a buy deodorant shampoo and stuff like that on the theory that cleaniness boosts morale. If they don't like the brands...hmmmm....but they're in need....?

Edited: erm, i don't run the pantry or food ministry. .. I just support them.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X