Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Dems are Getting Desperate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Er, that's your language, not mine. Your painting of seer (with whom I do not always agree) as wrong 100% of the time is a refusal to consider that he might be right on something.
    I didn't refuse to consider that possibility. It's just that literally every single time I've seen him label something as "fascist" or "communist," it isn't fascist or communist--and if it is, it's deeply subtle and I've yet to see him expound upon his assessment. So I find it fair to say that so far, he's been wrong 100% of the time in this regard.

Don't like it much when your own tactic is used on you, do you?
    That doesn't make any sense. How is that MY tactic? Where have I accused my ideological opponents here of "refusing" to see my point of view? When I see that they disagree, I always clarify and explain my position. I don't ignore their arguments against mine and say "None are so blind as those who refuse to see."

It is all too easy to see "we will be interested to hear why you didn't vote" as the Inquisition saying, "we will be interested to hear why you are not a heretic." They're being deliberately vague, and letting people's imaginations fill in the potential consequences, but it's an unmistakable strong-arm tactic intended to goad people into voting.
    Now I can see how some people might get that impression, but that still seems a bit too exaggerated to me.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

The thread title "The Dems are Getting Desperate! ' is accurate. Both major parties are getting desperate. How many robot phone calls to you get every day, how many emails warning of dire consequenses?. This example is one among many. Republicrats are desperate and more so as the election gets nearer.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Sorry, this is no worse than the example in the OP. I don't like the use of the phrase in large letters, but if you take the time to read past it, then the mailers imply no such thing.
        The phrasing in large letters, in addition to the official-looking warnings on the envelope, is what makes it worse. The idea being that a subset of voters won't take the time to read the contents but make an inference from the writing on the outside of the envelope, discouraging voting. Vote shaming is about pushing people to get out and vote. That envelope is about the opposite.

And then you have these guys:

GOP To Iowans: Your Neighbors Will Know If You Don’t Vote Republicans

If there's a line, it shall be crossed.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          The phrasing in large letters, in addition to the official-looking warnings on the envelope, is what makes it worse. The idea being that a subset of voters won't take the time to read the contents but make an inference from the writing on the outside of the envelope, discouraging voting. Vote shaming is about pushing people to get out and vote. That envelope is about the opposite.

And then you have these guys:

GOP To Iowans: Your Neighbors Will Know If You Don’t Vote Republicans

If there's a line, it shall be crossed.
          Okay, now something like THIS clarifies what you guys meant earlier.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment