Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

For Christians only - If pot were legal in your state would you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, not interested.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
      yeah, if its Christian pot, like Christian beer, Christian cigarettes, and Christian Rock
      This is a nonsensical comparison. Rock music is nothing like any of the others, and legitimately can contain religious lyrical content.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        This is a nonsensical comparison. Rock music is nothing like any of the others, and legitimately can contain religious lyrical content.
        ok. Sorry.

But for me, give me that ole time religion
        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          This is for Christians only.

So if marijuana was legal where you live would you use it recreationally? I am not talking about abusing it and becoming a pot head, but in the same manner as many Christians drink alcohol occasionally but not to the point of becoming a drunkard.

Vote in the poll then explain your answer below.
          I have never partaken, not sure why I'd start now.

I could give a hoot about it. I think the answer is legalize it for avoiding hypocrisy's sake, and then tax the hell out of it.

Comment

yeah, if its Christian pot, like Christian beer, Christian cigarettes, and Christian Rock
            Old time religion, read Col 2 about people with their man made rules on what to touch, say, eat, etc... and how it's a shadow of the real thing, and not a positive shadow at that. It's a NO NO for you to impose those rules on people, and even on yourself.

Where the spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. Who are you to strip another man's freedom away, whether by preaching or passive aggressive insinuations? It's wrong and Anti Christ behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by HeteroDoxic View Post
              I have never partaken, not sure why I'd start now.

I could give a hoot about it. I think the answer is legalize it for avoiding hypocrisy's sake, and then tax the hell out of it.
              pretty much what they are doing in Colorado from what I understand.

Comment

Old time religion, read Col 2 about people with their man made rules on what to touch, say, eat, etc... and how it's a shadow of the real thing, and not a positive shadow at that. It's a NO NO for you to impose those rules on people, and even on yourself.

Where the spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. Who are you to strip another man's freedom away, whether by preaching or passive aggressive insinuations? It's wrong and Anti Christ behavior.
                the same Paul also said be not conformed to this world (Romans 12)

everybody is different, and everybody has their personal association with different customs .

I believe we are judged by our motives (IOW, the same act by one person may be motivated by a desire to please Jesus, while the same act by some other person may be motivated to lead others astray)

I make no rule for you.
                To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

the same Paul also said be not conformed to this world (Romans 12)
                  It also says JESUS wept and to BE LIKE JESUS, so since you aren't crying you are christian.
                  (Just demonstrating what jerking a stray verse with no application can do to the message...)

How do you think be not conformed to this world applies to the topic, and how do you reconcile your view on this verse, with the Where the Spirit of the lord is there is freedom and the col 2 verses??????

You made no effort to.

So you just evaded them.

Which means you don't try to reconcile, you just try to argue.
                  AND THAT means speaking with you may hold little value other than a study in eisegetics.

I believe we are judged by our motives (IOW, the same act by one person may be motivated by a desire to please Jesus, while the same act by some other person may be motivated to lead others astray)
                  When you say things like, smoking, drinking, etc... which aren't exactly issues in the BIBLE they are just rules men make up that they suspect might be issues most likely because of their guilt, which means they are immature in Godly Proper Love 1 john 4 :16-19, then those issues become red herring issues where you think you do something for God and aren't. They distract you from the purpose.

A focus on rules like that literally leads you away from GOD not to Him. THis can be explained in many examples....

Comment

pretty much what they are doing in Colorado from what I understand.
                    Yeah, I have no issue with it. IN FACT, if the church stands up and makes a big deal out of it, they are being ANTI Christ. :) That's a great phrase and argument to piss off the evangelical right.

Comment

I have no problem at all with medical marijuana. To me that is just like any other medicine. And as far as recreational use by Christians, as long as they are responsible in their use (don't be drunken basically) or allow it to affect their relationship with church and family (say, like an alcoholic might do) - then I really don't have a problem with that either.

I don't think I would use it personally, I don't even drink. And smoking it probably is bad for your health, since it is probably like smoking unfiltered cigarettes.

Comment

It also says JESUS wept and to BE LIKE JESUS, so since you aren't crying you are christian.
                        (Just demonstrating what jerking a stray verse with no application can do to the message...)

How do you think be not conformed to this world applies to the topic, and how do you reconcile your view on this verse, with the Where the Spirit of the lord is there is freedom and the col 2 verses??????

You made no effort to.

So you just evaded them.

Which means you don't try to reconcile, you just try to argue.
                        AND THAT means speaking with you may hold little value other than a study in eisegetics.

When you say things like, smoking, drinking, etc... which aren't exactly issues in the BIBLE they are just rules men make up that they suspect might be issues most likely because of their guilt, which means they are immature in Godly Proper Love 1 john 4 :16-19, then those issues become red herring issues where you think you do something for God and aren't. They distract you from the purpose.

A focus on rules like that literally leads you away from GOD not to Him. THis can be explained in many examples....
                        ok, I surrender

Comment

Sorry, but religious holiday observation and dietary choices that Paul is talking about are in no way related to drug use. I would say this verse can apply here:

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful; all things are lawful for me, but all things do not edify.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have no problem at all with medical marijuana. To me that is just like any other medicine. And as far as recreational use by Christians, as long as they are responsible in their use (don't be drunken basically) or allow it to affect their relationship with church and family (say, like an alcoholic might do) - then I really don't have a problem with that either.

I don't think I would use it personally, I don't even drink. And smoking it probably is bad for your health, since it is probably like smoking unfiltered cigarettes.
                            Man, when I use quotes I get double print in my box.... so I cant' even see how to selective quote your comments as the first [--quote--xyz} part is buried... annoying.

But we re mostly on the same page there.

Comment

Yeah, I have no issue with it. IN FACT, if the church stands up and makes a big deal out of it, they are being ANTI Christ. :)
                              ioygg-29970611248.jpeg
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

ok, I surrender
                                ???? WHAT?

if you appear to have to change your views, you just roll up in a ball and run away?

Armadillo theology...

How scary to have a faith so weak any challenge sent you running. :(

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X