Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" a legitimate question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Of course that is what he says Jim, he is not inarticulate.
    Obviously he is seer, otherwise you would better understand him.

Jim there is no place that does not include space, there is no evidence of such a place.
    And you know this, how? Answer this then. Can physical things exist if there is no "space" for them to exist within?

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
      Duh. The quantum realm... Have you not seen Ant-Man?
      No, but it clearly at present re[resents the limits of your knowledge in physics and cosmology.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        No, but it clearly at present re[resents the limits of your knowledge in physics and cosmology.

1. I have forgotten more about physics and cosmology than you will ever know.

2. Have you ever published any peer-reviewed research?

3. Why can't you spell or construct proper sentences?

4. You still never explained how you "do science" for a living.

I have an idea. Pick a paper from the primary literature and we can critically evaluate it, discuss it, and quiz each other on it...that will put this issue to rest. Put up or shut up.
        Last edited by element771; 05-08-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Again Jim, go to 5min, what is doing the tunnelling if there is no prior quantum material as he says? And he also clearly said that the ONLY PRIOR thing necessary are the laws of physics.

Again, that is exactly what he is saying here:

The nothing ONLY includes the laws of physics... And you keep speaking of this mysterious something where energy exists that is not in space. Where is that place? How do we find it?

Vilenkin himself acknowledges that the description of the creation of the universe from nothing is given in terms of the laws of physics, we have yet to answer where are these laws? If these laws describe the creation of the universe, that suggests they existed prior to the universe. The question that can’t be answered at this stage where these laws come from and why these laws in particular?

But he rules out the necessity for a “cause”. “In quantum physics, events do not necessarily have a cause, just some probability. As such, there is some probability for the universe to pop out of “nothing.” You can find the relative probability for it to be this size or that size and have various properties, but there will not be a particular cause for any of it, just probabilities.”

http://now.tufts.edu/articles/beginning-was-beginning
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            And you know this, how? Answer this then. Can physical things exist if there is no "space" for them to exist within?
            Jim, if you think energy can exist apart from space then it is on you to show how, or where this place is.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

1. I have forgotten more about physics and cosmology than you will ever know.

2. Have you ever published any peer-reviewed research?

3. Why can't you spell or construct proper sentences?

4. You still never explained how you "do science" for a living.

I have an idea. Pick a paper from the primary literature and we can critically evaluate it, discuss it, and quiz each other on it...that will put this issue to rest. Put up or shut up.

Put up or shut up.

You have presented nothing to support the ridiculous assertion that your 'opinion' that your rejection of the multiverse hypothesis is 100% Science (Yuck! Yuck!). Where are the reams of peer reviewed papers by physicists and cosmologists supporting your foolishness.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                You have presented nothing to support the ridiculous assertion that your 'opinion' that your rejection of the multiverse hypothesis is 100% Science (Yuck! Yuck!). Where are the reams of peer reviewed papers by physicists and cosmologists supporting your foolishness.
                I have explained my skepticism of the multiverse from a scientific perspective. My opinion is a scientific one and I have the credential, experience, and CV to back it up...how about you?

Unlike yourself, I am a real scientist... not a pretend scientist.

Comment

Jim, if you think energy can exist apart from space then it is on you to show how, or where this place is.
                  Neither of us can tell each other what we don't know, I'm simply asking what you think, because you implied that physical things cannot exist without the existence of "space" for them to exist in. So, is that your argument, that there is nothing outside of the universe because since there is no 'space", nothing could exist there?

Comment

Can physical things exist if there is no "space" for them to exist within?
                    This is the type of question that can give you a stroke.

It is like the chicken or the egg...

I would say no BUT then how is the universe here?

If you say yes...then that "non-space" has to have certain properties that make it look a lot like normal "space".

Really nice question...concise and thought provoking.

Comment

Can physical things exist if there is no "space" for them to exist within?
                      Matter defines space. Doesn't it.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Matter defines space. Doesn't it.
                        I would say more energy but E=mc^2 so...

Comment

I would say more energy but E=mc^2 so...
                          I once heard a description of space and time that went, "space is the relationship between objects, and time is the relationship between events." While true - objects are matter and events are really about energy - and E=MC^2 - so the description DOES have its limitations.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Neither of us can tell each other what we don't know, I'm simply asking what you think, because you implied that physical things cannot exist without the existence of "space" for them to exist in. So, is that your argument, that there is nothing outside of the universe because since there is no 'space", nothing could exist there?
                            Jim you are the one suggesting this mystical land of fairies. It is not on me to disprove it.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Jim you are the one suggesting this mystical land of fairies. It is not on me to disprove it.
                              I'm not asking you to disprove anything, i'm asking your opinion since you suggested as much in a previous post. So, is that what you think or not, i.e. that nothing can exist outside of space? Why is that so hard to answer?

Comment

I'm not asking you to disprove anything, i'm asking your opinion since you suggested as much in a previous post. So, is that what you think or not, i.e. that nothing can exist outside of space? Why is that so hard to answer?
                                No, I don't think anything physical can exist outside of space.

Comment