Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Creatio ex deo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    OK for your particular case I will retract it, but yes, Creatio Exnihilo is in deed a widely held view even in the Roman Church, and widely argued in logical argument here and by many established Christian theologians, who in their arguments argue against the possibility of an infinite and eternal existence. This thread was part of the argument as to this possibility in how the relationship between God and Creation is considered. If you review the thread you will find many negative posts challenging this possibility. Please note that I said 'may be uncomfortable' and not a definitive that 'you are uncomfortable.'
    I already noted that, but a hypothetical and false ad hominem can be even worse than one based in fact so thank you for the retraction.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

IF our physical existence is infinite and eternal and God exists there would be a parallel eternal infinite Matrix of existence that reflects the Nature and Attributes of God. The concept that possibly our physical existence was directly Created form a 'Part' of God would still descriptive of a beginning, not Exnihilo, but a beginning from the essence of God.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment