Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" a legitimate question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Great. Good for you. I cannot imagine nothingness.
    Carricature is right on this one, nothingness even if it doesn't exist is an entirely coherent notion.

Comment

It is kind of like describing a static finite square circle on a flat surface. I just gave a description of an impossible finite 2D object.
      A square circle (the 'static' and 'finite' qualifiers are superfluous), is not only impossible qua not being capable of being physically manifest. Its impossible because its a logically self-defeating notion.

The same isn't true of nothingness, which is impossible to instantiate... something can't be an instance of nothing, so if anything exists you can't find nothingness. However the abstract notion of nothingness is not self-defeating.
      Last edited by Leonhard; 12-22-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        This is actually a big problem for you Carrikature. I don't think a universe that admits of a causal explanation for anything, except for the whole thing, is actually a coherent notion.
        You should at least state the problem, not just say that there is one. I don't see a problem, and I don't find it concerning that you don't find it a coherent notion. So what?

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Are you aware of the arguments theists give for why you can't ask the same question about God, but you can ask that question of the universe?
        I know some people work backwards from "things exist" to some root cause that becomes logically necessary, but I think it's nonsense. Just because you can establish something that must exist for everything else to exist doesn't mean you can establish that things have to exist in the first place (which is the OP question, btw). Theists give all sorts of arguments about pretty much everything, though, so the existence of arguments doesn't mean much to me. If you have something particular in mind, trot it out.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          I can't tell if you're intentionally distorting the words or just can't keep it straight yourself. The example you gave was logically contradictory. It is in no way comparable to the conception of non-existence. Non-existence is not logically contradictory. I can pretty easily conceive of nothing rather than something, as I've said already.
          We really disagree here. In my understanding to claim non-existence to exist as a concept is a logical fallacy. It is therefore a logical contradiction, as I understand it.
          Last edited by 37818; 12-23-2014, 10:36 AM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

A square circle (the 'static' and 'finite' qualifiers are superfluous), is not only impossible qua not being capable of being physically manifest. Its impossible because its a logically self-defeating notion.
            We are in disagreement. A simple three dimentional object which consists of both square and circle shapes does exist. An infinite square circle is conceivable.
            The same isn't true of nothingness, which is impossible to instantiate... something can't be an instance of nothing, so if anything exists you can't find nothingness. However the abstract notion of nothingness is not self-defeating.
            We are in disagreement. Explain its conception as a reality unto itself.
            Last edited by 37818; 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This is actually a big problem for you Carrikature. I don't think a universe that admits of a causal explanation for anything, except for the whole thing, is actually a coherent notion.
              I'm not sure I see anything incoherent about a universe which admits of a causal explanation for anything within it, but not for itself. However, more problematically, I don't see that our particular universe does admit of a causal explanation for anything, except for the whole thing.

Are you aware of the arguments theists give for why you can't ask the same question about God, but you can ask that question of the universe?
              I can't speak for Carrikature, but I'm aware of these arguments, and I find them wholly unconvincing. I see nothing which would prevent the natural cosmos from being a non-contingent entity in similar manner as is claimed by Classical Theists for God.
              "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
              --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

We are in disagreement. A simple three dimentional object which consists of both square and circle shapes does exist. An infinite square circle is conceivable.
                I'd agree that an infinite square is conceivable, provided we are utilizing a number system which would allow for such concepts (for example, the Hyperreals). However, a square is, by definition, a two dimensional figure, as is a circle. A three dimensional object composed of both square shapes and circle shapes is neither a square nor a circle.

We are in disagreement. Explain its conception as a reality unto itself.
                I'll agree with you, here. The sort of ideal, Platonic "nothing" as a concept seems self-defeating, to me. In order for the concept to have any meaning, at all, one needs to define it and therefore ascribe properties to it. However, "nothing" cannot have properties, otherwise it becomes a thing.

