Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what am I doing in Civics 101?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what kinds of things will you be considering, "Social Issues," JP? Sadly, what with the "Emergent Church" and "Social Justice" Craze that went through the church a few years back, it seems like (with some lingering spots here and there)- when it comes to bringing up social issues- there's a lot of wheat and chaff to separate in people's minds.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Ron Nash wrote some great material on "social justice."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        So what kinds of things will you be considering, "Social Issues," JP? Sadly, what with the "Emergent Church" and "Social Justice" Craze that went through the church a few years back, it seems like (with some lingering spots here and there)- when it comes to bringing up social issues- there's a lot of wheat and chaff to separate in people's minds.
        The exact contents are up in the air for now, since it's so far off. Generally I know I want to do specific social issues (same sex marriage, universal health care, etc) as well as primers on political responsibility. I'll figure out more specifics when I get done with one of the current e-book projects.

Comment

JP, I've been saying for years that our typical electorate voter could not pass the citizenship test given to immigrants.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            JP, I've been saying for years that our typical electorate voter could not pass the citizenship test given to immigrants.
            I have horror stories galore from my encounters with Rick Scott voters. The fact that his opponent Charlie Crist was a Democrat who was our former governor -- as a Republican at the time -- made it especially ironic. Scott would target Crist for a host of economic measures he took as governor, ignoring the fact that all of them had to be approved first by the Legislature -- which was, and still is, heavily dominated by the GOP, and includes many of the same people now under Scott as it did under Crist. That included Scott's own lieutenant governor, who as a legislator approved of every single one of Crist's economic measures.

Somehow that was too difficult for Scott voters to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
              That might fit with our issues with water supply. What I had in mind though was more like a carpetbagger phenomenon.
              I feel as though I don't know what you mean. Wikipedia says, "The term is still used today to refer to an outsider perceived as using manipulation or fraud . . . "

I don't think outsiders moving to Florida to take advantage of its "free" resources such as parks and roads is the basic problem. Rather, those resources are made available to the public at ZERO marginal cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                I don't think outsiders moving to Florida to take advantage of its "free" resources such as parks and roads is the basic problem.
                I would not say "the" basic problem, no. But it is one of several. Natives like myself have adapted and expanded the carpetbagger theme to include the phenomenon. It is inclusive of Scott himself, who barely made the 7 year residency requirement to run for governor. In the same way, people who care nothing for the state except low taxes and good weather have moved here and taken advantage of it to the detriment of those who have lived here all our lives.

Comment

Condolences to you for wading in the cesspit that is Civics 101.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Ain't that the truth. I wonder if even half could pass a history or civics test designed for a 7th grader.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I majored in Social Studies Education so I tend not to have a good feel for how much people actually know. So much of what, to me, is "common knowledge" is probably pretty obscure to most Americans.

I don't expect everybody to know extended details about the Monroe Doctrine. I do expect people to know the basics about Constitutional rights... certainly before pontificating about "free speech".
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Condolences to you for wading in the cesspit that is Civics 101.
                        I've dealt with stuff like the Zeitgeist movie. I'm used to the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I don't expect everybody to know extended details about the Monroe Doctrine. I do expect people to know the basics about Constitutional rights... certainly before pontificating about "free speech".
                          Case in point: The number of wackos who think moderation on a place like TheologyWeb or YouTube is "censorship" contrary to free speech rights.

Funny, I just read a bio of James Monroe, too. Stuff like the Monroe Doctrine has been part of my knowledge base for so long I can't remember ever NOT knowing about it...

Comment

I would be in favor of a requirement that you have to pass a basic knowledge test on areas like government and economics to be able to vote.

I can't help but think of what I heard someone say years ago when I worked at a grocery store.

"I'd vote for Hillary for president because I think it'd be cool to have a woman president."

High school never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                              I would be in favor of a requirement that you have to pass a basic knowledge test on areas like government and economics to be able to vote.

I can't help but think of what I heard someone say years ago when I worked at a grocery store.

"I'd vote for Hillary for president because I think it'd be cool to have a woman president."

High school never ends.
                              It's far more important IMO that everyone lives according to the Decalogue. If we had that, would we still need government? If we did have government, won't it be much better? I've said before that the quality of the people is far more important than the quality of the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                It's far more important IMO that everyone lives according to the Decalogue. If we had that, would we still need government? If we did have government, won't it be much better? I've said before that the quality of the people is far more important than the quality of the government.
                                Oh I agree, but in a country that protects the freedom of people to even be atheists, not everyone will go along with this. I think one of the hardest ones to push on people today would be the one about adultery.

Comment