Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

For Christians only - If pot were legal in your state would you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For that matter, society would probably be better off if tobacco smoking had never become a major legal industry. I have no doubt it's more dangerous than marijuana. But that cat has long been out of the bag.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      For that matter, society would probably be better off if tobacco smoking had never become a major legal industry. I have no doubt it's more dangerous than marijuana. But that cat has long been out of the bag.
      But cigarette smokers are becoming more and more "second class citizens", with many municipalities outlawing smoking in any public buildings - even privately owned restaurants.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But cigarette smokers are becoming more and more "second class citizens", with many municipalities outlawing smoking in any public buildings - even privately owned restaurants.
        I do think privately owned businesses should have the right to allow it. I just won't go there.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I do think privately owned businesses should have the right to allow it. I just won't go there.
          I guess I'm a libertarian in that regard -- a private business, say a bar or bowling alley, should be allowed to make a business decision that they can make more money by allowing OR disallowing smoking. Customers have a choice of coming in or not. Personally, I wouldn't eat in a restaurant where smoking was permitted, and I could smell it. If they had a separate smoking section that TRULY was separate, that'd be different.

We had an IHOP that allowed smoking in one of their dining sections on weekends, but they weren't able to "contain" that smoke smell to just that section. Eventually, they just banned smoking altogether, because they got enough complaints from nonsmoking customers. But it was their choice.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-11-2014, 10:38 AM.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which would be your absolute right. Business owners should be given latitude to make decisions like that with the consumers/public being the final arbitrator on those decisions -- if they don't like them the owners of the business will lose revenue

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• No. Like tobacco I see it as a work of the flesh as spoken of in Galatians, ". . . Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; . . . witchcraft{φαρμακεια, pharmakeia}, . . . and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." -- Galatians 5:20, 21.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                No. Like tobacco I see it as a work of the flesh as spoken of in Galatians, ". . . Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; . . . witchcraft{φαρμακεια, pharmakeia}, . . . and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." -- Galatians 5:20, 21.
                Alcohol is just as much of a drug as these, if we're going to go by this particular etymology.

Comment

Alcohol is just as much of a drug as these, if we're going to go by this particular etymology.
                  Then why the distinction ". . . witchcraft, . . . drunkenness, . . ?" The first one is being brought under the control of the substance, and the latter one has lost control of one's judgment. Addiction to alcohol would also would apply to the former, and loss of control where it applies to the latter, μέθη methe. Is this true or not true?
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Nah. I can't really see any theological problem with it, but I still don't want to use it.
                    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Then why the distinction ". . . witchcraft, . . . drunkenness, . . ?" The first one is being brought under the control of the substance, and the latter one has lost control of one's judgment. Addiction to alcohol would also would apply to the former, and loss of control where it applies to the latter, μέθη methe. Is this true or not true?
                      "Witchcraft" is probably much more in the spirit of the context. I think tobacco smoking is a bad idea but I don't think it falls in line with what Paul had in mind there. This verse has also been used to argue against Christians taking medicine, and if we're going to take it that literally, it could support that idea too. I think we should stick with the likely context of pagan rituals.

Comment

"Witchcraft" is probably much more in the spirit of the context. I think tobacco smoking is a bad idea but I don't think it falls in line with what Paul had in mind there. This verse has also been used to argue against Christians taking medicine, and if we're going to take it that literally, it could support that idea too. I think we should stick with the likely context of pagan rituals.
                        Believe what you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...#Early_history

Comment

I believe nothing on wikipedia that's in any way controversial.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• At most, this establishes that Christians shouldn't be using tobacco as a part of pagan religious rituals.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I believe nothing on wikipedia that's in any way controversial.
                              Not just wikipedia . . .

(CNN) -- Tobacco was first used by the peoples of the pre-Columbian Americas. Native Americans apparently cultivated the plant and smoked it in pipes for medicinal and ceremonial purposes.

Comment

• If we're dealing strictly in terms of theology, with politics and societal practicality aside, I wouldn't be at all quick to disassociate drugs with sorcery considering the human devastation (physically, mentally and spirtually) the former leaves in its wake. It might be bit more of a grey area for legal drugs, though probably not by much.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X