That said, there are ways in which the term can be utilized which are not, in my opinion, paradoxical. For example, if I were to say, "There is nothing north of the North Pole," I am not claiming that the philosophical ideal of "nothing" is extant at some real location. Rather, I am saying that "north of the North Pole" is not a cogent concept. Similarly, if I were to claim, "There was nothing before the universe came into being," I am not saying that "nothing" was actually extant prior to the universe. I am saying that "before the universe came into being" is not a cogent concept.

So, if one considers "nothing" to be an actually possible state of affairs, I would absolutely agree that it is self-defeating. However, if one uses "nothing" as an indicator that no actually possible state of affairs can satisfy a particular scenario, I find nothing wrong with the phrase (pun intended).
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  You should at least state the problem, not just say that there is one. I don't see a problem, and I don't find it concerning that you don't find it a coherent notion. So what?
                  I'd be wrong to say that you're effectively disagreeing with the principle of sufficient reason?

I know some people work backwards from "things exist" to some root cause that becomes logically necessary, but I think it's nonsense. Just because you can establish something that must exist for everything else to exist doesn't mean you can establish that things have to exist in the first place (which is the OP question, btw).
                  Things exist. Obviously. I'm not sure what you mean otherwise when you say whether one can 'establish that things have to exist in the first place'. If you're asking whether things could exist, if for instance God didn't exist, I don't think that would be true either. As long as we're merely talking about a universe where there's a difference between things existing, and not-existing and there's a similar causality to this world... then yes you'd end up concluding that God exists.

Comment

We are in disagreement. A simple three dimentional object which consists of both square and circle shapes does exist.
                    I'd love to see it. I wonder if you're talking about a representation of a circle by an infinite number of pixels.

Explain its [nothingness?] conception as a reality unto itself.
                    Do you mind explaining this sentence? It doesn't make sense, I'm not sure what you're asking me to do. Do you want me to explain how nothingness comes into existence... that's a contradictory notion. Nothingness can't begin to exist, and it certainly doesn't exist as a reality... next to this one... on its own... really 37818, I'm trying to understand you here but you're not being clear at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      I can't speak for Carrikature, but I'm aware of these arguments, and I find them wholly unconvincing. I see nothing which would prevent the natural cosmos from being a non-contingent entity in similar manner as is claimed by Classical Theists for God.
                      Does the universe undergo motion?

Comment

Does the universe undergo motion?
                        The universe as a whole? No. Motion is a description of localized phenomena within the universe.

Comment

The universe as a whole? No. Motion is a description of localized phenomena within the universe.
                          Change of any kind, I was using the philosophical terminology. Does the entropy of the universe increase? Do excited states of particles decay to ground state?

Comment

I'd be wrong to say that you're effectively disagreeing with the principle of sufficient reason?
                            You'd not be.

Things exist. Obviously. I'm not sure what you mean otherwise when you say whether one can 'establish that things have to exist in the first place'. If you're asking whether things could exist, if for instance God didn't exist, I don't think that would be true either.
                            Yes, things exist. The question is if things have to exist. You can't, for example, claim that God is the root cause of all things and then proceed to say that God exists because things need a cause.

As long as we're merely talking about a universe where there's a difference between things existing, and not-existing and there's a similar causality to this world... then yes you'd end up concluding that God exists.
                            I wouldn't and don't end up concluding that.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Change of any kind, I was using the philosophical terminology. Does the entropy of the universe increase? Do excited states of particles decay to ground state?
                              Those would still be descriptions of localized phenomena within the universe, and not of the universe as a whole. So I would still say that, no, I do not believe that the cosmos as a whole undergoes change of any kind.

Comment

Those would still be descriptions of localized phenomena within the universe, and not of the universe as a whole. So I would still say that, no, I do not believe that the cosmos as a whole undergoes change of any kind.
                                I'm not sure that makes sense. If we can talk about a screen of pixels, and you change any one of them, then it would be true that the screen of pixels had changed. Likewise if I strike a match, it from not being lit, to being lit, and a change would have occurred in the universe.

Comment