Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How's this sound?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    Ummm, Tendai is one of the most prestigious Buddhist sects in Japan. I would think they would have some baring on the historical as well as current state of Buddhism in general (the Enryaku-ji is practically a mob front these days). And the comparative violence of Western religions is hardly relevant. I'm not trying to saying that Hindus and Buddhists are a bunch of violent thugs. They do a lot of good. I just think you idealize them too much, especially when you act as though all their violence is somehow provoked by the West.
    Over statement on Enryaku-ji in relation to Buddhism as a whole, especially in a Shinto dominated synchronistic culture. It is like saying the Italian Mafia represents Christianity. It really is not the subject ot the thread.

But anyway, I suppose it's my fault for starting this rabbit hole by assuming Watts is a respected authority on Buddhism.
    Allan Watts bounced around Christianity, Taoism and some Buddhism in his writings. He did express some insight into the nature of Taoism and Buddhism, but he did not express himself as an academic authority. Actually the citation was the subject and the nature of how Allan Watts expressed his views on religion based on the context of the citation.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Bahai / Unitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes it is myth. I do believe that the universe is the physical body of God. in other words even our physical world with all its pain and suffering is part of Gods kingdom.I believe the Word or the utterance of God that all things owe there existence too is pure and beyond the duality of our world. In our world we have to experience some hell to truly appreciate heaven. If all one knew was heavenly bliss would that soul appreciate it if it was all it ever experienced?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Indeed I was not making such a connection. I responded quite clearly to " I have studied Hinduism and Buddhism for many years, and never found them to hate anything." All the violence seen was not related to hate?
    The scripture of Vedic culture and Buddhism does not describe nor project a conflict between good and evil, nor us versus them theology (eg; the Book of Revelation), and the degree they consider the physical world an illusion and impermanent there is no context within the scripture for hatred, tolerance, nor intolerance of others based on difference of beliefs. Shinto of Japan on the other hand has its roots as a warrior religion.

Yes, human nature itself regardless of religion nor belief system may harbor and act out hatred, but the fundamental belief of these religions does not support it.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-19-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Njoroge View Post
    Yes it is myth. I do believe that the universe is the physical body of God. in other words even our physical world with all its pain and suffering is part of Gods kingdom.I believe the Word or the utterance of God that all things owe there existence too is pure and beyond the duality of our world. In our world we have to experience some hell to truly appreciate heaven. If all one knew was heavenly bliss would that soul appreciate it if it was all it ever experienced?
    I would not consider the physical universe the physical body of God, because that would e pantheistic. I believe it is a physical Creation by God that reflects eternally the attributes of God. Not exactly the the same, but more like panentheism. The nature of God remains ultimately unknowable, and apophatic. I elieve we can only know the attributes of God through Revelation and the attributes of nature.

Frank