Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Rahab and lying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    what about lying to spare someone's feelings? (white lies)
    Sparko will be a GREAT owner of Tweb!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Sparko will be a GREAT owner of Tweb!

...er wait! wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Why would you let in some ax wielding nut in the first place???
        If he has an axe maybe he let himself in

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Ok, I suppose that was a dumb question. I should've just left it out, methinks.
          No, it was a very good question, in my opinion. Bearing false witness can be much worse than a simple lie. From the Jewish juridical system that we know best, it is the false witness who acts as the prosecutor and the judge(s) who have responsibility of also acting as an advocate for the defense. Thus, a unanimous verdict of guilt could be ignored because it meant that none of the judges had assumed responsibility for defending the accused. The false witness seeks to bring a proceeding against someone on their false accusation, which could sometimes be tantamount to murder or theft or some other kind of injustice. It could easily be much worse than a lie or even perjury. Traditionally, a lie is giving false information or otherwise misleading someone who not only has an expectation of the truth but who has a right to the truth. Nazis, axe murderers, and others who would use the truth unjustly do not necessarily have a right to the truth. They do not just forfeit their right to the truth, they may never have had a right to some particular truth in the first place.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X