Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are Christians Afraid To Talk About the Devil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think the bulk of mental illness (if not all of it) is caused by sin and/or demons.
    Sin in the world is the cause of all the ills we suffer from. If you mean that sinning causes mental illness I disagree. I am not sure how much emphasis to put on the work of demons. They certainly exist, but beyond that I will not comment.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm not afraid to talk about the devil - I just don't find many opportunities where it's necessary. I'd much rather talk about Jesus.
      I think that it is seldom useful to talk about the devil when sharing Christ.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think sometimes the devil gets too much credit --- some of the sin we do is because we WANT to do it, not because "the devil made me do it". I like to focus on the fact that Christ has set us free from the POWER of sin, and we can choose NOT to sin, for we are not slaves to sin, but slaves to righteousness.

Source: Romans 6

19 I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think sometimes the devil gets too much credit --- some of the sin we do is because we WANT to do it, not because "the devil made me do it". I like to focus on the fact that Christ has set us free from the POWER of sin, and we can choose NOT to sin, for we are not slaves to sin, but slaves to righteousness.

19 I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You said it much better than I did, brother.

Comment

I'm not afraid to talk about the devil - I just don't find many opportunities where it's necessary. I'd much rather talk about Jesus.
            But didn't Jesus interact with devils and Satan himself? I can't imagine talking about Jesus without talking about the temptation in the desert, or how he saw Satan fall like a flash of lightning from heaven, or how through his death He destroyed "the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil" (Heb 2:14). I don't think its necessary to discuss Satan all the time, and in fact, I think there are some churches that do nothing but talk about Satan (especially as part of some hellfire and brimstone message) but in certain circles, even when Christians talk to other Christians, a lot times there seems to be a certain understanding that "we don't talk about that". Have you noticed that at all? Its okay if you haven't. Like I said, I think it largely depends on the circles you find yourself in.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              But didn't Jesus interact with devils and Satan himself?
              Sure, but, for instance, in the entire "upper room discourse" (John Chapters 13-17) there's precious little focus on satan (with the obvious exception of the Judas incident) and WAY more focus on the "vertical dualism" of God coming down in the form of Christ, going back up to His Father, Jesus and the Father being One, etc....

I can't imagine talking about Jesus without talking about the temptation in the desert, or how he saw Satan fall like a flash of lightning from heaven, or how through his death He destroyed "the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil" (Heb 2:14). I don't think its necessary to discuss Satan all the time, and in fact, I think there are some churches that do nothing but talk about Satan (especially as part of some hellfire and brimstone message) but in certain circles, even when Christians talk to other Christians, a lot times there seems to be a certain understanding that "we don't talk about that".
              I noticed we don't talk much about foot washing.

Have you noticed that at all? Its okay if you haven't. Like I said, I think it largely depends on the circles you find yourself in.
              I think that's probably true, and, being the Pastor, I generally set the tone, I guess, of the discussion, and what it's about.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But we're also told,

Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
                Is there not maybe a middle way between giving the devil too much credit and not giving him enough?

Comment

But we're also told,
                  Yes, we are to dress for combat!

Is there not maybe a middle way between giving the devil too much credit and not giving him enough?
                  OK, this may seem a bit silly, but I don't have diplomatic relations with Satan. Jesus fights my battles for me, and all I need to do is dress for battle and report for duty. In contending with the devil.... well, let Jude say it...

Source: Jde 1:9 KJV

9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

It's a good subject, Adrift, and I always enjoy interacting with you.

Comment

Yes, we are to dress for combat!

OK, this may seem a bit silly, but I don't have diplomatic relations with Satan. Jesus fights my battles for me, and all I need to do is dress for battle and report for duty. In contending with the devil.... well, let Jude say it...

Source: Jde 1:9 KJV

9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

We dress for battle, but we also carry a sword When I was in the military I didn't put on armor so that I could sit behind a wall and let someone else do my fighting. Ephesians says that this is "our struggle" not just Jesus' struggle.

It's a good subject, Adrift, and I always enjoy interacting with you.
                    You too CP!

Comment

We dress for battle, but we also carry a sword
                      And shield!

When I was in the military I didn't put on armor so that I could sit behind a wall and let someone else do my fighting. Ephesians says that this is "our struggle" not just Jesus' struggle.
                      Well, yeah, but we could play Bible battle all day:

Source: 2Ch 20:15 KJV

15 And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle [is] not yours, but God's.

I think we certainly need to be prepared for battle, but not everything we do is "battle". Jesus said they'll know we are His disciples by our love, not our warfare.

Maybe "a season for everything".

You too CP!

Comment

And shield!

Well, yeah, but we could play Bible battle all day:

Source: 2Ch 20:15 KJV

15 And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle [is] not yours, but God's.

I wonder if the Old Testament saints were equipped in the same those in Christ are thanks to the Holy Spirit. Maybe the Old Testament prophets who had the spirit for a time.

I think we certainly need to be prepared for battle, but not everything we do is "battle". Jesus said they'll know we are His disciples by our love, not our warfare.
                        That's why I believe maybe there's a middle way.

Maybe "a season for everything".

Comment

I wonder if the Old Testament saints were equipped in the same those in Christ are thanks to the Holy Spirit. Maybe the Old Testament prophets who had the spirit for a time.
                          Or COURAGE! Like when Joshua faced off "the man with the sword" and demanded to know if he was friend or foe, and found himself face to face with "the Captain of the Hosts of the Army of the Lord".

Joshua, son of Nun, meet Y'shua, Son of God!

That's why I believe maybe there's a middle way.
                          But you're allowing me to take your thread off topic. Perhaps we should stop chasing this rabbit and go back to the bush out from under which he ran!

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            I am interested if you see any correlation between the attitude towards discussion about Satan and his effects and the attitude towards discussion about the Spirit and its effects.
                            Their probably is a correlation. If you not inclined to believe their is a spiritual aspect, you'll deny both sides exists.

I'm wondering if their is a correlation between discussing Satan and discussing sin and its impact on the world.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Or COURAGE! Like when Joshua faced off "the man with the sword" and demanded to know if he was friend or foe, and found himself face to face with "the Captain of the Hosts of the Army of the Lord".

Joshua, son of Nun, meet Y'shua, Son of God!

But you're allowing me to take your thread off topic. Perhaps we should stop chasing this rabbit and go back to the bush out from under which he ran!
                              I think we're still close to the topic. Maybe this rabbit trail puts a light on another reason why Satan is rarely discussed among Christians. Maybe the church spent so much time talking about him, especially in hellfire and brimstone type teachings, that people were turned off by it, and the church swung in the opposite direction.

Comment

I think we're still close to the topic. Maybe this rabbit trail puts a light on another reason why Satan is rarely discussed among Christians. Maybe the church spent so much time talking about him, especially in hellfire and brimstone type teachings, that people were turned off by it, and the church swung in the opposite direction.
                                That's entirely possible -- but it also made me think (that's always dangerous).... I would rather people come to Jesus because of who He is, than run from the Devil because of fear or for "fire insurance".

Comment