Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How's this sound?

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    What if it's really God's belief while he's pretending he's you not believing it's your belief but it's really your belief because it's God's belief?

Do you believe this belief can cause some problems?
    ???

tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This Alan Watts seems to be a really bad communicator......if what he is trying to explain are the (original) concepts of Atman/Avatar (Hinduism) and Tathagatagarba (Buddhism).

Basically these religions have the idea that we all possess "Divine possibilities" (incarnation) within us and "enlightenment" awakens ones "Divine-nature/Avatar or Buddha-nature. In some Hinduism, "Atman (soul) is Brahman"...that is the soul connects to the Divine. In this aspect it may be similar to some Christianities as they also posit that the "holy spirit" possesses/guides people (Holy Spirit=God) or the idea that Jesus Christ is God incarnate---or to put it in Hindu terms he is God's "avatar"........

Faith
    UdoxChristian/Adoptionist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    ???
    I was being serious, mostly, critiques were requested. Where, "He pretends that he is you and I and all the people in the world, all the animals, plants, all the rocks, and all the stars." If what you believe is actually a god pretending to believe something because he's pretending to be you, how would you ever know what you really believe?

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was being serious, mostly, critiques were requested. Where, "He pretends that he is you and I and all the people in the world, all the animals, plants, all the rocks, and all the stars." If what you believe is actually a god pretending to believe something because he's pretending to be you, how would you ever know what you really believe?
    All is illusion.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by siam View Post
    This Alan Watts seems to be a really bad communicator......if what he is trying to explain are the (original) concepts of Atman/Avatar (Hinduism) and Tathagatagarba (Buddhism).

Basically these religions have the idea that we all possess "Divine possibilities" (incarnation) within us and "enlightenment" awakens ones "Divine-nature/Avatar or Buddha-nature. In some Hinduism, "Atman (soul) is Brahman"...that is the soul connects to the Divine. In this aspect it may be similar to some Christianities as they also posit that the "holy spirit" possesses/guides people (Holy Spirit=God) or the idea that Jesus Christ is God incarnate---or to put it in Hindu terms he is God's "avatar"........
    The difference though, is that Jesus remains a man at the same time as He is inhabited by God and most Christians would say he is still is a godman eternally.

As I understand it, Hinduism and Buddhism don't allow that. Rama was not always aware that he was an avatar of Vishnu. It had to be revealed to him by Indra. When Rama died, Vishnu ceased to be Rama. Vishnu would latter be born as Krishna.

Faith
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    All is illusion.
    Yeah I guess that's anther thing that makes me uncomfortable about it, there's no ultimate truth about what you're experiencing, it's all pretend.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah I guess that's anther thing that makes me uncomfortable about it, there's no ultimate truth about what you're experiencing, it's all pretend.
    Suffering results from clinging on to the illusion.

Enlightenment comes from acceptance: all is illusory and meaningless. Embrace this truth, and you shall transcend everything.

Faith
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Suffering results from clinging on to the illusion.

Enlightenment comes from acceptance: all is illusory and meaningless. Embrace this truth, and you shall transcend everything.
    That would mean love is also an illusion, what kind of existence will you transcend to without love? Buddha and also Jesus taught that unrealistic desires like want of fame and fortune lead to much unnecessary suffering. Healthy desires like wanting to have love and compassion for people lead to less suffering.

It's probably more practical to focus on ridding ourselves of unhealthy desires that cause us to chase after illusions, and to accept the reality we do have. For example if most people think being hungry is just an illusion and they try to starve themselves, they're probably going to end up with some unnecessary suffering. Buddha accepted that reality, ate, and got Enlightened.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, I think I got it.

10. Amen JohnnyP amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Muslim
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    The difference though, is that Jesus remains a man at the same time as He is inhabited by God and most Christians would say he is still is a godman eternally.

As I understand it, Hinduism and Buddhism don't allow that. Rama was not always aware that he was an avatar of Vishnu. It had to be revealed to him by Indra. When Rama died, Vishnu ceased to be Rama. Vishnu would latter be born as Krishna.
    I agree that though religions may appear to be similar in their generalities...they differ in their details and nuances......
    Hinduism is much too diverse and therefore difficult to discuss....but in some Hinduism, Atman (soul) is Brahman(God) therefore it (soul) is eternal...so,.... all human beings are (potential) "godmen"........
    Some Hinduism differentiates between Atman (soul) and Prana (life-force), others don't.....